Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Claiming a Princeton admit. I was that first post; sorry for causing any confusion! Received mine at around 3:30pm EST, standard email from graduate studies director (not POI) stating that official acceptance letters will be sent out in the next couple of days. Congrats to other admits, and best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Edited by abed

And, to further justify my previous post, abed says, "official acceptance letters will be sent out in the next couple of days". Please don't get yourselves worked up, people. Our sanities will have a hard enough time in grad school...

7 minutes ago, abed said:

Claiming a Princeton admit. I was that first post; sorry for causing any confusion! Received mine at around 3:30pm EST, standard email from graduate studies director (not POI) stating that official acceptance letters will be sent out in the next couple of days. Congrats to other admits, and best of luck to everyone still waiting!

And, congratulations, abed!!

Edited by PizzaCat93

(1) The email is formulaic with no specific info on funding etc; I don't see the logic of taking hours to send out these general emails 

(2) Admitted students got the email at the same time

(3) In the past two years, almost all offers are out on the same day

(4) Just like you, I hope that Princeton is still sending out offers; I do not see a point that is worth arguing 

Edited by s1994

1 hour ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Please don't get yourselves worked up, people. Our sanities will have a hard enough time in grad school...

How much I want that to be true... this cycle, preferably. :lol:

Have any of the UCSD admits received an email from a professor with similar research interests outside of the normal admission emails? Just wondering if this is a standard thing the department does. (Because if so, it's a very nice touch haha :))

7 minutes ago, Senioritis said:

Have any of the UCSD admits received an email from a professor with similar research interests outside of the normal admission emails? Just wondering if this is a standard thing the department does. (Because if so, it's a very nice touch haha :))

I got one today!

5 hours ago, Senioritis said:

I was rejected from UCSD, but I received several very welcoming emails like this from professors at another program. It makes you feel like they are excited about the prospect of you joining them! In my case, the program is the lower ranked of two that I'm deciding between. I haven't experienced that at the higher ranked program, which is one of the reasons I'm still considering both of them. I want to be in a program with professors who are enthusiastic about me working with them.

8 minutes ago, HardPromises said:

I was rejected from UCSD, but I received several very welcoming emails like this from professors at another program. It makes you feel like they are excited about the prospect of you joining them! In my case, the program is the lower ranked of two that I'm deciding between. I haven't experienced that at the higher ranked program, which is one of the reasons I'm still considering both of them. I want to be in a program with professors who are enthusiastic about me working with them.

Yup. Having the same experience with UCSB - the professor who is the best fit for me emailed me, and has already skyped with me twice, to clarify any questions I might have, talk about research interests, and to discuss strategy. Makes you feel really special and excited. The only reason why I'll visit both schools in March.

16 minutes ago, Determinedandnervous said:

Whoever gave the advice to contact grad students at schools you've been admitted to, thank you! They've all been really kind and helpful.

Could I ask how you went about doing this? As I saw your post I realized how good of an idea it would be, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to just cold-email grad students who have similar interests to mine, or if there's a more specific protocol for reaching out? Thank you!

I went on the websites of the programs I got admitted to, and saw which grad students had CV's, and looked at those CV's and saw who had similar interests. I then just cold-emailed them introducing myself as someone who got admitted to the program and was looking to know more about the experience. I was apprehensive at first about cold-emailing them, since that would be their first impression of me and I did not want to make a bad one, but I have gotten nothing but great responses.

14 hours ago, mwcain said:

Hi friends, I wanted to get some opinions on how best to decide which college to go to. I have been admitted to five universities so far, some are better than others. So with that in mind, what are your thoughts? 

It depends on whats colleges did you get admitted to, career aspirations, college specialty and star faculty of your field of choice. If colleges are not in top 30, compare placement record, stipend and financial assistance, location and cost of living. 

Someone posted that over 200 applied for Columbia with a comparative politics interest. I have a hard time believing that. Seems to me that most all the programs I've applied to claim to have received about 200 applications TOTAL. Am I wrong on this? Plus, only accepting 6 of the comparative folk seems unlikely as well, since they have to take into account accepted students declining for other offers.