Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

1 minute ago, Determinedandnervous said:

Who else is part of the Berkeley bloodbath?

Right there with you. Rejection, got an email to check the admissions portal.

Yup, me too. Not that that wasn't already expected after last night. Trying to tell myself that it's partly because I'm a foreigner, and that I won't have that problem with other schools. But I could really use some good news. Universe, if you can hear me, you know what to do ;)

Also among the rejected Berkeley applicants. Duke app just says that my materials are submitted, so I'm taking that as a likely rejection given that people seem to have received acceptances already. I also applied for an MA through the CIR at Chicago...will that come out at the same time as regular Chicago decisions?

Edited by flatwhite

10 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

I got into NYU!

Congratulations! Now I hold my breath while waiting... Any change in your application status or did you only receive the email?

1 minute ago, ViniciusMJ said:

Congratulations! Now I hold my breath while waiting... Any change in your application status or did you only receive the email?

No changes though I'm not sure that I would even be able to tell given that NYU's website is so confusing and in like 8 different fonts and 10 different colours

Just now, ultraultra said:

No changes though I'm not sure that I would even be able to tell given that NYU's website is so confusing and in like 8 different fonts and 10 different colours

Yeah, I thought about that... I will search that site upside down nevertheless.

Just now, Straussian Dogmatist said:

Me! Worried about the rejections rolling out. 

Why do you assume that not hearing means it will be a rejection? Many people in this forum have this mentality as well. I think it is very early to jump to a conclusion and not hearing is a good indicator at this point.

1 minute ago, Syas said:

Why do you assume that not hearing means it will be a rejection? Many people in this forum have this mentality as well. I think it is very early to jump to a conclusion and not hearing is a good indicator at this point.

Although I understand that is the correct assumption (to assume nothing), most delayed communications after acceptances have been eventually turned into rejections. It is hard to remain optimistic these days...

4 minutes ago, Syas said:

If you don't get the offer on the day when most people do, you are out. The chance that someone declining the offer right away and the committee getting your name from WL to acceptance list at the same time is minimal. Take Berkeley this year as the example. You can also see this trend re. Duke and Chicago from pervious years. 

32 minutes ago, flatwhite said:

I also applied for an MA through the CIR at Chicago...will that come out at the same time as regular Chicago decisions?

@flatwhite No, I don't think so. In the past, rejected applicants to the Phd program at Chicago get dropped into the application process for the MAPSS or the CIR (depending on the applicant's interest), so I would think those programs make decisions later. 

Edited by worryandhope
shortened quote

1 minute ago, worryandhope said:

@flatwhite No, I don't think so. In the past, rejected applicants to the Phd program at Chicago get dropped into the application process for the MAPSS or the CIR (depending on the applicant's interest), so I would think those programs make decisions later. 

Do you know if the recommendation for MAPSS/CIR is selective?  Do most Ph.D. rejects get the MAPSS/CIR offer? 

9 minutes ago, terefere said:

Congrats! I got on the waitlist :)

Good luck! Did you receive an email putting you on the waitlist also, and nothing changed in the application system?

Just now, s1994 said:

Do you know if the recommendation for MAPSS/CIR is selective?  Do most Ph.D. rejects get the MAPSS/CIR offer? 

That happened to me last year (yes, my second cylce already), and I was admitted to the MAPSS in March. So that will take a while.

All I know is that I was rejected from UChicago's phd program last year (this year, too, it seems) and I was accepted in CIR. They key there, though, is money. I know some applicants get full (very rare) or partial tuition scholarships. Key when the cost of their 1 year MA is like 50k.