Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

39 minutes ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

Genuinely have zero motivation to get any work done this weekend. This is worse than high school senioritis...

I am in the opposite side of it. Can't wait to finally receive all my rejections, so I can work right away in my second attempt.

I don't know if I praised you for getting into Princeton yet, so congratulations! In what field are you?

8 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

I am in the opposite side of it. Can't wait to finally receive all my rejections, so I can work right away in my second attempt.

I don't know if I praised you for getting into Princeton yet, so congratulations! In what field are you?

I'm glad to see you have a positive attitude about this bump in the road! I wish you the best of luck.

2 minutes ago, Determinedandnervous said:

I'm glad to see you have a positive attitude about this bump in the road! I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks! After the frustration comes the realization that you always have room to improve. Better get back to work than cry over spilled milk.

10 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Thank you! Came as a surprise to me to be honest. I was almost certain in November that I was going to take a year to work on strengthening my profile. Even when I did apply, I kept thinking it was pointless. But it worked out...this comes two years after I was rejected everywhere that I applied outside my BA institution for an MA. My mother has certainly continued to tell me "things will work out just have faith in yourself." I'm still overwhelmed by it. I focus on IR (IPE). 

1 minute ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

Thank you! Came as a surprise to me to be honest. I was almost certain in November that I was going to take a year to work on strengthening my profile. Even when I did apply, I kept thinking it was pointless. But it worked out...this comes two years after I was rejected everywhere that I applied outside my BA institution for an MA. My mother has certainly continued to tell me "things will work out just have faith in yourself." I'm still overwhelmed by it. I focus on IR (IPE). 

That's sensational. I wish you an excellent ride in New Jersey. Unless, well, unless you get to be accepted by another one that you might prefer over Princeton. I see you applied to Harvard, like myself.

On 2016년 2월 6일 at 6:58 AM, Senioritis said:

Awesome! He's really great. I'm finishing my undergrad there right now and I've worked really closely with him for the last three years and taken a couple of graduate courses, so if you have any questions about the program from someone outside of POIR but familiar with it I'd be so happy to share! It's really a great place. (I just decided not to do grad and undergrad at the same school) Prof Grose in particular really really cares about his students and will do everything to help you succeed, so huge congratulations to you!! :) 

I saw this post just now! Thank you Senioritis!! Yes, I noticed from his email. He explained in depth about the opportunities that I can have if I go to POIR. Thank you for sharing your insight and personal experience as an insider of USC! 

2 hours ago, VMcJ said:

That's sensational. I wish you an excellent ride in New Jersey. Unless, well, unless you get to be accepted by another one that you might prefer over Princeton. I see you applied to Harvard, like myself.

I did! Really not sure what I'm going to hear back from them, or even my other applications. I know that Columbia is very likely a rejection since it's been radio silence on their end. Georgetown is also a bit on the fence - it looks like they do waves of admits from the results boards in previous years. I'm still wondering what the result will be. I'd be open to additional fly-outs to at least two places I have yet to hear back from. Good luck to you though! As much as you're already preparing for the next cycle, I'd like to think that it's not over until it's truly over. 

1 hour ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

I did! Really not sure what I'm going to hear back from them, or even my other applications. I know that Columbia is very likely a rejection since it's been radio silence on their end. Georgetown is also a bit on the fence - it looks like they do waves of admits from the results boards in previous years. I'm still wondering what the result will be. I'd be open to additional fly-outs to at least two places I have yet to hear back from. Good luck to you though! As much as you're already preparing for the next cycle, I'd like to think that it's not over until it's truly over. 

Thanks a lot. You're right, it's not truly over, but I'd rather receive an unexpected admission than wait two or three weeks to simply confirm what is highly probable at this point.

And you do have a point about Georgetown, which I had applied to also. I fear they might admit me but without funding (they do not offer funding for all their accepted applicants). I don't know if that would do me any good at all.

12 hours ago, VMcJ said:

Thanks a lot. You're right, it's not truly over, but I'd rather receive an unexpected admission than wait two or three weeks to simply confirm what is highly probable at this point.

And you do have a point about Georgetown, which I had applied to also. I fear they might admit me but without funding (they do not offer funding for all their accepted applicants). I don't know if that would do me any good at all.

So, I thought this too - Georgetown is my MA supervisor's alma mater, and he said that when he attended there were only 2 funded IR PhD slots (1 security, 1 IPE). But this was....quite awhile ago. And when I was at GWU people said they had friends at Georgetown who claimed they had moved to a fully funded program as well. So I'm not entirely sure what the state of things is over there. Beautiful campus though. I certainly fell in love with the area, then I died a little when I heard estimates of how much rent was on average.

13 minutes ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

So, I thought this too - Georgetown is my MA supervisor's alma mater, and he said that when he attended there were only 2 funded IR PhD slots (1 security, 1 IPE). But this was....quite awhile ago. And when I was at GWU people said they had friends at Georgetown who claimed they had moved to a fully funded program as well. So I'm not entirely sure what the state of things is over there. Beautiful campus though. I certainly fell in love with the area, then I died a little when I heard estimates of how much rent was on average.

I'd be extremely happy with Georgetown and wouldn't try again next cycle to get into another school. But I need funding before accepting an offer, and I don't know any source available to me.

But they're probably going to reject me, so whatever. :lol:

On 2/12/2016 at 6:49 PM, ultraultra said:

Has anyone else lost the motivation to do their remaining school work?

Oh also, maybe this is common knowledge but I was talking to a Michigan grad student today who said they host a one month "math camp" in August for first-year PhD students to boost their skills before the quant sequence starts. And then I mentioned it to my advisor, who said this is common at US schools. Just thought I would mention it here so that people know to ask their schools about that and potentially plan for it!

Not sure who told you it was a month long thing, but it's two weeks at Michigan. Two weeks is more or less the norm across programs, though there are some that diverge from this norm (Duke's is a special case, mostly because one of the authors of a math for polisci book is there and the authors created a bunch of online materials for their online version of "math camp").

Anyone claiming the MIT admits? I saw several MIT admits on the result page but haven't seen any clarifications yet. It will be really nice if you can, because I don't want to have a false hope anymore haha....Thank you!

2 hours ago, yhorange91 said:

Anyone claiming the MIT admits? I saw several MIT admits on the result page but haven't seen any clarifications yet. It will be really nice if you can, because I don't want to have a false hope anymore haha....Thank you!

Same. They've all been posted at strange times. It will be interesting to see if there are any other acceptances early next week, or if rejections start appearing instead.

12 hours ago, yhorange91 said:

I claim it. I was called by phone (at a really weird 11 pm local time) by an admissions committee member to notify my admission. Yesterday a POI emailed me also.

Edited by geraud

1 hour ago, geraud said:

I claim it. I was called by phone (at a really weird 11 pm local time) by an admissions committee member to notify my admission. Yesterday a POI emailed me also.

Thank you for the clarification! And congratulations:)