Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

3 minutes ago, HardPromises said:

Someone posted that over 200 applied for Columbia with a comparative politics interest. I have a hard time believing that. Seems to me that most all the programs I've applied to claim to have received about 200 applications TOTAL. Am I wrong on this? Plus, only accepting 6 of the comparative folk seems unlikely as well, since they have to take into account accepted students declining for other offers.

I think it is possible.

2 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

I think it is possible.

Yes, I suppose so. Only admitting 6 from that subfield is just really brutal. I applied there with a comparative focus and so reacted quickly and negatively to that unwelcome news haha.

9 minutes ago, HardPromises said:

Someone posted that over 200 applied for Columbia with a comparative politics interest. I have a hard time believing that. Seems to me that most all the programs I've applied to claim to have received about 200 applications TOTAL. Am I wrong on this? Plus, only accepting 6 of the comparative folk seems unlikely as well, since they have to take into account accepted students declining for other offers.

I posted it and I don't think my POI would give me misinformation.

Just now, HardPromises said:

Yes, I suppose so. Only admitting 6 from that subfield is just really brutal. I applied there with a comparative focus and so reacted quickly and negatively to that unwelcome news haha.

I applied to Political Theory. Still hoping, but...

I guess the 6 number isn't what bothers me, as that's probably not far off from the other programs I've applied to. But 200 applicants in one subfield was unexpected for me. My UNC letter claims they received around that much total.

13 minutes ago, HardPromises said:

Yes, I definitely think 200 total is what OP meant.

OR not. Just saw Syas' post after writing this. :P 

Edited by needavacation

Nope. OP said:

"More than 200 people have applied for the comparative politics program, and only six have been accepted."

If 100 people applied to the other fields, and 6 were to be offered admission to each of them, that would make approximately 600 applicants and 30 offers of admission. Sounds consistent with previous years.

11 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

And, to end all hopes for me, an admission from Columbia's Political Theory appears in the results page.

Sorry you've been having such a tough cycle so far. Maybe it has something to do with fit - did you only apply to departments with lots of people working on your research interests?

I've also heard schools are taking far less theory PhDs, because there are very few theory jobs so it's hard to place students. That might be part of it. Though of course, I don't know much about your profile.

2 hours ago, Propda said:

Late arrival. Waitlisted at Princeton (top pick). Any P-town admits want to share their concentrations for all the poor souls here in purgatory?

I'm an IR concentration (IPE more specifically).

I haven't heard anything from Columbia so my guess is that I'm rejected there, as well as Georgetown.

5 minutes ago, whatwasithinking said:

I see a late DUKE hope! Is there any hope for us lot yet! Political Economy concentration here...how I wish my dreams come true! haha

He just didn't post it when he got the offer. The email was sent out on the day when other people received it. 

Edited by s1994

11 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

Sorry you've been having such a tough cycle so far. Maybe it has something to do with fit - did you only apply to departments with lots of people working on your research interests?

I've also heard schools are taking far less theory PhDs, because there are very few theory jobs so it's hard to place students. That might be part of it. Though of course, I don't know much about your profile.

My profile and my academic purpose are highly theoretical (liberalism in Latin America). In fact, I could be applying to Latin American Studies instead of PoliSci with minor changes in my applications. But I chose departments that have strong Theory subfields and Latin American interested scholars, precisely for this reason. Placement is not an immediate major concern for me, as I am foreign, although I understand it may be so for departments.

Maybe I will need to adapt for the next cycle, if I end up trying again. One problem I might have brought upon myself was to avoid to communicate directly with POIs, hoping it would not be necessary and even might be undesirable. Another one is that my undergrad formation is not PoliSci.

Edited by VMcJ

13 minutes ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

I haven't heard anything from Columbia so my guess is that I'm rejected there, as well as Georgetown.

Nice, and congrats! great program for political economy

27 minutes ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

Neither have I heard so far and my concentration is IR as well. It's possible they have not notified the IR folks yet. But I tend to agree not hearing might equal to rejection. Nothing can be said with certitude unless an email reaches or status changes on the application page. Congrats to all admitted lately at Columbia, Princeton and elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, gradphil said:

Neither have I heard so far and my concentration is IR as well. It's possible they have not notified the IR folks yet. But I tend to agree not hearing might equal to rejection. Nothing can be said with certitude unless an email reaches or status changes on the application page. Congrats to all admitted lately at Columbia, Princeton and elsewhere.

Very true. It's tough not to read too much into these things.