Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Does anyone know why the programs send rejections and acceptances separately? It seems rather cruel that they send rejection emails one month after acceptances or so. Didn't hear anything from Columbia or Princeton...not too upset since I got into UCLA but Columbia was sort of my dream school...and now waiting for Cornell. So far this hasn't been my week...

Just realized I mentioned proceeding from a qualitative perspective when referring to my thesis, but I used quantitative methods. And I said this in all my SoPs. Considering how many times I read over my statements, I can't believe this happened. I know many people have something they would like to change after submitting an app, but do you guys think this particular case warrants contacting the department? Because it's not obviously a typo, as qualitative is a real word, and since I mentioned that I plan on having quantitative methods as a field of focus, it would possibly help me to clarify that I used quantitative methods in my thesis research. I'm so torn up over this; I can't believe I missed that.

4 minutes ago, HardPromises said:

Just realized I mentioned proceeding from a qualitative perspective when referring to my thesis, but I used quantitative methods. And I said this in all my SoPs. Considering how many times I read over my statements, I can't believe this happened. I know many people have something they would like to change after submitting an app, but do you guys think this particular case warrants contacting the department? Because it's not obviously a typo, as qualitative is a real word, and since I mentioned that I plan on having quantitative methods as a field of focus, it would possibly help me to clarify that I used quantitative methods in my thesis research. I'm so torn up over this; I can't believe I missed that.

I mixed up 'positive' with 'normative' and 'demand' with 'supply' in my SOP ;) I would just hope nobody realizes. 

42 minutes ago, Jak220 said:

I haven't seen any posts so I'm guessing not, but has anyone heard anything from George Mason yet?

Thanks! 

Haven't heard a peep. Another one I'm waiting on.

38 minutes ago, japaniia said:

Does anyone know why the programs send rejections and acceptances separately? It seems rather cruel that they send rejection emails one month after acceptances or so. Didn't hear anything from Columbia or Princeton...not too upset since I got into UCLA but Columbia was sort of my dream school...and now waiting for Cornell. So far this hasn't been my week...

My understanding is that if you don't hear anything from Chicago, Duke, Columbia, or Princeton on the same day when other people do, then that means you are rejected. Even the people on the waitlists are also informed with the people who got the offers. Many people on this forum might disagree with me a lot on this point, but not hoping too much from a "silent" decision is probably the best thing that people can do (so goes for the job market in five years -- silence means rejection, with really few exceptions), because you won't be too disappointed when you receive the rejection in a month, and if there is a miracle that they get you accepted instead of those on the waitlist -- you will be surprised and happy. You have nothing to lose by treating dead silence as a rejection. 

Edited by s1994

To elaborate more, I want to say that schools usually release their results in two different ways 

1) First, and the most common one, is to send out offers (and WL decisions almost simultaneously) at first. These emails tend to be formulaic, simply letting an applicant know that he is accepted. However, funding details are usually not sent until future emails. These schools will accept people from the WL only if 1) there are people turning down the offer, 2) the # of people declining the offers has been so high that they have to take people from WL to meet the incoming class size. In this sense, to get off from the WL is already hard, not to mention if the school will "save" people from the rejection pile. However, it is still possible for you to be "re-admitted" even though you were in the rejection pile in the first place if (1) none of the people on the WL end up with a good fit in the department's eyes, and (2) the department desperately needs people to meet the incoming class size for a variety of reasons. That's why they do not send out the rejections right away with all the offers and WL decisions. Thus, people can definitely treat silence as hope, but we have to be admonished that the chance of acceptance is really, really low. Schools that fit this model are Duke, Chicago... (Top 20 prestigious departments).

Some schools sent out the rejections only a few days later than the acceptances and WL decisions, because they know that even people turn down the offers, the department will still do fine with the incoming class size. Top-10s like Berkeley and Princeton fit this sub-model. 

2) Second way is to send out formulaic rejections at first, so that they can spend time to individualize the offers and include detailed funding info in the letter. UCSD, Michigan (at least this year) fit this model. 

Either way, we tend not to see a case when a school sends out a lot of offers on the same day, waits for a month, and sends out another batch of offers. None of the top departments has done notifications in this way, and nor will they. Something that people have done in the past might not necessarily lead to what they will do this year. But even though they change the chair, the expectations of how admissions process is done are still flowing around in the department -- culture and process are not changed that easily. Observing a pattern and using this pattern strategically, although might let you feel sad at first when you think "oh I got rejected by Princeton because I hear nothing from them", is actually doing you good by helping you treat "failure" (in a positive way) in a calm manner. This is the rule of the game that is called grad school admissions; this will also be the rule of the game when we are on the job market.

That's what I want to say. And to certain fellows -- feel free to downvote me as always. But this is what I truly think, and my thoughts will probably not be changed easily with more downvotes.  To the people who agree with me -- Thank you.  From the pattern you have observed re: past admissions, you can understand your situation more keenly, and if, I'm saying if, the current cycle does not work for you, you will be at a much better place when you apply next year. I am lucky as I got into a good department in my first cycle, but the waiting period is really difficult. Hope that everyone can succeed this year.

Edited by s1994

32 minutes ago, s1994 said:

To elaborate more, I want to say that schools usually release their results in two different ways 

1) First, and the most common one, is to send out offers (and WL decisions almost simultaneously) at first. These emails tend to be formulaic, simply letting an applicant know that he is accepted. However, funding details are usually not sent until future emails. These schools will accept people from the WL only if 1) there are people turning down the offer, 2) the # of people declining the offers has been so high that they have to take people from WL to meet the incoming class size. In this sense, to get off from the WL is already hard, not to mention if the school will "save" people from the rejection pile. However, it is still possible for you to be "re-admitted" even though you were in the rejection pile in the first place if (1) none of the people on the WL end up with a good fit in the department's eyes, and (2) the department desperately needs people to meet the incoming class size for a variety of reasons. That's why they do not send out the rejections right away with all the offers and WL decisions. Thus, people can definitely treat silence as hope, but we have to be admonished that the chance of acceptance is really, really low. Schools that fit this model are Duke, Chicago... (Top 20 prestigious departments).

Some schools sent out the rejections only a few days later than the acceptances and WL decisions, because they know that even people turn down the offers, the department will still do fine with the incoming class size. Top-10s like Berkeley and Princeton fit this sub-model. 

2) Second way is to send out formulaic rejections at first, so that they can spend time to individualize the offers and include detailed funding info in the letter. UCSD, Michigan (at least this year) fit this model. 

Either way, we tend not to see a case when a school sends out a lot of offers on the same day, waits for a month, and sends out another bathes of offers. None of the top departments has done notifications in this way, and nor will they. Something that people have done in the past might not necessarily lead to what they will do this year. But even though they change the chair, the expectations of how admissions process is done are still flowing around in the department -- culture and process are not changed that easily. Observing a pattern and using this pattern strategically, although might let you feel sad at first when you think "oh I got rejected by Princeton because I hear nothing from them", is actually doing you good by helping you treat "failure" (in a positive way) in a calm manner. This is the rule of the game that is called grad school admissions; this will also be the rule of the game when we are on the job market.

That's what I want to say. And to certain fellows -- feel free to downvote me as always. But this is what I truly think, and my thoughts will probably not changed easily with more downvotes.  To the people who agree with me -- Thank you.  From the pattern you have observed re: past admissions, you can understand your situation more keenly, and if, I'm saying if, the current cycle does not work for you, you will be at a much better place when you apply next year. I am lucky as I got into a good department in my first cycle, but the waiting period is really difficult. Hope everyone succeed this year.

This is the most realistic comment I've read in a while and thanks for being so down to earth. To be honest, I didn't have the best test scores (I'm surprised I even got into a top 10 program), and I think you nailed it with " treating failure in a calm manner because this is just the beginning of the game. Throughout the PhD program, we will face rejection countless of times for grants and the like despite our sleepless nights or hard work. In the end, I think I learned that I need to do things for "myself" and whatever the outcome is...it is for the best. It is a lesson learned, even if it cost me an ivy league offer. I am still slightly sad about Columbia and Princeton but I'm sure I'll be fine. The weird thing is that there appears to be some people clearly rejected from Princeton but some of us haven't gotten even that...which makes me think "oh, maybe they will give me a chance!" either way, I'm moving on. I suppose I really just wanted a change of scenery (been in so cal all my life) but UCLA's program is top notch and I should be extremely grateful since many people would kill to be in the position I am. These past few months have been insane, and the worst part already happened. Anyways, sleep well everyone, let's hope that the rest of you get your dream school's admission offer (if you haven't already) :) !

11 minutes ago, japaniia said:

This is the most realistic comment I've read in a while and thanks for being so down to earth. To be honest, I didn't have the best test scores (I'm surprised I even got into a top 10 program), and I think you nailed it with " treating failure in a calm manner because this is just the beginning of the game. Throughout the PhD program, we will face rejection countless of times for grants and the like despite our sleepless nights or hard work. In the end, I think I learned that I need to do things for "myself" and whatever the outcome is...it is for the best. It is a lesson learned, even if it cost me an ivy league offer. I am still slightly sad about Columbia and Princeton but I'm sure I'll be fine. The weird thing is that there appears to be some people clearly rejected from Princeton but some of us haven't gotten even that...which makes me think "oh, maybe they will give me a chance!" either way, I'm moving on. I suppose I really just wanted a change of scenery (been in so cal all my life) but UCLA's program is top notch and I should be extremely grateful since many people would kill to be in the position I am. These past few months have been insane, and the worst part already happened. Anyways, sleep well everyone, let's hope that the rest of you get your dream school's admission offer (if you haven't already) :) !

I think the people who posted about P-town rejects are either trolling or because they think they are rejected because they did not hear anything.

6 minutes ago, wpg205 said:

Is the Stanford post real?

I hope not. Btw, who sends out offers at 8pm ...? 

I thought this through. I made my best. I made only two mistakes: didn't talk to POIs and practically only applied to ultracompetitive schools. Other problems are impossible to correct (not-PoliSci undergrad, basically).

I will be 28 when classes begin this year; my age will be more of a problem next cycle. I don't even know how I would afford another cycle, both economically and emotionally. No need to say that my frustration is devastating right now.

Well, my question is: should I talk to my remaining POIs while I might still have some shred of chance or that would only hurt those hypothetical chances?

Edited by VMcJ

Just now, VMcJ said:

I thought this through. I made my best. I made only two mistakes: didn't talk to POIs and practically only applied to ultracompetitive schools. Other problems are impossible to correct (not-PoliSci undergrad, basically).

I will be 28 when classes begin this year; my age will be more of a problem next cycle. I don't even know how I would afford another cycle, both economically and emotionally. No need to say that my frustration is devastating right now.

Well, my question is: should I talk to my remaining POIs while I might still have some shred of chances or that would only hurt those hypothetical chances?

As awful as it is and how much one wishes to have agency over the remaining outcomes, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you talk to POI's while they are making the decisions. It'll just seem like opportunism and may actually cost you in the end. 

With regards to the Stanford acceptance, it might not be a troll (or it might be)

1) On "that" website (I'm not going to name it, but if you know, you know it), someone is asking to compare Princeton and Stanford. So the person might actually get the unofficial offer from his POI

2) It can also just be a grad student trolling, which is not uncommon on "that" website

Edited by s1994

Just now, Determinedandnervous said:

As awful as it is and how much one wishes to have agency over the remaining outcomes, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you talk to POI's while they are making the decisions. It'll just seem like opportunism and may actually cost you in the end. 

I know, I know. Grasping at straws. Sorry for making you state the obvious.

But in the future, if I try again, I should contact them beforehand, right? I didn't want to appear that I was trying to impose myself.

Agreed with @Determinedandnervous that it will be a bit weird to write POIs at this point. For what its worth, I don't think that cold-emailing POIs has much effect in general. If you're writing to ask about the program before deciding to apply, that's one thing. But its highly unlikely that a professor will be willing to go to bat for you with the ad comm after just a few e-mails. A lot of the faculty I've talked to just ignore these e-mails, including ones who I know (firsthand) to be very good mentors to their students. I think its a good idea to e-mail POIs if you already have a relationship with them from earlier, or if your recommenders know them and can e-introduce you. But otherwise it just seems to have a neutral-to-negative effect (from what my advisors have said).

Just now, VMcJ said:

I know, I know. Grasping at straws. Sorry for making you state the obvious.

But in the future, if I try again, I should contact them beforehand, right? I didn't want to appear that I was trying to impose myself.

I contacted a very limited amount of my POI's beforehand, and I have had positive results from it. However, I've also gotten into programs and have been rejected from programs where I said nothing to anyone there. A lot of it likely depends on timing. If you contact them over the summer towards when the fall semester starts, you're likely to have better results when contacting them than when it gets close to winter break. Overall though, the effect, I agree with @ultraultra, is likely marginal at best. However, if you feel it may help you, go for it. I would suggest simply briefly introducing yourself, saying you're interested in applying, you feel you're a good fit because of one short reason, and asking them if they're taking advisees at that time. It gets them to know you a little but without making any presumptions or requests on your POI.

The best thing to do in between now and next cycle is to take a bit of time, take a deep breath, regroup, think about whether you want to apply again, and go from there. Retake the GRE if you're not satisfied with your scores (I don't know your scores, so if they're really good no need to retake it) and strengthen every possible weakness in your file. Send as many positive signals as you can in the low-signal high-noise environment that is graduate admissions. That will likely have much more of an effect, and that is much more in your control than how a POI perceives interactions with you.

9 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

Agreed with @Determinedandnervous that it will be a bit weird to write POIs at this point. For what its worth, I don't think that cold-emailing POIs has much effect in general. If you're writing to ask about the program before deciding to apply, that's one thing. But its highly unlikely that a professor will be willing to go to bat for you with the ad comm after just a few e-mails. A lot of the faculty I've talked to just ignore these e-mails, including ones who I know (firsthand) to be very good mentors to their students. I think its a good idea to e-mail POIs if you already have a relationship with them from earlier, or if your recommenders know them and can e-introduce you. But otherwise it just seems to have a neutral-to-negative effect (from what my advisors have said).

Well, in the case of introduction by the recommender, I could have made something, but probably nothing very much decisive. My point is that it appeared to me that several accepted in this forum had this kind of communication with their POIs.

If this was not detrimental to me, then Occam's razor. I wasn't lucky and didn't help myself by not applying to "safe schools".

Edited by VMcJ

5 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Well, in the case of introduction by the recommender, I could have made something, but probably nothing very much decisive. My point is that it appeared to me that several accepted in this forum had this kind of communication with their POIs.

If this was not detrimental to me, then Occam's razor. I wasn't lucky and didn't help myself by not applying to "safe schools".

If you think that you have no luck this season, believe that you really want to go with a Poli Sci Ph.D. path, and are confident that you can get admitted by a good program as an international student (otherwise, you will face a much harder time when you are on the market because of H1B and stuff like that), then I would say instead of emailing POIs and introducing yourself at this juncture, actually emailing them to ask about opportunities of RA positions. Most likely they won't pay you to do the work because it costs their money and the process of paying a foreigner can be painful. So it would be great if your undergrad institute can pay you for your work, or if you could get a fellowship to pay you. Ask around about RA opportunities and see how it goes from there. If you are great, and the professor you are working with is at a top-30 department, s/he should have the network to introduce you to many departments when you apply next year. 

9 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

My point is that it appeared to me that several accepted in this forum had this kind of communication with their POIs.

I have gotten into 5 schools. At three of them I didn't talk to POIs at all. At one of them, I had already known my POI for about a year. At the last one, my recommender knew my POI and e-introduced us. I'm not sure if these last two had an effect, but I do know that my recommender talked to their Berkeley colleague about me, who then talked the committee about me and I still didn't get in there. My sense is that POIs can help make sure your file gets a second look, but these advance convos aren't necessary or foolproof, and the other indicators in your file matter the most. Again, I agree with @Determinedandnervous. At this point, maybe the best thing to do is take a deep breath, consider whether you even want to go another cycle, and then devise a plan to strengthen all the parts of your file over the next year. You could maybe even write to some of the schools you didn't get into, to ask if someone would be willing to tell you why they decided as they did.

6 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Well, in the case of introduction by the recommender, I could have made something, but probably not very much decisive. My point is that it appeared to me that several accepted in this forum had this kind of communication with their POIs.

It's not over until it's over, but I know what it's like to be in your position. I didn't get in anywhere right out of my BA - I applied to a number of schools and was told that I was ambitious but had a shot by my mentors. When I was rejected by everywhere that I applied, I blamed myself for not being realistic about my ability to get into to places. My first set of GRE scores were also a mess ( > 40th percentile Q - my focus was shot after a power outage had my computer terminal off for 30 minutes). I would urge you not to blame yourself. This process really is, in so many ways, an unreliable messy thing - a process so far from perfect, we're all on this forum for a reason.

When it comes to early communication with POIs - I did not contact anyone. I've only been emailed by POIs after being admitted. If any contact was made, it was my rec letter writers, and I never asked them to reach out, though I know one of them did to a number of places they have ties to. In this case, networking can help you but only so much. As I mentioned earlier, it really doesn't hurt to ask if any of your rec letter writers have heard things. My MA supervisor knew I was admitted to Princeton two weeks before I did (found that this morning.)

I agree with the people who have said it's not a good idea to reach out to people prior to receiving an admission decision. If you receive rejections, it also doesn't hurt to contact the program's DGS to ask for feedback on your application for the next cycle. I really hope you hear back good news.

8 minutes ago, s1994 said:

If you think that you have no luck this season, believe that you really want to go with a Poli Sci Ph.D. path, and are confident that you can get admitted by a good program as an international student (otherwise, you will face a much harder time when you are on the market because of H1B and stuff like that), then I would say instead of emailing POIs and introducing yourself at this juncture, actually emailing them to ask about opportunities of RA positions. Most likely they won't pay you to do the work because it costs their money and the process of paying a foreigner can be painful. So it would be great if your undergrad institute can pay you for your work, or if you could get a fellowship to pay you. Ask around about RA opportunities and see how it goes from there. If you are great, and the professor you are working with is at a top-30 department, s/he should have the network to introduce you to many departments when you apply next year. 

I don't know if I understand. The suggestion is to ask about RA in order to reach out or to actually pursue it? If it's the latter, this would not be possible for me. I am not a US resident. Sorry if I misunderstood.

9 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

I have gotten into 5 schools. At three of them I didn't talk to POIs at all. At one of them, I had already known my POI for about a year. At the last one, my recommender knew my POI and e-introduced us. I'm not sure if these last two had an effect, but I do know that my recommender talked to their Berkeley colleague about me, who then talked the committee about me and I still didn't get in there. My sense is that POIs can help make sure your file gets a second look, but these advance convos aren't necessary or foolproof, and the other indicators in your file matter the most. Again, I agree with @Determinedandnervous. At this point, maybe the best thing to do is take a deep breath, consider whether you even want to go another cycle, and then devise a plan to strengthen all the parts of your file over the next year. You could maybe even write to some of the schools you didn't get into, to ask if someone would be willing to tell you why they decided as they did.

6 minutes ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

It's not over until it's over, but I know what it's like to be in your position. I didn't get in anywhere right out of my BA - I applied to a number of schools and was told that I was ambitious but had a shot by my mentors. When I was rejected by everywhere that I applied, I blamed myself for not being realistic about my ability to get into to places. My first set of GRE scores were also a mess ( > 40th percentile Q - my focus was shot after a power outage had my computer terminal off for 30 minutes). I would urge you not to blame yourself. This process really is, in so many ways, an unreliable messy thing - a process so far from perfect, we're all on this forum for a reason.

When it comes to early communication with POIs - I did not contact anyone. I've only been emailed by POIs after being admitted. If any contact was made, it was my rec letter writers, and I never asked them to reach out, though I know one of them did to a number of places they have ties to. In this case, networking can help you but only so much. As I mentioned earlier, it really doesn't hurt to ask if any of your rec letter writers have heard things. My MA supervisor knew I was admitted to Princeton two weeks before I did (found that this morning.)

I agree with the people who have said it's not a good idea to reach out to people prior to receiving an admission decision. If you receive rejections, it also doesn't hurt to contact the program's DGS to ask for feedback on your application for the next cycle. I really hope you hear back good news.

And to think I was afraid of the GRE!... It was the best part now in hindsight. The only thing I know for sure was not the issue (if there was indeed one issue other than fierce competition).

You are both right, I need to wait first and then try to understand how it could have been better. Maybe, just maybe, I still have a chance for celebration. If not, life goes on.

6 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

I don't know if I understand. The suggestion is to ask about RA in order to reach out or to actually pursue it? If it's the latter, this would not be possible for me. I am not a US resident. Sorry if I misunderstood.

To ask about RA work so that you can do it at your home country and communicate with him/her via Skype/email. Actually, it might be hard to do so as most professors would probably say no because they worry about your undergrad training if you do not get your degree in the US. Have you thought about getting a Master degree either in US or Canada? It might boost your chance a lot. Have you applied to Chicago? If you GRE and GPA are good -- then they will probably offer you a Master offer with reduced tuition. Not the best deal, but it can work out if you are prepared and seize the opportunity. 

Did you apply to Columbia? Though it might be sort of late -- ask to see if you can add a second option program. I chose QMSS when I applied to Columbia, and the application is free.  You might also be able to explore some area study master degrees.

Edited by s1994

Just now, s1994 said:

To ask about RA work so that you can do it at your home country and communicate with him/her via Skype/email. Actually, it might be hard to do so because most professors would probably say no because they worry about your undergrad training if you do not get your degree in the US. Have you thought about getting a Master degree either in US or Canada? It might boost your chance a lot. Have you applied to Chicago? If you GRE and GPA are good -- then they will probably offer you a Master offer with reduced tuition. Not the best deal, but it can work out if you are prepared and seize the opportunity. 

Did you apply to Columbia? Though it might be sort of late -- ask to see if you can add a second option program. I chose QMSS when I applied to Columbia, and the application is free.  You might also be able to explore some area study master degrees.

Ah, now I understand. Well, there are not many RAs for Political Theory. And if I did it in another field, I don't know if my chances would actually increase for theoretical work (unless it's quantitative, of course, but I am more of a political thought and philosophy type).

About doing a Master, it would be a good idea, but I already have a MA (again, not PoliSci, although it is closer to the area than not) and I have a wife. Only complete funding can provide the means to live overseas when studying, since I am pretty far from being wealthy, to say the least.

Anyway, thanks a lot. I will consider your advice thoroughly if I am indeed rejected by all schools.