Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Some rejections from Northwestern appeared on the survey page. My status still appears as "An admissions decision has not been rendered." I wonder if the cause of the deal of my application status is because of the software system, or if they are reviewing applications within intervals. 

1 hour ago, Syas said:

Some rejections from Northwestern appeared on the survey page. My status still appears as "An admissions decision has not been rendered." I wonder if the cause of the deal of my application status is because of the software system, or if they are reviewing applications within intervals. 

Mine just came in, without any email to inform me. Rejection is bad, but to feel like you are an afterthought is worse. They should review this system.

7 minutes ago, yasir8959 said:

Who wrote ode to February at results page?

I did. I remembered T.S. Eliot almost immediately upon learning of my rejection, since it is the beginning of this month, might as well make some fun of me. :)

I can also claim one NW reject:( But at least now I heard back from something.

I think the system just sent it at different times.:unsure: 

I have a feeling that this is not going to be the only decision that is going to come out today!

Edited by mmwithgradschool

10 minutes ago, mmwithgradschool said:

I have a feeling that this is not going to be the only decision that is going to come out today!

I hope that is the only decision I receive today, I do not want to handle another one. Unless it is an acceptance, of course.

On 2/1/2016 at 2:28 PM, Bubandis said:

For those of you that have not heard from Colorado-Boulder: I was waitlisted by them last year, and they were very slow is letting me know. I recall that a couple of weeks had passed since they notified the accepted applicants before they ever sent out the waitlist emails.

And, @studugarte, don't worry yet regarding UVA. It is my sense that we have only contacted those who were also nominated for an additional fellowship. In other words, I don't believe all first-round acceptances have gone out yet. Though, I expect that they will go out this week or next at the latest. Sure there will be a wait list, too.

Finally, as a general point, while I realize that looking at previous years' notification dates for programs can somewhat helpful in getting an idea of a general admissions timeframe, please keep in mind that there will be some variation due to shifting responsibilities within departments. For example, at UVA, we have a new admissions director this year who is going about the process is a slightly different way. There are likely to be other programs whose processes have changed somewhat this app season as well. In the meantime, don't let you anxiety get the better of you--you will know where you stand when the programs contact you and, until then, the rest is simply speculation.

@Bubandis Thanks for this. Any insight into UVA's wait list?

1 hour ago, DemonX said:

Yes, me. However, I am pretty sure it is just a matter of time before we get our rejections

+1 with no news on the northwest front. We'll get our rejections soon enough!

53 minutes ago, studugarte said:

Just spotted a UVA wait list in the results. Anyone claiming that? I've got no change in my status but seeing that makes me think all acceptances have been submitted. 

Was mine. E-mail notification with same message appearing on the website. 

My speculation is that if the supply for PhD student positions was higher than the demand, schools would have had much better application systems for informing the decisions. The negligence of schools (such as NW) for informing students might be a result of excessive supply, which provides schools almost no incentive to upgrade their archaic application systems. 

Edited by Syas

1 minute ago, Syas said:

My speculation is that if the demand for PhD student positions was higher than the supply, schools would have had much better application systems for informing the decisions. The negligence of schools (such as NW) for informing students might be a result of excessive supply, which provides schools almost no incentive to upgrade their archaic application systems. 

Also on the no incentive front - it's not that there's an inherent problem to staggered release of results. The issue (for applicants) comes when folks are looking on grad cafe and then speculating / getting worked up about the information they see here. Whereas if we weren't all refreshing every 10 minutes, we'd just go about out lives in blissful ignorance until we got a yes/no from each school, which is presumably how it worked before this site existed and overloaded us all with information that is sometimes extremely stressful while simultaneously being utterly unhelpful. Though, of course, here I am and here we are anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Syas said:

My speculation is that if the supply for PhD student positions was higher than the demand, schools would have had much better application systems for informing the decisions. The negligence of schools (such as NW) for informing students might be a result of excessive supply, which provides schools almost no incentive to upgrade their archaic application systems. 

And the prevalent system is dehumanizing, needless to say. 

Do lower ranked schools have much better application systems? Surely they have more spots relative to applications than the top programs, yet I found little to no correlation between a program's rank and the quality of its app system.