MPH Canada Fall 2016

Snehal2410

21 minutes ago, JasonHe said:

Waitlisted. The program director's auto-reply said she was out of Canada and couldn't process emails until May 3. Where did you get the information which indicated the status would be notified till the end of April?

One of my friends emailed to "Askmph" and auto-reply said you would be notified about our final decision till end of April...

Hey everyone, for those asking about McMaster MPH, I emailed them and they said they sent out their admissions offers and such 3 weeks ago. I called and asked them about my app and they told me they didn't even get my application! They're looking into it now but I got my confirmation email and everything. So call and ask about your applications if you haven't heard back yet. They also said that some of the emails they sent bounced back so those may be one of you guys.

Hey did anyone attend the UofT epi webinar yesterday? 
I was in the one today and there were quite a lot of people (around 75? though I know some of the people were part of the school) I know the class size this year is 45, so just wondering if anyone has an idea of how big the webinar yesterday was, may give us a sense of the waitlist size... though based on today alone its a big one. 

Hey everyone, 

I've been wait listed for MPH, social and behavioural health sciences. Does anyone know what the stats are like for coming off the wait list? 

Hi all!

I was hoping if individuals could help provide insight on a dilemma I'm grappling with. 

I got accepted to both the UBC MPH and U of T MPH (Health Promotion) programs. I am very interested in health equity, and community development - and emphasized that in both of my LOI's. I also have a strong qualitative background. In the course of my MPH, I am hoping to get a stronger foundation in quantitative methodologies, but also continue to develop my interests as I indicated. 

The primary factor I'm weighing is how positively each program will influence and support career aspirations - so if that's a function of location, networking opportunities, practicum quality, general reputation, etc - I'd love to hear from other applicants and current/past students on this! 

13 hours ago, mphzz said:

Hi all!

I was hoping if individuals could help provide insight on a dilemma I'm grappling with. 

I got accepted to both the UBC MPH and U of T MPH (Health Promotion) programs. I am very interested in health equity, and community development - and emphasized that in both of my LOI's. I also have a strong qualitative background. In the course of my MPH, I am hoping to get a stronger foundation in quantitative methodologies, but also continue to develop my interests as I indicated. 

The primary factor I'm weighing is how positively each program will influence and support career aspirations - so if that's a function of location, networking opportunities, practicum quality, general reputation, etc - I'd love to hear from other applicants and current/past students on this! 

I am wondering the same for UofT (but for the MPH-epi stream). 

I was set on McGill, but after tuning in to the webinar held by UofT earlier this week, I am unsure. They really made it seem like they are a top school in terms of preparing students for careers and making sure they have the necessary skills to succeed. This is one of my biggest concerns (being able to apply what is learned in the classroom in a work setting, and make that transition).

McGill's program is relatively new. However, it is quite small, as are the classes, which could also be beneficial for getting to network with faculty members and peers.

I wish more schools had similar webinar info sessions, it was really useful and gave a much better idea of the program.

Can anyone provide more comments about the programs at UofT? (other than class size which is apparently a bit large).

Edited by clhMPH

2 minutes ago, clhMPH said:

I am wondering the same for UofT (but for the MPH-epi stream). 

I was set on McGill, but after tuning in to the webinar held by UofT earlier this week, I am unsure. They really made it seem like they are a top school in terms of preparing students for careers and making sure they have the necessary skills to succeed. This is one of my biggest concerns (being able to apply what is learned in the classroom in a work setting, and make that transition).

McGill's program is relatively new. However, it is quite small, as are the classes, which could also be beneficial for getting to network with faculty members and peers.

Can anyone provide more comments about the programs at UofT? (other than class size which is apparently a bit large).

Also, does anyone have any more comments about what they thought of the webinar at UofT?

On 5/9/2016 at 10:50 AM, chezismael said:

U of T's Health Promotion class this year is 45? That's unusually low, isn't it?

I don't know the size of the health promo program.  The Epi program is 45 though. I think thats about average if not a bit larger than previous years

2 hours ago, bow ties are cool said:

I think being waitlisted is slowly driving me insane, I wish they would give out ranks or something. 

I agree! 

On April 7, 2016 at 10:56 PM, sillybird said:

We've got similar stories actually, cept I'm from ontario. Also did my undergrad at McGill, political science and international development though. In Canada it's only McGill and UofT. I was pretty insistent on going abroad for my masters so I applied to several schools in Europe (Imperial College London, UCL, Copenhagen, Lund). But the more I look at it, the smarter it seems to stick to McGill/UofT for exactly the same reasons you listed. Being more familiar with the system and challenging yourself off of an established springboard rather than starting from scratch. Not to mention the crazy financial strain of setting up in a foreign country. The north american programs also seem to be much more quantitative, and that's what I'm looking for. I guess we'll have to see what happens at crunch time. 

Have you heard back from UofT?

I was set on McGill, but after the online information session last week, I'm actually leaning towards UofT now...I wanted to know what you thought of the program/info session if you participated.

Thanks!

On 4/5/2016 at 2:06 AM, aceofhearts said:

Did anyone apply to Uvictoria? Did they hear anything yet? 

I heard back in late March! Did you hear back yet?

Do you know anything about the program?

3 hours ago, clhMPH said:

Have you heard back from UofT?

I was set on McGill, but after the online information session last week, I'm actually leaning towards UofT now...I wanted to know what you thought of the program/info session if you participated.

Thanks!

I actually didn't get into UofT! Or at least I haven't been waitlisted or gotten any news at all, which is pretty much the same thing. I'm not too surprised since I didn't technically fulfil the stats requirement. I participated in the webinar together with a friend of mine though and I think you'd be smart leaning towards UofT too. They've just got way deeper pockets and that's really important for grad school research funding and quality of profs. Plus, they seem to really push for helping grads with jobs post-MPH.

I did however put a bunch of effort into speaking with alumni for McGill and several of the faculty/profs in person, and since they're smaller, there's a lot more flexibility in the program and you'd really be able to customize your experience and develop useful relationships with the profs. I'm sure you're well aware of this already, but McGill's program's just a lot more tight-knit and personal (all of this is way more wishy washy compared to UofT's guarantee for career preparation though). All this said, I think UofT's better on paper, but if you put the effort and heart into it, I think it'd be easier to get more out of McGill and make it your own. (Btw, both McGill and UofT have super solid foundations in quantitative research methodology and epi; I don't think the quality of the actual study material itself is a deal breaker.)

Anyway, those are my thoughts, but I have zero authority on this really.

Just as a p.s. I'll be going to Imperial College London in the fall, and congrats on everything! It's a good dilemma to have, feel free to update when you decide!

2 hours ago, sillybird said:

I actually didn't get into UofT! Or at least I haven't been waitlisted or gotten any news at all, which is pretty much the same thing. I'm not too surprised since I didn't technically fulfil the stats requirement. I participated in the webinar together with a friend of mine though and I think you'd be smart leaning towards UofT too. They've just got way deeper pockets and that's really important for grad school research funding and quality of profs. Plus, they seem to really push for helping grads with jobs post-MPH.

I did however put a bunch of effort into speaking with alumni for McGill and several of the faculty/profs in person, and since they're smaller, there's a lot more flexibility in the program and you'd really be able to customize your experience and develop useful relationships with the profs. I'm sure you're well aware of this already, but McGill's program's just a lot more tight-knit and personal (all of this is way more wishy washy compared to UofT's guarantee for career preparation though). All this said, I think UofT's better on paper, but if you put the effort and heart into it, I think it'd be easier to get more out of McGill and make it your own. (Btw, both McGill and UofT have super solid foundations in quantitative research methodology and epi; I don't think the quality of the actual study material itself is a deal breaker.)

Anyway, those are my thoughts, but I have zero authority on this really.

Just as a p.s. I'll be going to Imperial College London in the fall, and congrats on everything! It's a good dilemma to have, feel free to update when you decide!

Thanks for your input. I couldn't agree more with everything you said. It's great to know that other people have the same impressions/are getting the same vibes about different programs. 

The schools are definitely comparable in terms of the quality of the program, quantitative and research emphasis, etc. I definitely feel McGill has a very close-knit program, and have heard this from several graduate students who are currently studying in the program. Their class size is also quite small, at a maximum of 50 for core classes and much smaller for electives. These things make McGill very appealing for networking and getting to know fellow students and faculty. I feel like the environment would be very welcoming and the faculty members and administration are extremely helpful (I got this sense throughout the application procedure...and much more so than for UofT). 

UofT, on the other hand, has much larger class sizes. I emailed them about the numbers and they said that for core classes there would be a minimum of 50 students and that we could expect much higher numbers. However, their info session really made it seem like there are numerous networking opportunities, and that there are lots of opportunities for getting feedback from profs on assignments. I feel these things could compensate for their larger class size. They also have the option for a second practicum, which is great. After speaking with students from McGill, a few of them had mentioned that some people had a hard time securing a practicum, and many were not satisfied with their practicum experience. This is a major concern for me since the practicum is such a crucial component to the degree. I feel like at UofT, this won't be an issue because of how established the program is. Overall, UofT seems very flexible in terms of the course options and additional practicum option for the second year of studies. 

It's a tough decision, and because I now know so much about UofT's program, it's difficult to compare it to McGill's, which I know much less about. But ultimately, for me, it's about which program is going to equip me with the best skillset for working and open as many doors as possible for the future. After the info session, I feel like UofT will, where as with McGill, there are more uncertainties.

I emailed the MPH alumni at UofT because I haven't been able to speak with any students about their experience. Hopefully they can get me in touch with someone! I'm also going to visit the campus and city soon, and am hoping this will also help me make my decision.

Congratulations on your acceptance, that is great news! Best of luck! 

Edited by clhMPH

has anyone accepted into U of T been emailed the recorded webinar? 

i couldn't watch it online on either days so I emailed them and they said they would email the link.., but haven't gotten anything.  

14 hours ago, mphopeful94 said:

has anyone accepted into U of T been emailed the recorded webinar? 

i couldn't watch it online on either days so I emailed them and they said they would email the link.., but haven't gotten anything.  

Hey, I was waitlisted but was told that they don't record the webinars when I couldn't attend either session. So this information is new.... 

13 hours ago, epihepok said:

Hey, I was waitlisted but was told that they don't record the webinars when I couldn't attend either session. So this information is new.... 

I guess they just send it to those accepted? in the email they said: "once recorded, this will be sent to all successful applicants" 

Hello, 

Long time follower, first time poster here! I just wanted to update anyone looking to this forum for updates that I was on the waiting list for UOFT's SBHS program and I received a recommendation for admission today at 3:30pm :)! 

If you're on the waiting list hang in there! You're maybe next, wishing you all luck!!

To anyone enrolling this September, EXCITED to see you all there :D!!

On May 18, 2016 at 4:52 PM, mphopeful94 said:

I guess they just send it to those accepted? in the email they said: "once recorded, this will be sent to all successful applicants" 

I attended the session for SBHS and got the recorder webinar about a week later (actually a PowerPoint). I'm also wait listed and haven't heard back. Even if I do get off the wait list, I will turn down the offer because I got an offer of admission (with scholarship) to Mac's global health program on Friday! I'm about to start a full time job related to healthcare in a few days so it is a tough decision between a masters and good money. My future comes down to a *cough* test in a few months time, but Global Health will provide me with some really great experiences I don't want to pass up so...I'll likely accept. Anybody else get accepted? How many scholarships do they give out? Ah so exciting! Best of luck to everyone :)

On May 19, 2016 at 8:32 PM, SocEquitylearner said:

Hello, 

Long time follower, first time poster here! I just wanted to update anyone looking to this forum for updates that I was on the waiting list for UOFT's SBHS program and I received a recommendation for admission today at 3:30pm :)! 

If you're on the waiting list hang in there! You're maybe next, wishing you all luck!!

To anyone enrolling this September, EXCITED to see you all there :D!!

Congratulations !!! That's awesome. I'm currently on the waiting list so I'm wondering what kind of stats they are looking for. Could you pls share you gpa, experience, volunteering etc, if you're comfortable with sharing?