SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2016-2017

rugox

5 hours ago, expat said:

Have my letter here in the UK (I certainly don't miss Canada Post!), but have been annoyingly waitlisted at 12.1. Can't wait to wait even longer :)

Congrats to all those who have been successful! May you share your scores so we can figure off what the cut-off looks like this year?

It seems like the waitlist score range this year is in the ballpark of 12.1-13. I would imagine the upperbound would be less than 13 but close to 13.

1 hour ago, rugox said:

It seems like the waitlist score range this year is in the ballpark of 12.1-13. I would imagine the upperbound would be less than 13 but close to 13.

I have been waitlisted with "11.55".  I found it strange to have two decimal places on my score....

3 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

Awarded the 35K award (letter arrived at my parent's house in Calgary)! I'll likely have to turn it down to because I wasn't admitted anywhere. It's a big disappointment, 

35k one is a big deal, have you tried contacting the schools again?

20 minutes ago, crackers said:

35k one is a big deal, have you tried contacting the schools again?

Not yet. I'm going to try to see if maybe a program can squeeze an extra spot for me. I was able to do it for my Master's (same deal, won the award, rejected everywhere), so hopefully I'll be lucky again. 

3 hours ago, JimJamJumal said:

Hello everyone!

First of all, I just wanted to say that I am so thankful for this supportive community. I've been a long-time lurker (3 years now), but too shy to respond to anything. Anyhow, I received my letter in Edmonton this afternoon. After 4 attempts, including applying as a direct applicant, I received a CGS-D with a score of 17.4. Last year I was rejected with a score of 11.2 or something like that. I can't remember. It was a bad day. 

Congratulations to those who have won, and for those who are disappointed, remember that this is not your only kick at the SSHRC can. :) 

Congratulations! Just wondering how you recieved a CGS if this is your fourth time applying? Are you in your fourth year in a PhD? I thought CGS was only available to those who had completed less than 2 years of PhD study?

Congrats to all the winners!

I received my letter yesterday in downtown Toronto and received the Doctoral Fellowship for up to four years. My score was 13.5/20 and I am entering my 2nd year of the PhD in the fall.

8 hours ago, Weberian said:

Congratulations! Just wondering how you recieved a CGS if this is your fourth time applying? Are you in your fourth year in a PhD? I thought CGS was only available to those who had completed less than 2 years of PhD study?

Thanks so much! 

I suppose I am technically in my third year, if you take into account the year I started my studies. However, I was on maternity leave this past year so I suppose SSHRC takes that into consideration. 

Edited by JimJamJumal

42 minutes ago, JimJamJumal said:

Thanks so much! 

I suppose I am technically in my third year, if you take into account the year I started my studies. However, I was on maternity leave this past year so I suppose SSHRC takes that into consideration. 

Congrats @JimJamJumal ! I was just reading the Award Holder's guide (because what else is there to read when you still havn't received the letter...) and apparently SSHRC offers paid parental leaves, which I assume extend your fellowship and add to the total amount. I am highly impressed that they support their researchers in that way. Unless I'm reading it wrong. Has anyone requested this before?

@FacelessMage I believe you can defer for one year! I don't know if you have to say you weren't accepted into a program though; for all SSHRC knows, that's beside the fact because you decided you needed to take a year off for whatever reason. So if you haven't gotten into a program, try to defer your award for one year and take that year to apply again! Good luck if you do, and congrats to everyone who has received the award.

17 hours ago, biggoalies said:

Letter came in to make the phone call to York last Friday official: SSHRC Fellowship with 13/20 (so close to the waitlist...). Now I'll drink to the health of UChicago that will be taking approximately 70% of that money away. :angry: (P.S.: I don't want to sound ungrateful; I just think that it's an absolute shame (that's a soft way to put it) that Canadian and American universities with large endowments end up cashing most of the awards, especially the SSHRC fellowship.)

Hi Biggoalies, 

You might want to check with your department at UChicago to see if they might waive your tuition fees. I'm also enrolled at a US institution and depending on the source of external funding (and other internal matters I'm sure I'm ignorant of), the department waives tuition. I'm not sure if the SSHRC qualifies yet. My department chair is looking into it.

1 hour ago, Weberian said:

Receive my letter today (West Coast). I received a SSHRC doctoral scholarship with a score of 19.8/20. This was my third time applying. The moral of the story is: don't give up!

Rejected, no-waitlist this time with a score of 11.4/20.   Thank you Weberian for your inspiration!!  I am finishing up my second year and plan to reapply again in the fall of my third year.  (hopefully 4th time applying will help)

57 minutes ago, soc.studyhermit said:

Rejected, no-waitlist this time with a score of 11.4/20.   Thank you Weberian for your inspiration!!  I am finishing up my second year and plan to reapply again in the fall of my third year.  (hopefully 4th time applying will help)

Is the waitlist different for each committee?

12 minutes ago, rugox said:

Is the waitlist different for each committee?

I really think so!!  Last year I was waitlisted with a 10.6 whereas some people were flat out rejected with higher rankings than me, so that would be the only explanation.

Bit of a random question. I initially applied with one school in mind and was accepted, but turned down their offer to go to another school. Is there anything I need to submit to SSHRC to let them know that I am taking my funding elsewhere? The original school sent me a bunch of random emails even though I turned down their offer months ago.

Long time lurker, no account, first time poster with account.

13.1 -- offered SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship, first year PhD. Barely above the waitlist it seems. Phew.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Edited by johnjam
Wrong Award, not CGS Bombardier

Got my letter yesterday (Alberta). Very low mark, clear rejection, second year in a row. I really don't understand it, as my graduate department is very excited about my research and a number of other friends and colleagues have really expressed interest and confidence in the applicability and necessity of my work. Oh well. Third times a charm eh? One thing that may have hindered me (grasping at straws here) is that both of my applications have been made while still an MA student with an 'expected' graduation in the near future. I am now actually enrolled in my PhD program so maybe that will make a difference. Regardless, more research and reading will be done over the summer to try and improve the proposal for September.

Congrats @johnjam! Sorry to hear that, @mckinnon42. Rejection always stings. The incoming results here all seem to be indicate a high rate of success for applicants in their third year though! Here's hoping third time is the charm for you!

If letters arrived to Alberta yesterday I am even more hopeful they will arrive in Vancouver today. I don't want to have to wait it out for yet another weekend....

Edited by OatsandBeans