HGSE 2016

aina7

Let’s get the ball rolling for HGSE 2016, shall we? When doing research on HGSE, I found the previous threads immensely helpful. I will be attending this year’s diversity recruitment event on October 23, and would be more than happy to share with you the major takeaways if you are interested J I would also be happy to meet with you if you are also planning on coming to the event! As for now, here are my stats:

Applying for M.A
Program: Special Studies

GRE Score: V 155, Q 140, AWA: 4.0 (will be retaking in November)
GPA: 3.05 (2 health related withdrawals recommended by the university itself)
Work Experience: multiple internship & volunteer experiences in youth development throughout college (turned my last internship into a full-time job J). 1.5 years as a project coordinator at a leading policy research institution in the world.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): international student at a private city school  
Research Experience: My research experience is limited to my undergraduate years. I am more into project development, management and fundraising rather than research J
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPenn IEDP

Given my low GRE and GPA, I am planning to kick butt in my SoP, and work with my recommenders on drafting stellar LORs. I am also relying on the fact that I have very clear academic and professional goals as well as a strong understanding of what I want to do during my studies, and how I will use my degree after graduation.

Do I even stand a chance?...

Edited by aina7

Hi all, 

I graduated from the Human Development and Psychology Ed.M program in 2013, mostly with research-oriented interests - currently applying to PhD programs in educational neuroscience. I'd be happy to answer any questions for people interested in the master's program :)

What's the acceptance rate for the Ed.M. programs?

I'm not sure of this exactly, but I do know it depends on the program and on the year. It can be as low as 10% and as high as 20%, approximately, depending on the program and on the year. 

Hello all!  Thanks for getting this started, Aina7.  I, like Gvh, completed an HGSE masters program (Education Policy and Management, 2014), and am going to be applying this year for the EdLd program.  Happy to answer any questions about the masters program! I was definitely one of the constant posters on here during that application season, though under a different name. 

For reference, here are my stats (same as going into the masters program for the most part): 

Applying for: EdLd
Program: Doctorate of Education Leadership

GRE Score: V 160, Q 153, AWA: 6.0 
Undergrad GPA:  3.9 major, 3.7 overall
Work Experience: 6 years - high school English teacher (urban and suburban schools), 6 years - office manager for IT firm (part-time overlapping with teaching years), 1 year project manager in policy and strategic communications for top education research organization (job since HGSE round 1 :)

Volunteer Experience: Emerging Leaders Board Committee Chair for tutoring committee for foster care organization; event curator for TEDx event
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Miami University of Ohio (Public)
Research Experience: Undergrad: Research project on public school funding inequity; Graduate: Research project exploring teacher satisfaction levels between urban and suburban schools - seeking ways to improve urban teacher retention (My research experience is limited, and I am more interested in moving into leadership roles in policy, or nonprofits, etc, hence the EdLd rather than the PhD. 
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None. This is really the only program like it. All my eggs are in one basket... 

To get to individual questions: Aina7, I would say you definitely stand a shot but really try to improve your verbal and AWA GRE scores when you re-take in November.  Those are what they care about most.  The average GRE scores for HGSE masters programs are Q: 153   V: 159   V: 4.6.  But your experience is what matters most.  

dkh2121: HGSE doesn't have a specific number of students they accept.  The cohort can be larger or smaller based on the applicants any given year so it's really just a matter or whether or not they think you are a good fit.  I think the masters program actually has a higher percentage than dvh's estimate of 10-20% because those numbers are averaged in with the Phd and EdLd programs, which have between 4-5% accepting rates.  (eeeekk).  

I haven't taken the GRE yet but very concerned about my recent performance on the GRE practice test: Verbal: 152/ Quant: 148. I have a BA w/ 3.8 and a MA w/ 3.8 and working at the education department. Should I be concerned about my low GRE score? Or do you think my experience and graduate degree (my current MA program didn't require a GRE) will offset my low GRE score?

btw, I am applying to Harvard's Ed.M. program (Ed policy and Management).

Edited by dkh2121

Well, practice tests can vary so I would take several and just keep studying and reviewing up until the actual test.  I called my mom crying after my first GRE practice test. I don't remember the score now, but it was really bad.  Then the next one I took a few days later I scored way higher than my actual GRE and was unrealistically excited.  So I think just getting the practice in helps, and I wouldn't worry tooooo much about the scores on the practice tests.  If you can end up just getting your Quant up a couple of points from the 148, you'll be fine with that.  EPM cares more about your verbal, and especially your AWA.  Aside from that, your experience and letters of rec count way more anyway and will definitely offset the GRE score.  Once I was there I talked to a few profs who were on the admissions team who said basically, when it comes to the GRE, they want to know you are basically competent in math and that you're a strong writer, but your past experience and connection to your future goals is what they really care about. 

Also to be aware of - I don't know that HGSE does this, but an admissions professor at the Kennedy school told me they Google EVERY applicant they are seriously considering so make sure you don't have anything really derogatory publicly available on your social media or anything.  That same professor Googled everyone in our class and would randomly pull fun facts about us out.  (All positive accolades he found, but still). 

Also to be aware of - I don't know that HGSE does this, but an admissions professor at the Kennedy school told me they Google EVERY applicant they are seriously considering so make sure you don't have anything really derogatory publicly available on your social media or anything.  That same professor Googled everyone in our class and would randomly pull fun facts about us out.  (All positive accolades he found, but still). 

Ha, my current PI says he does this with everyone he is considering hiring for his lab (e.g.new grad students, postdocs, even undergrad RAs). I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people do this.

Retook practice test and got - verbal 153/quant 150. Will I have any chance with these low numbers. So frustrating... wish I had more time to study.

Retook practice test and got - verbal 153/quant 150. Will I have any chance with these low numbers. So frustrating... wish I had more time to study.

Just remember that the GRE is only a small fraction of the whole picture.  It's more about your experience and how you plan to connect it to your future goals, and how HGSE will help you get to the next step.  They don't just want GRE-acers - they want dedicated people with proven experience and some variation of a plan for future success.  So the GRE only proves your basic competence as opposed to your undergrad GPA, statement of purpose, resume, and letters of rec, which tell a lot more about your potential to succeed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else applying for International Education Policy program?  This will be a career change for me (3 years teaching NYC urban schools, now I want to go into NGO/international policy work), so I'm a bit nervous with my lack of international work experience.  I think I can defend myself well in my SOP, though.  I have good GPA/recs.

Taking the GRE for the first and obviously last time November 7 (wouldn't have enough time to take it again)... really dropped the ball on giving myself time to fail on that one... looks like it's gonna be a one-shot deal, so here's hoping a little bit of studying will get me decent scores.  Eeek!  

Is anyone else struggling with/confused by the "other activities" section of the application?  Like, I work full time in education, and I am currently finishing another Masters degree.. I don't tutor kids on the side :P  .  I can easily fill this up with education-related volunteering I did as an undergraduate, but that was almost 4 years ago now and I'm not sure Harvard wants to see that.  Plus, wouldn't anything important already be on my resume?  But I feel like I couldn't possibly leave this section BLANK.  Advice from current students?  Do they want to know about my non-education activities? (Such as fundraising for cancer research or ... I don't know...)

Edited by HRK1011

Hey all,

I'm considering applying as well and figured I'd jump in. My stats:

Program: Ed.M Education Policy and Management
GRE Score: TBD on 11/07
GPA: 3.58
Work Experience: 2yrs as Fulbright Korea ETA; multiple on-campus jobs in admissions and organizing local tutoring programs as well as an internship for a national NGO working on federal budget policy
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Little Three 
Research Experience: All in undergrad--honors thesis (not ed related), worked with professor on research about Cambridge Public Schools for two semesters and a summer, co-wrote a policy report for an MA-based NGO for a winter term non-credit course
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPenn, Vandy, TC

I doubt my stats are too competitive, but you never know so let's try anyway.

Best of luck to all,

K

Is anyone else struggling with/confused by the "other activities" section of the application?  Like, I work full time in education, and I am currently finishing another Masters degree.. I don't tutor kids on the side :P  .  I can easily fill this up with education-related volunteering I did as an undergraduate, but that was almost 4 years ago now and I'm not sure Harvard wants to see that.  Plus, wouldn't anything important already be on my resume?  But I feel like I couldn't possibly leave this section BLANK.  Advice from current students?  Do they want to know about my non-education activities? (Such as fundraising for cancer research or ... I don't know...)

Hi everyone! I'm currently an Ed.M. student at HGSE and this forum was very helpful when I was applying last year, so I just wanted to jump in here and contribute. 

As for the question above, no, your "extra activities" do not need to be education-related. They want to get a better picture of who you are as a person and they have all the other sections in the application to know what you did professionally and academically. Also, note that the application asks for a start and an end date for each activity, meaning you can and maybe should include activities you did in the past if you think they add to your application somehow. My "extra activities" were my history working as a professional ballet dancer before I started college (completely unrelated to my program, I wasn't applying to AIE), volunteering as Social Media Manager for a non-profit independent theatre organization, and volunteering at an anti-bullying organization (this one was the only one somewhat related to education). Think of interesting things that you have done in the past and try to come up with 3. 

As for the other questions discussed above...

- Do GRE scores matter?

As the alumni in this thread have said above, they are just a small part of your application. HGSE is very much part of the discussion around standardized testing, and the first thing that they tell you when you get here, at least in TIE, is "exams and grades are bullshit" (one faculty literally said that). That being said, if you get extremely low scores it might raise some eyebrows, but if you are at least close to the average scores of admitted students, I wouldn't sweat it. The most important part of the GRE is the AW section. An admissions officer said last year that they would worry if you got 3.5 or less. But if you get 4.0 or above, I don't think it really makes any difference. Focus on your SoP and LoRs, those are the two most important things.

- What's the acceptance rate for Ed.M. program?

Again, as some have said above, no one really knows. I've heard people speculate it was 10%, and others say it was 40%. The truth is, no one really knows, as they don't make that information public. The closest thing I ever heard an admissions officer say last year was something like "we are willing to accept as many talented and passionate individuals as we can" (or something like that). In other words, if they think you are a good fit for HGSE, you're in - there's no cap. 

Just remember that the GRE is only a small fraction of the whole picture.  It's more about your experience and how you plan to connect it to your future goals, and how HGSE will help you get to the next step.  They don't just want GRE-acers - they want dedicated people with proven experience and some variation of a plan for future success.  So the GRE only proves your basic competence as opposed to your undergrad GPA, statement of purpose, resume, and letters of rec, which tell a lot more about your potential to succeed. 

Hi! I want to ask you a question. I had a master degree before, but I dont like the field and I decided to pursue a education master degree because I like education. There is a problem, my gpa during previous master was lower than 3.0. Will the professors think I may not have the ability for graduate study? Should I explain in the personal statement? Thank you very much!

On 10/30/2015, 11:08:14, elveintiocho said:

Hi everyone! I'm currently an Ed.M. student at HGSE and this forum was very helpful when I was applying last year, so I just wanted to jump in here and contribute. 

As for the question above, no, your "extra activities" do not need to be education-related. They want to get a better picture of who you are as a person and they have all the other sections in the application to know what you did professionally and academically. Also, note that the application asks for a start and an end date for each activity, meaning you can and maybe should include activities you did in the past if you think they add to your application somehow. My "extra activities" were my history working as a professional ballet dancer before I started college (completely unrelated to my program, I wasn't applying to AIE), volunteering as Social Media Manager for a non-profit independent theatre organization, and volunteering at an anti-bullying organization (this one was the only one somewhat related to education). Think of interesting things that you have done in the past and try to come up with 3. 

As for the other questions discussed above...

- Do GRE scores matter?

As the alumni in this thread have said above, they are just a small part of your application. HGSE is very much part of the discussion around standardized testing, and the first thing that they tell you when you get here, at least in TIE, is "exams and grades are bullshit" (one faculty literally said that). That being said, if you get extremely low scores it might raise some eyebrows, but if you are at least close to the average scores of admitted students, I wouldn't sweat it. The most important part of the GRE is the AW section. An admissions officer said last year that they would worry if you got 3.5 or less. But if you get 4.0 or above, I don't think it really makes any difference. Focus on your SoP and LoRs, those are the two most important things.

- What's the acceptance rate for Ed.M. program?

Again, as some have said above, no one really knows. I've heard people speculate it was 10%, and others say it was 40%. The truth is, no one really knows, as they don't make that information public. The closest thing I ever heard an admissions officer say last year was something like "we are willing to accept as many talented and passionate individuals as we can" (or something like that). In other words, if they think you are a good fit for HGSE, you're in - there's no cap. 

It's nice to know there is no cap... makes me feel like they'll evaluate me based on my own merit and not necessarily in comparison to others (as much as possible).

For those who have taken the GRE already AND done practice tests... how closely did your practice scores mirror your actual GRE score?  I have taken practice tests on PowerPrep and gotten HGSE average percentile scores, but still have to take the test next week.

On 1 de noviembre de 2015, 5:52:45 AM, glorybridge said:

Hi! I want to ask you a question. I had a master degree before, but I dont like the field and I decided to pursue a education master degree because I like education. There is a problem, my gpa during previous master was lower than 3.0. Will the professors think I may not have the ability for graduate study? Should I explain in the personal statement? Thank you very much!

I would explain it in my statement of purpose and try to make a case that this is somehow related to how you realized you were passionate about education. 

On 1 de noviembre de 2015, 4:59:41 PM, HRK1011 said:

It's nice to know there is no cap... makes me feel like they'll evaluate me based on my own merit and not necessarily in comparison to others (as much as possible).

For those who have taken the GRE already AND done practice tests... how closely did your practice scores mirror your actual GRE score?  I have taken practice tests on PowerPrep and gotten HGSE average percentile scores, but still have to take the test next week.

I actually took the PowerPrep tests the day before and scored a little higher on the real test, but just one or 2 points. 

Well here we go again!... Applying for PhD programs, just a few years out of a master's program.  I've been a longtime member of this forum, and it's great to be back!  Not in terms of application torture, but because of all you cool cats. :D

Program: PhD
GRE Score: 90+ percentile
GPA: 3.7 undergraduate. Grad program did not weigh GPA.
Work Experience: I'll have 2 years of research experience by the time I (hopefully) matriculate. Plus a smattering of internships and summer jobs -- still below average age for a PhD applicant.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Private school (Top 20? 30?)

Research Experience: My current job is in research.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: See signature below

I also completed the master's program at HGSE, so feel free to ask away if you have any questions.  In the meantime, seeking help from any past HGSE doctoral program applicants... :ph34r:

Hey everyone

Just stumbled on this forum (wish I'd found it sooner). Excited to be jumping in here.

I'll add more about myself shortly, but just wanted to see if anyone else will be at the HGSE daylong open-house tomorrow? I'd be happy to post impressions and insights I get from them after attending if people here would be interested in that.

Best of luck to everyone as we apply!

On November 1, 2015 at 4:52:45 AM, glorybridge said:

I think if you can explain it and otherwise prove your capabilities you should be OK.  I would definitely explain it a bit in your personal statement - HGSE programs do entail a LOT of reading and writing, so there probably is a general expectation that admitted students be able to handle such loads and prior GPA is one way they can tell this.  If your previous masters was in something completely unrelated though, I think you have solid ground to stand on.   Good luck!!

14 hours ago, mjsmith said:

Hey everyone

Just stumbled on this forum (wish I'd found it sooner). Excited to be jumping in here.

I'll add more about myself shortly, but just wanted to see if anyone else will be at the HGSE daylong open-house tomorrow? I'd be happy to post impressions and insights I get from them after attending if people here would be interested in that.

Wish I could!  I'm in the process of drafting my personal statement, the last and most important thing I still have to do for the app.  Eeeks.  

Hi everyone, 

I am interested in applying to the International Education Policy Program. My background, however, is in a totally unrelated field. I am currently working in a molecular neurogenetics lab doing bench research, but found myself getting more and more drawn to education. Besides some informal classes that I taught in my parent's school in Nepal, I don't really have any experience in the education field. GRE Scores: V: 163, Q:160. 

Should I wait for another year to gain some more relevant experience? Or will they trust me enough based on my theoretical ideas? :)

Also, what about the funding the program? Any way to apply for funding? Don't really want loans :'(

Thanks for your help!

5 hours ago, Shlee467 said:

Wish I could!  I'm in the process of drafting my personal statement, the last and most important thing I still have to do for the app.  Eeeks.  

That's all I have left as well.  (Taking GRE's tomorrow!)  I have like 9 pages of random notes/outline/ideas (mostly lists, not paragraphs), but have yet to tackle actually writing the darn thing.  I'll probably start next week and take most of December to revise.  I want to submit early but really there is no point, I assume.  They likely don't begin reviewing applications until next year anyway.

19 hours ago, mjsmith said:

Hey everyone

I can't go, but I'd really love and appreciate any observations you can share!

1 hour ago, JD2015 said:

Hi everyone, 

I am interested in applying to the International Education Policy Program. My background, however, is in a totally unrelated field. I am currently working in a molecular neurogenetics lab doing bench research, but found myself getting more and more drawn to education. Besides some informal classes that I taught in my parent's school in Nepal, I don't really have any experience in the education field. GRE Scores: V: 163, Q:160. 

Should I wait for another year to gain some more relevant experience? Or will they trust me enough based on my theoretical ideas? :)

Also, what about the funding the program? Any way to apply for funding? Don't really want loans :'(

Thanks for your help!

You sound like me (sort of!).  I'm applying to IEP as well, similar GRE scores.  I've worked in education but NOT in an international capacity, which I feel is the most important thing they are looking for in applicants (if not international experience than like you said, theoretical proof of genuine interest).  I feel like if you can craft a narrative about why and how you were drawn to the field, you stand a strong chance.  I attended a virtual info session last week and the admissions staff really emphasized that they value people with different experiences because it adds something enriching to the cohort of students to have a scientist or whoever mixed in.  If you have the grades, scores, and recs to back it up, and can defend your interests passionately, I don't see why they wouldn't take you.

That was equally a pep talk for myself :P  I've been a math teacher for three years but I want to study humanitarian intervention and refugee education under IEP, none of which I have any actual experience in.  But I want to believe that if I can explain where this desire to switch careers comes from and how HGSE can help me achieve my goals, I could be accepted.  It's tough, I feel the program is slightly more competitive than the teaching ones, and the majority of applicants will be coming from international ed/development backgrounds.