HGSE 2016

aina7

17 minutes ago, graciasadios said:

The Assistant Director of Admissions just emailed me! :rolleyes: Why? To let me know that I need to submit another version of my transcript. :mellow: Long story short, the pdf had a built-in expiration date and I had to send another copy. I don't think there is any significance here other than the confirmation that they are reviewing our applications!

Just getting notice they are reviewing applications is a great confirmation! Thank you for sharing this info with all of us. :) 

24 minutes ago, tatoaguilera said:

I just got an email from HGSE saying my application was complete. Have you guys gotten this?

What about the FinAid email? I haven't received that.

Cheers,

I have not gotten a thing as of now. What did you apply for?

59 minutes ago, tatoaguilera said:

I just got an email from HGSE saying my application was complete. Have you guys gotten this?

Cheers,

I got the same email! No to financial information. At least it means they're looking at our application now!

2 minutes ago, dear_valentine07 said:

I got the same email! No to financial information. At least it means they're looking at our application now!

Filled with very real panic now, because I'm getting no emails. This process is the worst. Ack.

1 hour ago, jlt646 said:

Filled with very real panic now, because I'm getting no emails. This process is the worst. Ack.

For one of my other schools that I'm applying to, they had mentioned that emails like that don't mean anything good or bad. From what they made it seem like, it's a few people just going through people's applications to make sure that everything is complete before the review begins. WHEN the application is complete doesn't have much to do whether you're going to get accepted or not. Hope that helps! Don't worry, I'm sure everything is okay!!!

10 hours ago, graciasadios said:

The Assistant Director of Admissions just emailed me! :rolleyes: Why? To let me know that I need to submit another version of my transcript. :mellow: Long story short, the pdf had a built-in expiration date and I had to send another copy. I don't think there is any significance here other than the confirmation that they are reviewing our applications!

3 hours ago, tatoaguilera said:

Cheers,

Yes, I also got the email today saying my application is complete.  So that's reassuring.... 

On a totally separate note, does anyone know anything about opportunities to study foreign languages under the HGSE program?  Can you audit classes in general?  Who should I ask about this?  My program has 4 elective classes I believe.  I was wondering if one can be a foreign language, and what school that would take place at?  The other IED/IEP programs I applied to at Penn and TC have foreign language opportunities, but I haven't seen much about it at HGSE.

Edited by Heather1011

6 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Yes, I also got the email today saying my application is complete.  So that's reassuring.... 

On a totally separate note, does anyone know anything about opportunities to study foreign languages under the HGSE program?  Can you audit classes in general?  Who should I ask about this?  My program has 4 elective classes I believe.  I was wondering if one can be a foreign language, and what school that would take place at?  The other IED/IEP programs I applied to at Penn and TC have foreign language opportunities, but I haven't seen much about it at HGSE.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you could probably use those 4 classes to cross-register either at another school in Harvard or MIT or Tufts as well (I think). 

For Harvard, I found this link that may be helpful: http://artsandhumanities.fas.harvard.edu/book/foreign-languages-offered-harvard

Just now, dear_valentine07 said:

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you could probably use those 4 classes to cross-register either at another school in Harvard or MIT or Tufts as well (I think). 

For Harvard, I found this link that may be helpful: http://artsandhumanities.fas.harvard.edu/book/foreign-languages-offered-harvard

Thanks!  Of course I assumed they *have* languages, just haven't read about anyone actually taking them at GSE :lol:!  

1 hour ago, tatoaguilera said:

I applied to the TIE (Technology, Innovation and Education)  program, what about you?

I applied to CIS PhD. I gather you applied for MA? (Just trying to make some sense here).

Edited by morifol
grammar

27 minutes ago, morifol said:

I have to CIS PhD. I gather you applied for MA? (Just trying to make some sense here).

I applied for a PhD too and I never got an email saying that my application was complete. I'm guessing that email went out to only MA applicants since they used a different application system than we did.

27 minutes ago, endlesscoffee said:

I applied for a PhD too and I never got an email saying that my application was complete. I'm guessing that email went out to only MA applicants since they used a different application system than we did.

Yes, I am thinking the same thing. You do realize we are stressing out for nothing, right? :)

Hello,

I take solace in stumbling upon a forum for individuals going through this process. While I haven't panicked yet, I am sure it will soon hit me. Having read pages 1-9 of this thread, I have come across useful and interesting information. Wherever you may begin your journey, I do hope that I find others here who I can build a collegial network with. It's always good to have someone to bounce ideas off of, outside of your immediate circle. 

All the Best!

13 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Thanks!  Of course I assumed they *have* languages, just haven't read about anyone actually taking them at GSE :lol:!  

AFAIK, there are no foreign language courses offered at HGSE, but of course lots of good courses on bilingualism and languages. Trust me, 4 courses will be more than enough on your plate per semester.

Just now, nicolemae said:

AFAIK, there are no foreign language courses offered at HGSE, but of course lots of good courses on bilingualism and languages. Trust me, 4 courses will be more than enough on your plate per semester.

Yes, but auditing a language would be low-pressure.... and really important to my job search in International Ed.... hmm....

It's funny because for the equivalent program at TC, studying a language is mandatory, and at Penn, basically everyone does it.  Both schools have FLAS fellowships and encourage you to learn a language.  It's just strange given the program that they wouldn't at HGSE.

24 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Yes, but auditing a language would be low-pressure.... and really important to my job search in International Ed.... hmm....

If you want to learn a language, I recommend going to Caracas instead of Cambridge. It would be a cheaper and you would learn the language more. Or, if you're set on auditing a language course, you could take a class at a Bunker Hill Community College for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by graciasadios

43 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

It's funny because for the equivalent program at TC, studying a language is mandatory, and at Penn, basically everyone does it.  Both schools have FLAS fellowships and encourage you to learn a language.  It's just strange given the program that they wouldn't at HGSE.

Good point! I wonder whether the focus of the program is perhaps different at each school. I can't speak for TC or Penn. At HGSE, many of my IEP friends concentrated on sharpening their other tools -- for some that was econ or stats, and for others that was policy or intl development. In any case, IEP at HGSE seemed much more centered around understanding the higher level world around international education, which is also quite apparent when you look into the bios of the faculty directing/teaching IEP students.

Also, given that a lot of them came from abroad (either as international students or as expats living overseas), many of them already had language skills under their belt, which was very impressive. ;)

1 hour ago, graciasadios said:

If you want to learn a language, I recommend going to Caracas instead of Cambridge. It would be a cheaper and you would learn the language more. Or, if you're set on auditing a language course, you could take a class at a Bunker Hill Community College for a fraction of the cost.

Well, I don't know if Caracas would be the place to go to learn Arabic, but I get your point :) There's no reason to pay HGSE to teach me a language when you can learn it literlaly everywhere.  Just that grad school seems like the best time and place to do it.  

58 minutes ago, nicolemae said:

Good point! I wonder whether the focus of the program is perhaps different at each school. I can't speak for TC or Penn. At HGSE, many of my IEP friends concentrated on sharpening their other tools -- for some that was econ or stats, and for others that was policy or intl development. In any case, IEP at HGSE seemed much more centered around understanding the higher level world around international education, which is also quite apparent when you look into the bios of the faculty directing/teaching IEP students.

Also, given that a lot of them came from abroad (either as international students or as expats living overseas), many of them already had language skills under their belt, which was very impressive. ;)

Yes, who knows if I'll even get in with so many international applicants dominating my particular field.  My focus is on development, which is why language is so important. I do already speak Spanish, but I want to refocus my interests in the Middle East.

43 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Well, I don't know if Caracas would be the place to go to learn Arabic, but I get your point :) There's no reason to pay HGSE to teach me a language when you can learn it literlaly everywhere.  Just that grad school seems like the best time and place to do it.  

Yes, who knows if I'll even get in with so many international applicants dominating my particular field.  My focus is on development, which is why language is so important. I do already speak Spanish, but I want to refocus my interests in the Middle East.

I'm hoping to do Arabic too! (Actually Jordan is the main place I've heard of for learning, for the immersion experience; they have language schools for expats and it's a relatively stable country). I speak the colloquial dialect where I work, but would like to learn MSA to read and write... btw, if you want to speak, it's best to find a teacher/conversation partner who is from the country you are planning to work in, because what they speak on the street can be quite different in different countries... 

anyway that's beside the point. for language, I was also thinking mainly of auditing, so that it would be cheaper and low pressure. I guess it would depend on the scheduling, tho'. I had thought of other classes in the area as well - e.g. at a YMCA type place, so thanks for the tip on the community college.

I did get the 'application complete' email, and haven't got the fin aid one yet.

29 minutes ago, marature said:

I'm hoping to do Arabic too! (Actually Jordan is the main place I've heard of for learning, for the immersion experience; they have language schools for expats and it's a relatively stable country). I speak the colloquial dialect where I work, but would like to learn MSA to read and write... btw, if you want to speak, it's best to find a teacher/conversation partner who is from the country you are planning to work in, because what they speak on the street can be quite different in different countries... 

anyway that's beside the point. for language, I was also thinking mainly of auditing, so that it would be cheaper and low pressure. I guess it would depend on the scheduling, tho'. I had thought of other classes in the area as well - e.g. at a YMCA type place, so thanks for the tip on the community college.

I did get the 'application complete' email, and haven't got the fin aid one yet.

I have a friend who did a summer immersion in Amman!  You're so right about all that. 

I am completely ignorant about the different dialects of Arabic, although I am aware there are many, so for starters I'll go with MSA.  I asked Penn about auditing language and Lauren the program person said that there are suddenly a lot of IEDP students taking Quechua.  I was like, uh, what's Quechua (google tells me it's a language spoken in the Andes).  I'm starting to feel like a right dummy going into these programs :unsure:

1 minute ago, Heather1011 said:

I have a friend who did a summer immersion in Amman!  You're so right about all that. 

I am completely ignorant about the different dialects of Arabic, although I am aware there are many, so for starters I'll go with MSA.  I asked Penn about auditing language and Lauren the program person said that there are suddenly a lot of IEDP students taking Quechua.  I was like, uh, what's Quechua (google tells me it's a language spoken in the Andes).  I'm starting to feel like a right dummy going into these programs :unsure:

Hmm.. that's interesting about Quechua. Maybe it's something to do with Prof Nancy Hornberger's work? I think she did (does??) a lot of research in that area. No worries about not knowing it - it's a minority language, though a lot of language development work has been done on it. I wouldn't think it's very well-known outside of linguistic/anthropological circles.

3 minutes ago, marature said:

Hmm.. that's interesting about Quechua. Maybe it's something to do with Prof Nancy Hornberger's work? I think she did (does??) a lot of research in that area. No worries about not knowing it - it's a minority language, though a lot of language development work has been done on it. I wouldn't think it's very well-known outside of linguistic/anthropological circles.

Yes, I bet it has mostly to do with her work.  They told me other students are studying Tibetan, Swahili, and Burmese, so there is definitely an active language scene going on!

1 minute ago, Heather1011 said:

Yes, I bet it has mostly to do with her work.  They told me other students are studying Tibetan, Swahili, and Burmese, so there is definitely an active language scene going on!

Wow, cool - makes me want to go there even more :)

2 hours ago, nicolemae said:

thanks for the insight into the IEP. do you know if Master's students at HGSE are able to get research assistantships with professors? (and if so, do they often?)