Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Not sure if it's still the case, but I know from personal experience that (at least in 2013) you could get an 18 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon for $9.99 in College Park, Maryland. We went to Washington DC and stayed in Cheverly. Beautiful area and very quick train ride into DC. Would absolutely move there if given the opportunity. 

14 hours ago, wb3060 said:

Do you have any ideas how you are going to do this? I've been wondering as well what to write in them.... 

// also are you doing this for ones where they tell you to fill out an online form with your result? 

I'll just write very nice emails, thanking them for their generous offer and the effort they've made to provide me the information I needed to make my decision. And then say that I think my interests will be better served at another place, and that I wanted to inform them early on so they can re-allocate their resources and plan ahead.

And I don't have any where I need to fill out an online form in case I don't accept.

16 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

I'll just write very nice emails, thanking them for their generous offer and the effort they've made to provide me the information I needed to make my decision. And then say that I think my interests will be better served at another place, and that I wanted to inform them early on so they can re-allocate their resources and plan ahead.

And I don't have any where I need to fill out an online form in case I don't accept.

Thank you, that's very helpful!

On 3/5/2016 at 10:07 AM, maxtips said:

Anyone got some news from UIUC?

The department sent initial acceptances and rejections. If you had not heard from the department, you would have been in the unofficial waitlist. In IR, there are about 30 people in the waitlist. However, I heard that not really many people would be admitted from the list, since the department should have a very small cohort this year.  

On 3/4/2016 at 3:30 AM, IndEnth said:

For weeks, I was dreading receiving rejection letters, now I'm about to write them - and am dreading that just as much. Would have never bet I'd be in this situation one day.

May be you could carefully look into profiles of individuals who receive acceptance from schools where you have applied. Not just one person's academic profile but of majority who receive acceptance -- Even if you don't, just have faith that you will get it. Its highly unlikely that you do not get something in life in which you invest ''continuous'' hard-work.

9 hours ago, meteora said:

The department sent initial acceptances and rejections. If you had not heard from the department, you would have been in the unofficial waitlist. In IR, there are about 30 people in the waitlist. However, I heard that not really many people would be admitted from the list, since the department should have a very small cohort this year.  

I have been told that my file is under review , how do you know that initial acceptances went out? Thanks

36 minutes ago, fbeyza said:

I have been told that my file is under review , how do you know that initial acceptances went out? Thanks

I heard it from the coordinator.

12 hours ago, meteora said:

30 people waitlisted? It's really crazy...My chance is really slim now.

17 minutes ago, maxtips said:

30 people waitlisted? It's really crazy...My chance is really slim now.

It looks UIUC waits until some people decline their offers and contacts the applicants in the unofficial wait list. In fact, I am not sure whether some applicants are in a short wait list. Anyway, I heard only two or three people can be admitted in the field of IR this year. Thus, I really do not expect much. 

Edited by meteora

2 hours ago, westerndayday said:

Still haven't heard anything from UCLA. Starting to think that means I should just reach out to the department. Does anyone know who I should contact? 

Thanks!

Department website lists two Graduate advisors, one of whom "Coordinates graduate admission" among other things. Contact info here: http://www.polisci.ucla.edu/graduate/advisors. Good luck!

On 3/4/2016 at 2:35 PM, wb3060 said:

I suspect that those of us who haven't heard anything yet are on an informal wait list of sorts and on the 15th a large number of rejects will go out with a smaller number being moved to an official wait list with maybe 1 or 2 receiving an offer if anyone has declined so far. This is just my speculation though. 

I guess HUZZAH I'm on the unofficial waitlist, which is a damn bit better than I did with AU and GW.  But this is taking sooooooo long! Back in November, they told me decisions would be made within 6-8 weeks.

For those who got into DC area schools and wondering if your stipend will cover your living expenses....eh. I've lived in DC for 10 years now and would be happy to answer any questions you have, point you towards resources, etc. Everything is ungodly expensive around here. But I find the trade-offs worth it. Congrats on getting in and getting funding!

5 hours ago, Birdie said:

I guess HUZZAH I'm on the unofficial waitlist, which is a damn bit better than I did with AU and GW.  But this is taking sooooooo long! Back in November, they told me decisions would be made within 6-8 weeks.

For those who got into DC area schools and wondering if your stipend will cover your living expenses....eh. I've lived in DC for 10 years now and would be happy to answer any questions you have, point you towards resources, etc. Everything is ungodly expensive around here. But I find the trade-offs worth it. Congrats on getting in and getting funding!

Good to know that you still got a bird in the bush :-)

Since you are in DC and you applied to american Pol Sci as well, i am still waiting to hear from American Public administration Phd. No word on it. Its dealt by same SPA department that administers Pol Sci.  No results on Survey page (Accept reject both) and when i contacted them on 12 February they told me that they were expecting to extend offers in Ten days. Then i got email from their graduate department asking me stuff regarding degree scrolls and all. It made me happy that i have made it till the last of review process. Then it went all quite. Its been three weeks since. I am apprehensive because i really want to make it.

I tracked their result release dates for last five years at results survey page. Since last two years they have been releasing in last week of February But before that, for few years, as long as i could go back, they have been releasing in second week of march. Lets see how it pans out. Anyone here who applied to American SPA doctoral programs? Also, i know for fact that other two programs administered by SPA (Political science & Justice) both have released result. I dont know what to make of this information, too scattered to reach a reasonable conculsion if my application has reached the trash bin or its fighting its heart out like candle in the wind. And that my last application!!!

I actually applied to AU's SIS, since my interest is in state building , regime change, and democratization (and failures thereof). I'm clueless about what goes on at SPA!

23 hours ago, westerndayday said:

Still haven't heard anything from UCLA. Starting to think that means I should just reach out to the department. Does anyone know who I should contact? 

Thanks!

Try Joseph Brown!

Quick question - first, congrats to those admitted to BC today! I also applied but don't have a letter in the mail today. I logged onto the application portal and saw a new section about applying for financial aid. Any idea what this means?

Edit - I was on an old page. No one reported a BC admit today. Still - does the new existence of a financial aid section for the 2016-2017 year mean something? 

Edited by Straussian Dogmatist

Can anyone admitted to UNC tell me what the funding package is like? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it publicly. I am on the waitlist there and am curious if the funding is competitive compared to similar schools. 

On 3/7/2016 at 7:58 AM, Straussian Dogmatist said:

Quick question - first, congrats to those admitted to BC today! I also applied but don't have a letter in the mail today. I logged onto the application portal and saw a new section about applying for financial aid. Any idea what this means?

Edit - I was on an old page. No one reported a BC admit today. Still - does the new existence of a financial aid section for the 2016-2017 year mean something? 

Hello, I have seen your posts on BC and have been waiting for someone to respond to them myself. Since nobody has, I figured I'd let you know you aren't alone in the dark with BC. 

I also applied there and haven't heard anything yet. I do have that new tab on the Agora though, so it may not mean anything...or we are both accepted. :-)

Looks like we might finally get decisions from George Mason soon. My application status has changed to "out for decision." Whatever the check that means.

I did notice that Mason won't mail or e-mail decisions. You have to keep checking your status online. WTF? 

12 hours ago, Birdie said:

Looks like we might finally get decisions from George Mason soon. My application status has changed to "out for decision." Whatever the check that means.

I did notice that Mason won't mail or e-mail decisions. You have to keep checking your status online. WTF? 

I applied to the MA in Poli Sci program and once it changes to "decision made" it'll take a few days to show your decision letter. The Director of Graduate Admissions for SPGIA also sent me an email with my decision letter.

Good luck!

On 3/8/2016 at 0:53 PM, PizzaCat93 said:

Can anyone admitted to UNC tell me what the funding package is like? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it publicly. I am on the waitlist there and am curious if the funding is competitive compared to similar schools. 

The package is $20k/year guaranteed for 5 years + health insurance and full tuition remission, but the student is responsible for just under $2k/year in student fees. Cost of living is also really low in Chapel Hill compared to many other major public universities.