NY/NJ Fall 2016

@flapjackal Congrats on Montclair!! I still haven't heard from Montclair, so guessing waitlist or rejected. Feel the same way about TC Columbia, too -- but at the same time, SUPER antsy! Especially if accepted (which not feeling confident on that haha), would need to apply for the DOE scholarship. Good luck! 

I've noticed on the results page schools like - St Johns, Molloy, and Adelphi have only sent out acceptances and waitlists. So am I jumping to conclusions that if you haven't heard by now it could be a rejection??

I've only gotten rejections so far and am finding myself less hopeful everyday :(

I also received a call today for an interview at Molloy in April! I believe it's a one on one interview, but I'm not sure. I hope there aren't any speech related questions cause I'm already nervous with personality based ones :unsure: Any info on this is appreciated :) 

2 hours ago, apple210 said:

Has anyone heard from Queens College?  I've been accepted at Adelphi and Hofstra, but still hoping to at least get an interview at Queens.

Any opinions on Adelphi vs. Hofstra?

I called Queens College today. I was told the process of admission selection is still on going.

Hey everyone! I got accepted to Molloy, Hofstra, Adelphi, and LIU post and i'm finding it extremely hard to get info on how these programs compare to each other, even just in terms of rankings. I was also wondering if any of these schools are better for people who are interested in hospital settings vs educational settings. Does anyone have any insight? thanks!

Edited by katiegaga

2 hours ago, alicecdstudent said:

Does anyone have opinions on Syracuse? I was accepted and I don't know if I should stay in California or move to Syracuse. 

Hello! I'm currently working in the Central New York area (about an hour from Syracuse) and graduated from a college that is also in the area. I am working as a Speech Therapist (NYS TSSLD) and have had experience in undergrad and currently with SLPs who obtained their masters from SU. All three women are very intelligent and great at what they do. They speak very highly of the program and feel as though they received a great education and experience. Gebbie clinic is well respected in the area and among professionals. There is an organization based out of Syracuse that does a lot of continuing education focused on both medical and educational topics. It is a great group for networking and learning things that you might not necessarily within a classroom and they have discounted prices for students.

I've never been to California, so I definitely can't compare Syracuse to where you are, but it is a fun little city! You get a taste of the city but also have suburban and very rural areas just a short drive away. Winter can be cold and snowy but the foliage in the fall and weather in the warmer months make up for it! After graduating this past May, I moved to the area on my own for my job. Your move would be far more significant but I can tell you that I feel safe and enjoy being here!

I will most likely be attending Syracuse in the fall and I consider myself lucky to have been admitted to the program! I don't have much insight but wanted to share what I did know. Congratulations and good luck making your decision!!

3 hours ago, avocadoslp said:

Hello! I'm currently working in the Central New York area (about an hour from Syracuse) and graduated from a college that is also in the area. I am working as a Speech Therapist (NYS TSSLD) and have had experience in undergrad and currently with SLPs who obtained their masters from SU. All three women are very intelligent and great at what they do. They speak very highly of the program and feel as though they received a great education and experience. Gebbie clinic is well respected in the area and among professionals. There is an organization based out of Syracuse that does a lot of continuing education focused on both medical and educational topics. It is a great group for networking and learning things that you might not necessarily within a classroom and they have discounted prices for students.

I've never been to California, so I definitely can't compare Syracuse to where you are, but it is a fun little city! You get a taste of the city but also have suburban and very rural areas just a short drive away. Winter can be cold and snowy but the foliage in the fall and weather in the warmer months make up for it! After graduating this past May, I moved to the area on my own for my job. Your move would be far more significant but I can tell you that I feel safe and enjoy being here!

I will most likely be attending Syracuse in the fall and I consider myself lucky to have been admitted to the program! I don't have much insight but wanted to share what I did know. Congratulations and good luck making your decision!!

Thank you, your insight is very helpful. The MS-SLP program at Syracuse seems to be an excellent program. I also love that Syracuse offers a medical externship, which is very hard to get in the programs in California. I have never been to central New York, so it was good to get some insight. It looks like I am going to be leaning towards choosing to attend Syracuse in the Fall. Congratulations to you too!!!

Edited by alicecdstudent

13 hours ago, alicecdstudent said:

Does anyone have opinions on Syracuse? I was accepted and I don't know if I should stay in California or move to Syracuse. 

I did my undergrad at Syracuse. The gebbie clinic is huge and unlike what I have seen at most schools who just have one or two treatment rooms. The program in undergrad was really good, but the teachers aren't the friendliest bunch. I personally hated the weather it was always sooo cold and windy so that will be a change from Cali. And being so far upstate with not much around you is a little depressing sometimes. But there's tons to do on campus. The campus is huge and sooo beautiful! Literally a building there that looks like hogwarts lol and of course all the sporting events are so much fun and you really feel like you belong to a great school :) good luck in your decision 

15 hours ago, tayjordann said:

Should I call St Johns and ask them where they are at in admissions? I saw that some people have heard back from them and others like me who have not.

I was thinking the same thing, please let me know if you do and what they say! 

On March 20, 2016 at 5:18 PM, nic22 said:

I have an interview with Iona in less than 2 weeks. Does anyone know what to expect or how many people they interview?

To those of you asking about Iona:

I'm a current grad student at Iona. I know how helpful everyone on this forum was when I was struggling and thought that all hope was lost, so I want to pay it forward. First I want to say--DO NOT GIVE UP! I almost threw in the towel myself last year after my second round of applying, but once I got in and started the program I couldn't imagine myself doing/pursuing anything else. If this is truly what you want, it WILL happen. Okay, onto the interview info:

First, our program director is probably the sweetest, most supportive, and accommodating person I've ever met. She is a gem and she will make you feel super comfortable during the interview--her positivity will ease your nerves. You will be in the interview with 2-3 other people in our smaller conference room. The interview will of course start with introductions, where you went to undergrad, why you enjoy/chose the field, Etc. Questions that are posed to the group are definitely more situational-based than personal. One question that I can say is a definite is naming components of ASHA's code of Ethics--be SUPER familiar with it and be able to name a few bullet points basically verbatim along with an explanation in your own words--along these same lines there is also a question along the lines of "if you were in this situation, what would you do" (ex: if someone other than the child's parent/guardian comes into the clinic and asks to access the child's files/documents, is this allowed?") and you will have to apply the code of ethics to some extent to your answer. In some cases, you may be able to talk your way through it, but they will definitely be impressed if you can apply that knowledge to it as well. There is another question about the important of evidence-based practice in our field in terms of treatment efficacy, etc. They are HUGE on EBP in our program (as they should be), so I would definitely brush up on that so you can speak to it on an elevated level. They ask you what 3 qualities you think are important for an SLP to possess as well. They also ask what you do in your spare time or to unwind (due to the stressful nature of the program). The whole interview process is quick overall, about 15-20ish minutes if that. I hope all of this information helps, and I truly wish you the best of luck at the interview and during this entire process! 

Has anyone had any luck talking to admissions at William Paterson? I know some people were accepted via email recently but I haven't heard anything. I tried emailing both the director and the general admissions email two weeks ago and never got a response. I called today and left a message but still nothing. Anyone have better luck?

3 hours ago, SLP2BE17 said:

To those of you asking about Iona:

I'm a current grad student at Iona. I know how helpful everyone on this forum was when I was struggling and thought that all hope was lost, so I want to pay it forward. First I want to say--DO NOT GIVE UP! I almost threw in the towel myself last year after my second round of applying, but once I got in and started the program I couldn't imagine myself doing/pursuing anything else. If this is truly what you want, it WILL happen. Okay, onto the interview info:

First, our program director is probably the sweetest, most supportive, and accommodating person I've ever met. She is a gem and she will make you feel super comfortable during the interview--her positivity will ease your nerves. You will be in the interview with 2-3 other people in our smaller conference room. The interview will of course start with introductions, where you went to undergrad, why you enjoy/chose the field, Etc. Questions that are posed to the group are definitely more situational-based than personal. One question that I can say is a definite is naming components of ASHA's code of Ethics--be SUPER familiar with it and be able to name a few bullet points basically verbatim along with an explanation in your own words--along these same lines there is also a question along the lines of "if you were in this situation, what would you do" (ex: if someone other than the child's parent/guardian comes into the clinic and asks to access the child's files/documents, is this allowed?") and you will have to apply the code of ethics to some extent to your answer. In some cases, you may be able to talk your way through it, but they will definitely be impressed if you can apply that knowledge to it as well. There is another question about the important of evidence-based practice in our field in terms of treatment efficacy, etc. They are HUGE on EBP in our program (as they should be), so I would definitely brush up on that so you can speak to it on an elevated level. They ask you what 3 qualities you think are important for an SLP to possess as well. They also ask what you do in your spare time or to unwind (due to the stressful nature of the program). The whole interview process is quick overall, about 15-20ish minutes if that. I hope all of this information helps, and I truly wish you the best of luck at the interview and during this entire process! 

Wow thank you so much!! That was so helpful and I truly appreciate that! Do you know by any chance how many they interview and how many they accept after interviews? I'm super curious because I have no acceptances yet, just 2 waitlists so I'm super anxious and nervous and truly praying I get into this program! Thank you SOOO much!!

56 minutes ago, nic22 said:

Wow thank you so much!! That was so helpful and I truly appreciate that! Do you know by any chance how many they interview and how many they accept after interviews? I'm super curious because I have no acceptances yet, just 2 waitlists so I'm super anxious and nervous and truly praying I get into this program! Thank you SOOO much!!

I'm not sure how many they interview, but I can tell you that the target cohort size is 25 people if that helps at all. Just be yourself during the interview and everything will be fine! :) 

For those waiting to hear from Stockton University, final decisions will be made by faculty members by March 25th. Letters should be mailed out soon after that. Good luck to all of those who applied!

13 hours ago, Arcanelady27 said:

Did anyone else who applied to Queens just get a confirmation email that their application is complete? 

My application was complete in January. Why would I just now get a confirmation?

I also received the confirmation email from Queens yesterday, I thought it might mean they are now looking at my application, but based on comments from others, it seems they are done interviewing.  I assume I will receive a rejection in the mail in the next few days. Disappointing, I thought I might get an interview.

7 minutes ago, apple210 said:

I also received the confirmation email from Queens yesterday, I thought it might mean they are now looking at my application, but based on comments from others, it seems they are done interviewing.  I assume I will receive a rejection in the mail in the next few days. Disappointing, I thought I might get an interview.

I thought the same thing. It is very misleading.