SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2016-2017

rugox

Our grad program emailed out to faculty supervisors and applicants who were successful, so I know I received one, but don't know which one yet. Over in BC, suspect I'll be waiting until closer to the end of the week...

Edited by Sevenoffs

2 hours ago, swedishberry said:

Huh...I'm in Kingston and the mail for the day has arrived, but no letter.

Yep, same with me. I'm in Edmonton and no letter in my box. And I'm going out of town for a conference tomorrow before I will have a chance to check the mail.Between my conference talk and not knowing the news I am going to go absolutely crazy.

Have my letter here in the UK (I certainly don't miss Canada Post!), but have been annoyingly waitlisted at 12.1. Can't wait to wait even longer :)

Congrats to all those who have been successful! May you share your scores so we can figure off what the cut-off looks like this year?

Edited by expat

Received the letter today in North York. Unfortunately, I'll have to try again next year - a little embarrassed to have a score of 9.2. That said, I've been on a roll for my other applications/scholarships, so I'll take this as an opportunity to remain grounded :). Some further context for people applying again next year, I was a direct applicant, who will be starting my PhD in Social Work at York this September. 

Best of luck for those still waiting to hear back!

2 hours ago, ry0718 said:

Received an official letter today (Edmonton). Waitlisted. Any information about what to do for those who waitlisted? 

I also received my official letter today, and I was also waitlisted (with a score of 12.5). Bump for info on this! :) Anybody been waitlisted and ended up receiving funding? What are the odds?

Edit: I'm in downtown Toronto. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Edited by lhume

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Received the letter today in North York. Unfortunately, I'll have to try again next year - a little embarrassed to have a score of 9.2. That said, I've been on a roll for my other applications/scholarships, so I'll take this as an opportunity to remain grounded :). Some further context for people applying again next year, I was a direct applicant, who will be starting my PhD in Social Work at York this September. 

Best of luck for those still waiting to hear back!

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Besides, my score last year was either a 7.2 or a 7.6. I know plenty of people that have gone from a flat rejection one year to a full $35,000 for 3 years with the only significant change to the application being a publication on their CV.

Letter came in to make the phone call to York last Friday official: SSHRC Fellowship with 13/20 (so close to the waitlist...). Now I'll drink to the health of UChicago that will be taking approximately 70% of that money away. :angry: (P.S.: I don't want to sound ungrateful; I just think that it's an absolute shame (that's a soft way to put it) that Canadian and American universities with large endowments end up cashing most of the awards, especially the SSHRC fellowship.)

1 hour ago, mojoliveshere said:

No letter yet in Victoria, but news from my graduate secretary that I was successful : ) Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Has anyone located in the lower mainland heard from their graduate secretaries yet?  Since snail mail take forever to get to Vancouver, it is such a long wait for us!

Congrats to the recent winners in this thread! @rabellos, I have not yet heard and I also am in the lower mainland, though to be fair I have not sent an email asking my institution either. I figure I'll bite my nails until the letter arrives. I am more of a visual person anyways, and seeing the letter will make it more real - whatever the outcome. ;)

No mail today, however... Hoping for tomorrow but betting on Friday.

Edited to ask: Do the official letters provide a ranking as well as a score? (i.e. if you are waitlisted do you have somewhat of an idea of your standing?)

Edited by OatsandBeans
Edited to ask a question

Received my letter today in Toronto! Awarded the CGS-D with a score of 15.8 - so very excited!!

However, I'm already in a program outside Canada so will need to turn it down in favor of a fellowship I think? I assume it's routine to do that, but can anyone confirm? Having daymares of them taking it away all together... best of luck to those still waiting!! 

2 hours ago, biggoalies said:

Letter came in to make the phone call to York last Friday official: SSHRC Fellowship with 13/20 (so close to the waitlist...). Now I'll drink to the health of UChicago that will be taking approximately 70% of that money away. :angry: (P.S.: I don't want to sound ungrateful; I just think that it's an absolute shame (that's a soft way to put it) that Canadian and American universities with large endowments end up cashing most of the awards, especially the SSHRC fellowship.)

Really? Do you just mean to pay fees and tuition kind of thing? Because the schools I am familiar with (all in Canada) actually provide a bit of top up money and/or provide tuition waivers to people who win major external awards like SSHRC.

18 minutes ago, DealBreakerC said:

Really? Do you just mean to pay fees and tuition kind of thing? Because the schools I am familiar with (all in Canada) actually provide a bit of top up money and/or provide tuition waivers to people who win major external awards like SSHRC.

They do, but ultimately that means that you only really get a tiny % of the value of the award, when compared to your initial guaranteed funding. I imagine that the % begins to grow when one gets CGS, Vanier, or Trudeau... but it initially feels like a bit of a punch in the face when you realize that the neoliberal university is, once again, cashing up on your academic labor [gets trickier, and perhaps slightly more understandable in Canada since universities are publicly-funded to some extent, but that's certainly not the case of UChicago as far as I know]. I would like to think that it certainly doesn't have to be that way; if anything, some universities (e.g.: Rice) let you keep everything (i.e.: they don't withdraw the guaranteed funding as a whole or in part). But anyway, I don't want to sound too depressing! :rolleyes:

Edited by biggoalies