HGSE 2016

aina7

I have a question to people who were accepted last year or maybe have done a better job researching than I have. What do you know about housing that HGSE PhD students can hope to get with the funding?.. How are things now with that? I've read Cambridge/Boston are really expensive in terms of real estate. And I will be relying on a scholarship only.

I'm asking because I want to be truly excited about waiting, and not anticipate worrying of a different kind when I do get an offer....

2 hours ago, dkh2121 said:

GREs more important than GPAs? or is it the other way around?

I think it's not the best way to put this question... First of all, they only become important if they are exceptional - exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. Then, it really depends on what you are applying for. MA?

9 hours ago, morifol said:

I think it's not the best way to put this question... First of all, they only become important if they are exceptional - exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. Then, it really depends on what you are applying for. MA?

Yes, applying for Ed.M.

Hello everyone: I noticed I had a typo in one of the answers to a question on the application, after I hit submit button.  I typed "tool" instead of "took" so just wondering if that is such a big deal?? I could email HGSE admissions and tell them about this typo and request them to correct it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I checked my SOP and other essays, no typo's in them. Thank you

Edited by Huskyboy2015

29 minutes ago, edldwannabe said:

I am too embarrassed to post my GRE scores, but I have an undergrad gpa of 3.2 and grad of 3.88. Really want admission into HGSE EdL.D. program. Any ideas of how GRE scores are weighted? 

Admissions has said the writing score is the most important of the three, (many people have been admitted with sub 150 math, but I haven't seen anyone on this forum admitted with sub 3.5/4 writing---that's not to say it hasn't happened, I'm sure it must have).  Beyond that, though, it is just one of many factors and your SOP is probably the most important thing.  For a doctorate though, you'd want all components to be as stellar as possible.

17 hours ago, Huskyboy2015 said:

Hello everyone: I noticed I had a typo in one of the answers to a question on the application, after I hit submit button.  I typed "tool" instead of "took" so just wondering if that is such a big deal?? I could email HGSE admissions and tell them about this typo and request them to correct it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I checked my SOP and other essays, no typo's in them. Thank you

This is why I'm not letting myself re-read any of my applications after I submit them.... nothing I can do, and I'll just see the bad in them.  But like we've said, it'll be fine!

Edited by Heather1011

18 hours ago, Huskyboy2015 said:

Is it evident from the context what you mean? For what it’s worth, I had a similar experience - was mortified to find that I had submitted 2 applications with the wrong starting year for one of my degrees. Of course the correct year was in the transcript, so the committee would know how long my degree really took.

I debated whether or not to email admissions and in the end I decided to do so, if only so they knew I noticed, and for my own peace of mind... In both cases, someone replied to say it wasn’t a big deal. And I actually just received offers of admission to both of them, so I guess it was okay! :)  So I guess if it’s a little thing it doesn’t matter so much (and I think it’s up to you whether you want to email them or not).

Program: Ed.M. School Leadership Program

GRE Score: 162 V 161 Q 5.0 AW

Undergraduate GPA: 3.13

Undergraduate Institution: Top 50 Liberal Arts College

Graduate GPA: 3.61

Work Experience: 4 years teaching in 50% English and 50% Spanish at a Chicago Public School and 5 years of private tutoring.

Research Experience:

•  Research Assistant in the University of Chicago's Human Performance Lab (8 months)
  • Research Assistant in the University of Chicago's Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience (3 months)
  • Assistant Editor on a book published by Cambridge University Press (8 months)
  • Research Assistant in the American Medical Association's Ethics Department (3 months)
  • Community Researcher for Food for the Hungry - Nicaragua (8 months)

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Stanford (POLS), UC Berkeley (PLI), UCLA (PLI), and UT-Austin (UTAPP)

3 hours ago, graciasadios said:

Program: Ed.M. School Leadership Program

GRE Score: 162 V 161 Q 5.0 AW

Undergraduate GPA: 3.13

Undergraduate Institution: Top 50 Liberal Arts College

Graduate GPA: 3.61

Work Experience: 4 years teaching in 50% English and 50% Spanish at a Chicago Public School and 5 years of private tutoring.

Research Experience:

•  Research Assistant in the University of Chicago's Human Performance Lab (8 months)
  • Research Assistant in the University of Chicago's Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience (3 months)
  • Assistant Editor on a book published by Cambridge University Press (8 months)
  • Research Assistant in the American Medical Association's Ethics Department (3 months)
  • Community Researcher for Food for the Hungry - Nicaragua (8 months)

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Stanford (POLS), UC Berkeley (PLI), UCLA (PLI), and UT-Austin (UTAPP)

You look like an ideal candidate to me. The only thing you need is a strong SoP, but in your case it's about not spoiling the image rather than building it.

After reading this thread, I have determined that    my chances of getting into the EdL.D program are between slim and none. My credentials are no where as pristine as those posted on here. Best of luck to each of you! 

3 hours ago, edldwannabe said:

After reading this thread, I have determined that    my chances of getting into the EdL.D program are between slim and none. My credentials are no where as pristine as those posted on here. Best of luck to each of you! 

The only way to definitely not get in is to not apply :)  You NEVER know what they might see in you, and if it's something you're passionate about, and they can see that, anything is possible.  I know that sounds trite but having read HGSE and other top notch schools' previous years' threads, it's clear that people with so-called underwhelming credentials can get accepted.

9 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

The only way to definitely not get in is to not apply :)  You NEVER know what they might see in you, and if it's something you're passionate about, and they can see that, anything is possible.  I know that sounds trite but having read HGSE and other top notch schools' previous years' threads, it's clear that people with so-called underwhelming credentials can get accepted.

Thanks, Heather1011!! I appreciate the encouragement! I applied and really want to get in. I am a late bloomer, who finally realizes what she wants to be. I know that I am capable, and ready to give it my all!

1 hour ago, KaySsaem said:

Hey guys, I'm so nervous to finally submit my application (I'm one of those people that double-checks until the very last opportunity). Good luck guys!

Best of luck to you! I understand the nerves, but the relief once you submit it is GREAT!

4 hours ago, morifol said:

When do they usually write about interviews? And if someone is not invited for an interview, what will that mean?

Based on previous years threads, it looks like they write about interviews mid-late January, and if you're not invited it is still technically possible you can be accepted, but much less likely, and you'd be deferred into the EdM pool if that's something you selected.

2 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Based on previous years threads, it looks like they write about interviews mid-late January, and if you're not invited it is still technically possible you can be accepted, but much less likely, and you'd be deferred into the EdM pool if that's something you selected.

Not really clear... So is it technically possible that you still get accepted to the PhD program, or is it only possible that you are deferred into the EdM?

17 minutes ago, morifol said:

Not really clear... So is it technically possible that you still get accepted to the PhD program, or is it only possible that you are deferred into the EdM?

In short, yes you can still get accepted for PhD.  Long version:  I think they wait until they have interviewed everyone before giving a formal PhD rejection to people who didn't get interviewed.  If they find the people they interview are not actually what they want, they may return to the applicant pool and ask for new interviews from those who weren't initially offered, but that doesn't seem very common because they typically ask 30+ to interview for even fewer slots, so I think it's rare that they wind up needing to interview more people, but I'm sure it's possible and happens once in a while.  I think they wait until after they've interviewed everyone before formally rejecting the other PhD applicants who did not get an interview and that would be when they defer you to EdM.

Hope that made more sense.

Edited by Heather1011

8 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

In short, yes you can still get accepted for PhD.  Long version:  I think they wait until they have interviewed everyone before giving a formal PhD rejection to people who didn't get interviewed.  If they find the people they interview are not actually what they want, they may return to the applicant pool and ask for new interviews from those who weren't initially offered, but that doesn't seem very common because they typically ask 30+ to interview for even fewer slots, so I think it's rare that they wind up needing to interview more people, but I'm sure it's possible and happens once in a while.  I think they wait until after they've interviewed everyone before formally rejecting the other PhD applicants who did not get an interview and that would be when they defer you to EdM.

Hope that made more sense.

And, according to the data you have collected, it is not possible that they are just sure you are perfect and do not need to interview you?

Just now, morifol said:

And, according to the data you have collected, it is not possible that they are just sure you are perfect and do not need to interview you?

I'm no expert really, but it just seemed that, based only on gradcafe postings, you had to receive an interview to be accepted.  I'm not certain about that though.  

1 hour ago, Heather1011 said:

I'm no expert really, but it just seemed that, based only on gradcafe postings, you had to receive an interview to be accepted.  I'm not certain about that though.  

I have a friend who got accepted last year with no interview. He found out in late March I think, so suspects he was waitlisted while they interviewed most. 

Edited by samsonite2pv