Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

33 minutes ago, HardPromises said:

This cracked me up

Michigan State University Department Of Political Science (Theory), PhD (F16) Rejected via E-mail on 11 Feb 2016  A 11 Feb 2016

Lol that was me. Actually not ok. Very sad/scary implications for my other applications. Thucydides and I are afraid. 

1) It's weird that we still have no news from WUSTL this year. But I would say this or next week will be the time

2) Cornell and Yale will probably release their decisions either next or the following week

3) Then Harvard in March ... 

Good luck to everyone! 

1 hour ago, finalsenator said:

Congrats to whoever got that UCR acceptance! Was it a personal email or just formulaic? 

Also waiting on UCR, they contacted me three weeks ago for some documents, but haven't heard since. Was  bit surprised to see the acceptance today...

I think we will be hearing from Nebraska tomorrow. My application says that it has been reviewed and that the decision has been forwarded to the office of graduate studies for approval. Fingers crossed that is an acceptance.

22 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

Also waiting on UCR, they contacted me three weeks ago for some documents, but haven't heard since. Was  bit surprised to see the acceptance today...

I had contacted my POI earlier in the week and they said that the first decisions come out as early as February but the decision process can be long and drawn out and that some decisions come out as late as late April O_o

56 minutes ago, Adorno said:

Long time lurker here. I still haven't heard anything from Northwestern, anyone have any insight into what that could mean? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. 

Did you go to their application website? I did not receive any email from them, but my rejection letter is there since last week. Most decisions were not directly communicated to us.

43 minutes ago, Eobard Thawne said:

UCR just hired Dan Biggers, Jen Merolla, and Ben Newman, all well published faculty on the rise. Watch out for that program in the future, it's on the rise. 

Agreed! I think part of the later admissions decisions could be waitlist stuff? Im not stressing too much yet, it's a less competitive program than others but definitely on the rise!

6 minutes ago, finalsenator said:

Agreed! I think part of the later admissions decisions could be waitlist stuff? Im not stressing too much yet, it's a less competitive program than others but definitely on the rise!

Last year's cohort was 5 and its 4 now. They shoot for 8-9, so TA and RA positions should be easier to secure, plus Merolla and Newman might have brought grant money with them. If you're considering a program near that ranking, UCR will probably offer more opportunities to work with faculty. 

Who is your POI?

Edited by Eobard Thawne

It's pretty late. That person probably heard from his/her POI. Don't worry too much, but if the person is not trolling -- then MIT will release their results tomorrow. Good luck! 

Edited by s1994

3 minutes ago, HardPromises said:

If that MIT admit is real, depression and heartbreak is about to kick in. My dream school that's been on my mind every day since this stressful process began. Here we go...

MIT is probably my worst fit, so it would not be surprising. And then I'd have to wait for those final nails in this cycle's coffin: Yale and Harvard.

1 hour ago, Eobard Thawne said:

Last year's cohort was 5 and its 4 now. They shoot for 8-9, so TA and RA positions should be easier to secure, plus Merolla and Newman might have brought grant money with them. If you're considering a program near that ranking, UCR will probably offer more opportunities to work with faculty. 

Who is your POI?

While I am not typically a superstitious person, superstition is keeping my sanity through this cycle so I would prefer not to say. I will say that it was one of those you mentioned, who said they would put in a good word for me when I talked to them before finishing my application. idk how much weight that carries at the end of the day, but we will see.

14 minutes ago, finalsenator said:

While I am not typically a superstitious person, superstition is keeping my sanity through this cycle so I would prefer not to say. I will say that it was one of those you mentioned, who said they would put in a good word for me when I talked to them before finishing my application. idk how much weight that carries at the end of the day, but we will see.

It depends on who it is. Some have RA money already and some don't. Those with money have more weight at a public school where funding is more precious.