Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

15 minutes ago, japaniia said:

People who got admissions to UCI...have you checked your financial aid package (its listed online). I got 6 years of the social sciences teaching award...just wondering if anybody got non-teaching fellowships? It seems generous but it appears that this teaching commitment is for every single quarter...which seems exhausting? I thought first years didn't have to teach in most schools... :/ Anybody else get a diff. financial support package? 

Where do you go online to check it? 

23 minutes ago, japaniia said:

People who got admissions to UCI...have you checked your financial aid package (its listed online). I got 6 years of the social sciences teaching award...just wondering if anybody got non-teaching fellowships? It seems generous but it appears that this teaching commitment is for every single quarter...which seems exhausting? I thought first years didn't have to teach in most schools... :/ Anybody else get a diff. financial support package? 

Most public schools require teaching/RA in the first year.  Some give you the first quarter to adjust before throwing you into these duties.  You also should see about applying for other fellowships and if they offer dissertation year fellowships in case you think that teaching will wear you out.

Edited by Eobard Thawne

3 minutes ago, Eobard Thawne said:

Most public schools require teaching/RA in the first year.  Some give you the first quarter to adjust before throwing you into these duties.  You also should see about applying for other fellowships and if they offer dissertation year fellowships in case you think that teaching will wear you out.

Yes,  I applied to a couple of fellowships so I am hoping I get at least one of them to supplement this award.

16 minutes ago, SeniorUnderGrad said:

Seeing all the University of Southern California acceptances is making me nervous :| Some more came out today, but I have a sour feeling.

Is comparative your subfield? 

9 minutes ago, SeniorUnderGrad said:

No, IR

Okay I wouldn't worry too much. I spoke with the DGS last week and they had a lot fewer Americanist spots than IR and I'm pretty sure he's the one who made all the phone calls on Friday to people in that subfield (since that's his area) so I wouldn't stress too much yet. Because of the way IR and Poli sci are lumped together for graduate but not undergrads I get the impression that the department would likely have poli sci and IR faculty notify their subfields respectively instead of all at once. 

Edited by Senioritis

3 minutes ago, Senioritis said:

Okay I wouldn't worry too much. I spoke with the DGS last week and they had a lot fewer Americanist spots than IR and I'm pretty sure he's the one who made all the phone calls on Friday to people in that subfield (since that's his area) so I wouldn't stress too much yet. Because of the way IR and Poli sci are lumped together for graduate but not undergrads I get the impression that the department would likely have poli sci and IR faculty notify their subfields a respectively instead of all at once. 

Oh wow that makes me feel a lot better thank you! Did you apply there for IR as well? It's my only California school (and a reach school at that) so I'm a little more clueless of the area. I'm a New Englander lol

1 minute ago, SeniorUnderGrad said:

Oh wow that makes me feel a lot better thank you! Did you apply there for IR as well? It's my only California school (and a reach school at that) so I'm a little more clueless of the area. I'm a New Englander lol

Good! :) 

Actually, no! I'm an Americanist but I'm in my last semester of undergrad there now and I've taken a few grad classes/researched with the DGS for years so I know the department extremely well. (When I started getting into top choice schools, we had a discussion and I sort of withdrew my application since I really wanted to move on to somewhere else to expand my ~intellectual horizons~ if you will) If you have any questions about USC feel free to message me though! It's a great program.

16 minutes ago, Senioritis said:

Good! :) 

Actually, no! I'm an Americanist but I'm in my last semester of undergrad there now and I've taken a few grad classes/researched with the DGS for years so I know the department extremely well. (When I started getting into top choice schools, we had a discussion and I sort of withdrew my application since I really wanted to move on to somewhere else to expand my ~intellectual horizons~ if you will) If you have any questions about USC feel free to message me though! It's a great program.

What did your discussion consist of? I'm in the same boat but have yet to talk with the department about my other options. 

Edited by Eobard Thawne

16 minutes ago, Eobard Thawne said:

What did your discussion consist of? I'm in the same boat but have yet to talk with the department about my other options. 

Because I've worked so closely with the DGS he was my first email when I got the Cal acceptance so he asked me to come talk to him. He mostly wanted to know how important it was to me to stay in LA now given that option (I'm a couple of months from married, so my husband's job availability has been an important component of where I go), and I just told him that it was very, very unlikely I would be staying in the department. (Even though I really love it and anyone who gets in there should definitely go!! :))

11 hours ago, ultraultra said:

attn: whoever wrote this, let's be best friends? I just barely stopped myself from bursting into laughter in seminar

San Diego State University/UCSD Department Of Political Science, PhD (F16) Accepted via E-mail on 8 Feb 2016  A 8 Feb 2016
  • Offered $121,343/year along with BMW lease for work and a Range Rover lease for personal use. Housing is condo on the beach to be provided by departmental funding. Three French trained butlers to be at my service. Regular foot runs from SH. Probably won't take it though. I'll just try to leverage it at a different school for some more cash. OSU offered me all of New Jersey to attend there, so yeah.

Haha I burst out laughing reading this one! This must be a political science program running in the white house!

4 hours ago, japaniia said:

You go to : http://gats.ss.uci.edu/tracker

Mine still says under review, even though I got the call last week.

But to be honest, so far they're the worst! During the notification call, I asked about a skype call with my POI, and was told that "he is not a skype person, I don't think that will work out" - seriously, I won't be able to talk to the guy?! So I asked about talking to two other faculty, and they said they'll contact them and get back to me. That was a week ago. I still have no details about funding, visitation weekend, or anything, basically. Really does not live up to what other unis provide. I'm having a bad gut feeling about this already. (Besides the fact that it's not the greatest of fits for me anyways.)

6 hours ago, SeniorUnderGrad said:

Seeing all the University of Southern California acceptances is making me nervous :| Some more came out today, but I have a sour feeling.

6 hours ago, Senioritis said:

Okay I wouldn't worry too much. I spoke with the DGS last week and they had a lot fewer Americanist spots than IR and I'm pretty sure he's the one who made all the phone calls on Friday to people in that subfield (since that's his area) so I wouldn't stress too much yet. Because of the way IR and Poli sci are lumped together for graduate but not undergrads I get the impression that the department would likely have poli sci and IR faculty notify their subfields respectively instead of all at once. 

On a phone call yesterday (Monday), the Graduate Advisor (Veri Chavarin) explained to me that those who had not heard on Friday last week (Feb. 5th) are probably on wait list or rejected. But as she explained, it will take further a week or two to actually notify applicants their true status. I am also in the same boat and my subfield is IR.

Edited by gradphil

42 minutes ago, Straussian Dogmatist said:

Another Georgetown admit on the results page ?

Yeah I'm still waiting to hear from them, too. Stressing the hell out over it haha

5 hours ago, IndEnth said:

Mine still says under review, even though I got the call last week.

But to be honest, so far they're the worst! During the notification call, I asked about a skype call with my POI, and was told that "he is not a skype person, I don't think that will work out" - seriously, I won't be able to talk to the guy?! So I asked about talking to two other faculty, and they said they'll contact them and get back to me. That was a week ago. I still have no details about funding, visitation weekend, or anything, basically. Really does not live up to what other unis provide. I'm having a bad gut feeling about this already. (Besides the fact that it's not the greatest of fits for me anyways.)

Who's your poi?

2 hours ago, Straussian Dogmatist said:

Another Georgetown admit on the results page ?

Guessing that means I'm probably in the reject pile. I knew it was a reach but.....ugh.

Just now, Birdie said:

Guessing that means I'm probably in the reject pile. I knew it was a reach but.....ugh.

It doesn't appear as if there's been much movement with Georgetown aside from a few notifications, so wouldn't get your hopes down just yet!