Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

6 hours ago, VMcJ said:

I will be 28 when classes begin this year; my age will be more of a problem next cycle. I don't even know how I would afford another cycle, both economically and emotionally. No need to say that my frustration is devastating right now.

@VMcJ I'm a 29-year-old non-American without research experience, with degrees in economics and journalism from Europe and a MA in politics from Asia, who didn't contact any POIs beforehand (and has far from famous recommenders who are far from even knowing the schools I'm applying to, let alone the professors).

A year ago, I was exactly where you are now. So I was 28 at the time, still not doing my PhD, and realised I had just spent thousands of dollars for nothing.

But I was determined to do it, so I tried again. And the second time, I did it better. I still don't have anyone to mentor me, but I found grad students who were willing to help, and I was on this forum, which also helped. I improved my letters of recommendation and, most importantly, my SOP - doing much more background research and tailoring them much more this time. And I was more strategic about selecting my universities. That's highly personal of course, but doing my PhD with a POI with very similar research interests for me outweighs a lot of rank considerations - I could be happy at UCSB as well, I figured.

A year later, I already have 4 admits - including NYU, which outright rejected me last year.

I'm not saying give up this cycle, nor am I telling you you have to do it again. I'm just saying in case you want to try again - it's definitely not too late, and the second time you're likely to fare much better than the first, because of all the experience you've gained this time. It's possibe :) Don't lose hope!

PS: In the interviews and after-admission-calls I've had so far, many professors actually told me that my age (and work experience) worked in my favor, as they appreciate the experience and maturity I'll bring to the program, and expect me to be focused and make quick progress because of it. So no, your age doesn't actually work against you (I was worried about that exact same thing last year).

Edited by IndEnth

56 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

@VMcJ

I'm not saying give up this cycle, nor am I telling you you have to do it again. I'm just saying in case you want to try again - it's definitely not too late, and the second time you're likely to fare much better than the first, because of all the experience you've gained this time. It's possibe :) Don't lose hope!

PS: In the interviews and after-admission-calls I've had so far, many professors actually told me that my age (and work experience) worked in my favor, as they appreciate the experience and maturity I'll bring to the program, and expect me to be focused and make quick progress because of it. So no, your age doesn't actually work against you (I was worried about that exact same thing last year).

Thanks, @IndEnth! Your story is really inspiring for me. I will think carefully about all of this, especially about trying again some schools that already rejected me or probably will.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:30 AM, gradphil said:

On a phone call yesterday (Monday), the Graduate Advisor (Veri Chavarin) explained to me that those who had not heard on Friday last week (Feb. 5th) are probably on wait list or rejected. But as she explained, it will take further a week or two to actually notify applicants their true status. I am also in the same boat and my subfield is IR.

Ah :/ that's quite alright, I shall survive but thank you for letting me know!

No interview from Vandy either :mellow:, so probably out there, It was a reach school anyway.

7 minutes ago, Sbrail2 said:

9:30am and I'm already starting to check my email every 5 minutes

I am practically living in EST right now. And that makes no sense at all, but we cannot stop, am I right? Rationally one hour, one day, even one month until we see an email from them, it makes no difference whatsoever.

I checked my email while typing this message, lol

Edited by VMcJ

10 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

I am practically living in EST right now. And that makes no sense at all, but we cannot stop, am I right? Rationally one hour, one day, even one month until we see an email from them, it makes no difference whatsoever.

I checked my email while typing this message, lol

I've gotten acceptances so far so that's a huge relief but still I mean I wish I could just hear back from Penn and Georgetown already just so I know.

congrats to all Michigan admits! I'm waitlisted and wondering if anybody accepted would be willing to share funding details in a private message? I'm just curious what their stipend looks like, and whether I should worry about the waitlisted given I've been admitted with fairly good funding elsewhere.

1 minute ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

I know this sounds weird, but what letter does your last name start with? Maybe they release results alphabetically. I have yet to hear from Stanford, Georgetown or Columbia.

Same. Have not heard back from any of these as well.

Just now, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

I know this sounds weird, but what letter does your last name start with? Maybe they release results alphabetically. I have yet to hear from Stanford, Georgetown or Columbia.

Mine is "C". Have you visited the website? Or waiting for the email? The latter might not come.

1 minute ago, mstonegm said:

This is too stressful. Maybe I should just be a janitor... or a monk. 

You see, grad school sometimes is not that different from a monastery.

1 minute ago, HardPromises said:

Does anyone here claim that Stanford acceptance with the 3.2 GPA and 152/153/4.0 GRE? I'm just curious. I understand that's just part of an application, but still.

I was wondering the same thing. I don't begrudge anyone their success and I hope they do well, but damn, what am I missing? This process is beginning to look a little bit like a lottery to me.