WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

43 minutes ago, bruin228 said:

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. :)

I envy your attitude gingin haha, you always seem so positive. 

I am largely a positive and optimistic person! But I do know the value of a good cry and being sad, too. Just feel out your emotions, let it out, but don't let it hold you down. *more hugs*

21 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I second this notion. I hope to meet gingin some day.

Aw shucks! You guys are really the sweetest! I'm so happy to have such great friends here on grad cafe... I would love to meet you, too, bunny, along with everyone else here!! 

20 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

I am largely a positive and optimistic person! But I do know the value of a good cry and being sad, too. Just feel out your emotions, let it out, but don't let it hold you down. *more hugs*

I had one of those tonight.  A good cry that is.  Second, or maybe third time this week.  It's not just about being nervous waiting for the decisions.  It's the unsympathetic teacher who doesn't understand why I can't just be finished with my final project for the incomplete I took last summer.  It's still feeling crappy all the time, still fighting with my health.  It's that my 98 year old grandmother who I love dearly and am very close to is showing signs of early dementia and apparently suffered one or more TIAs (mini-strokes) in the recent past, which probably was the reason she got in that car accident a couple of weeks ago.  It's trying to be in charge of planning our wedding with all of this going on.  And feeling guilty and ashamed that I can't easily handle it like I should be doing.

Anyway, thanks for your positivity @gingin6789.  You're awesome and we're all glad you're here.

Edited by SLPgradstudent

7 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

I had one of those tonight.  A good cry that is.  Second, or maybe third time this week.  It's not just about being nervous waiting for the decisions.  It's the unsympathetic teacher who doesn't understand why I can't just be finished with my final project for the incomplete I took last summer.  It's still feeling crappy all the time, fighting with my health.  It's that my 98 year old grandmother who I love dearly and am very close to is showing signs of early dementia and apparently suffered one or more TIAs (mini-strokes) in the recent past.  It's trying to be in charge of planning our wedding with all of this going on.  And feeling guilty and ashamed that I can't easily handle it like I should be doing.

Anyway, thanks for your positivity @gingin6789.  You're awesome and we're all glad you're here.

All of that sounds very overwhelming,  SLP... I'm glad you had those good cries, honestly! 

I can especially sympathize with the health problems and your grandma's health...it's awful cause it feels like it'll never end! 

I just remember having teachers who didn't understand why I couldn't just do work at home while sick. They just didn't get it! It was so entirely frustrating! 

Have you ever read the spoon theory? It's not a theory in the traditional sense, but it's a great way to conceptualize what living with a chronic illness is like... It's super useful and I actually had a good cry after reading it for the first time because it was just so spot on!! 

I hope that helps somehow. If you would like to talk by PM, too, I'm here <3 

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

All of that sounds very overwhelming,  SLP... I'm glad you had those good cries, honestly! 

I can especially sympathize with the health problems and your grandma's health...it's awful cause it feels like it'll never end! 

I just remember having teachers who didn't understand why I couldn't just do work at home while sick. They just didn't get it! It was so entirely frustrating! 

Have you ever read the spoon theory? It's not a theory in the traditional sense, but it's a great way to conceptualize what living with a chronic illness is like... It's super useful and I actually had a good cry after reading it for the first time because it was just so spot on!! 

I had never heard of this spoon theory. I do not have a chronic illness but I know people who do... and now I think I might understand it a little better. It also brought tears to my eyes... I simply can't imagine.

Also a man asked me if I was in Nirvana! 

On grad school related news, I got to pick my Masters research project yesterday and I'm so excited about it. It's way more advanced than I thought would be possible and I get to use the same software that game creators and animation studios use but apply it to ankle injuries. So much more exciting than the modelling of gymnastics techniques I thought I'd have to do!!

2 hours ago, piglet33 said:

Also a man asked me if I was in Nirvana! 

On grad school related news, I got to pick my Masters research project yesterday and I'm so excited about it. It's way more advanced than I thought would be possible and I get to use the same software that game creators and animation studios use but apply it to ankle injuries. So much more exciting than the modelling of gymnastics techniques I thought I'd have to do!!

Hahaha why did he ask you that? 

Ooooh yay!! That's so cool!! I felt the same way about my master's thesis topic! Except I am using statistics software, not awesome game making software :-P

How cool! You should keep us posted on how it goes! 

Edited by gingin6789

@gingin6789 I had my Nirvana band tee on, and when I was explaining it was a band - the older gentleman asked what it was - he thought it was my band. So cute. 

I haven't officially started yet, but one of the researchers at my university is in the brand new IOC-comissioned research centre for sports medicine and he's developed a novel tool for injury analysis and it looks like I might be able to work with him on that which is just mind-blowingly cool in my book. Isn't it awesome when you get all nerdy excited about research?! haha

1 hour ago, piglet33 said:

@gingin6789 I had my Nirvana band tee on, and when I was explaining it was a band - the older gentleman asked what it was - he thought it was my band. So cute. 

I haven't officially started yet, but one of the researchers at my university is in the brand new IOC-comissioned research centre for sports medicine and he's developed a novel tool for injury analysis and it looks like I might be able to work with him on that which is just mind-blowingly cool in my book. Isn't it awesome when you get all nerdy excited about research?! haha

That project sounds SO cool! I sprained my ankle like twenty times over four years, and then I went to physical therapy and now I don't faceplant while walking over flat surfaces. 

This past week I started a project in the math department developing a logic curriculum for first or second year undergraduates that explains why math proofs work. Specifically, when you explain: "Take an arbitrary element of a set. Show that it has these properties. Then, you conclude that everything in the set has this property." It takes a while to sink in why that works. So we're developing a curriculum that will give them lots of practice with this. I'm SUPER excited to start this project, because usually math peoples think I do a fuzzier version of what they do. But now I get to make them clean up their notation. Muhahahaha!

13 hours ago, SLPgradstudent said:

I had one of those tonight.  A good cry that is.  Second, or maybe third time this week.  It's not just about being nervous waiting for the decisions.  It's the unsympathetic teacher who doesn't understand why I can't just be finished with my final project for the incomplete I took last summer.  It's still feeling crappy all the time, still fighting with my health.  It's that my 98 year old grandmother who I love dearly and am very close to is showing signs of early dementia and apparently suffered one or more TIAs (mini-strokes) in the recent past, which probably was the reason she got in that car accident a couple of weeks ago.  It's trying to be in charge of planning our wedding with all of this going on.  And feeling guilty and ashamed that I can't easily handle it like I should be doing.

@gingin6789 had a lovely response to this, and I second looking up the spoon theory. There is only so much each of us can handle, and feeling guilty about not being able to move on; well, you have so many things going on in your life, and brushing them off easily would signal maybe a lack of empathy––clearly you care, with good reason, about each of these issues, and about the people around you. If there is anyone you can reach out to for support, be it your family, friends, and/or community on here, I hope you can do so. If you want to PM me to talk, or not, please know you've got people who are with you on this.

I am currently watching Jessica Jones at 2am to keep myself sane during Februgatory. If my program will follow last year's interview invitation emails, according to the results page they should be sending out invites on Monday. How to survive this weekend and how to survive this month if I don't get an interview invitation? Ahhhhhh!!!!

3 hours ago, piglet33 said:

That's actually really adorable! Reminds me of the time my grandpop heard us say something about Lady Gaga and he said, "Oh, Lady Lala?" It was just really cute! I love getting nerdy excited about research, too!

@Cat_Robutt that was also a lovely message <3 I'm so glad we're so supportive of each other on this forum :D

56 minutes ago, raaawr said:

I am currently watching Jessica Jones at 2am to keep myself sane during Februgatory. If my program will follow last year's interview invitation emails, according to the results page they should be sending out invites on Monday. How to survive this weekend and how to survive this month if I don't get an interview invitation? Ahhhhhh!!!!

Jessica Jones is pretty excellent! So many ups and downs. What part are you on? Over winter break I watched a lot of Buffy. 

19 hours ago, nevermind said:

Welcome to being a TA.

I'm over halfway at this point, and the writing has gotten significantly better. A few of the essays were actually outstanding. 

Maybe the first few essays were the worst of the batch.

44 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm over halfway at this point, and the writing has gotten significantly better. A few of the essays were actually outstanding. 

Maybe the first few essays were the worst of the batch.

Or maybe they were just so bad you now think the later ones are better? Either way, glad it's getting easier! 

In totally unrelated news, have you guys seen cookie the penguin? My friend was sad so I sent her this to cheer her up and now I'm in hysterical laughter too.  

22 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Or maybe they were just so bad you now think the later ones are better? Either way, glad it's getting easier! 

In totally unrelated news, have you guys seen cookie the penguin? My friend was sad so I sent her this to cheer her up and now I'm in hysterical laughter too.  

OMG I WANT COOKIE

Hey all! New to Grad Cafe. I'm so glad I found you all as I have been going nuts trying to just let the application process do its thing. I applied to 3 Clinical Mental Health Counseling Graduate programs. All of them had a 2/1/16 deadline. I realize I am only 5 days in here...

I've enjoyed Cab Sauvs, the occasional scotch, and some champagne after months of building these applications. But, it's pretty maddening waiting for ANY response...

16 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Thank you gingin, you really are so kind.  I am quite a bit feeling better today.

I've read something similar to spoon theory before, but I don't think I'd seen this particular piece.  It is really quite a good conceptualization of what it's like to like with a chronic illness or a disability (or both).  (And yes I cried again, but this time in a "oh my goodness, someone understands!  That is exactly what it's like!)  I am very grateful to have the support of my wonderful fiancé, as well as others in my life.  It is frustrating to me when teachers/other people who expect things from me don't get it.  I really don't want to be treated any differently than anyone else, but sometimes I do need something from them, such as an extension, and it can be really hard to ask for it.  I'm sorry that you've had to deal with your own health issues, but glad that it has helped to make you who you are now: the awesome, positive, optimistic, and supportive gingin!

15 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I had never heard of this spoon theory. I do not have a chronic illness but I know people who do... and now I think I might understand it a little better. It also brought tears to my eyes... I simply can't imagine.

As someone with a chronic illness and disability, I can say this.  I would never want anyone to have to experience what I've been through.  But I also have a desperate yearning to be understood.  Most of all by the people closest to me.  Those two feelings are constantly in conflict, but it does mean a lot to mean when people try to understand a little better.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@gingin6789 had a lovely response to this, and I second looking up the spoon theory. There is only so much each of us can handle, and feeling guilty about not being able to move on; well, you have so many things going on in your life, and brushing them off easily would signal maybe a lack of empathy––clearly you care, with good reason, about each of these issues, and about the people around you. If there is anyone you can reach out to for support, be it your family, friends, and/or community on here, I hope you can do so. If you want to PM me to talk, or not, please know you've got people who are with you on this.

Thank you Cat_Robutt.  I did look up spoon theory today, it's fantastic.  I am fortunate to have some great support from people in my life, for which I am so thankful.  And you guys are amazing too.  Thanks for putting up with my whining.  (At least I'm in the right thread, right? :P)  Thanks for being awesome people!

1 hour ago, piglet33 said:

One of the papers is good enough that I would have been satisfied if I wrote it myself, and I have exceptionally high standards for my own writing.

Also. OMG. Cookie is my hero. 

My husband was rejected to all 5 schools he applied to one year. The next he applied again and got into a fully funded doctorate program at Northwestern. He is graduating this June! It's not a reflection on you. It'll happen when it's supposed to happen. Have hope! 

38 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

Thank you gingin, you really are so kind.  I am quite a bit feeling better today.

I've read something similar to spoon theory before, but I don't think I'd seen this particular piece.  It is really quite a good conceptualization of what it's like to like with a chronic illness or a disability (or both).  (And yes I cried again, but this time in a "oh my goodness, someone understands!  That is exactly what it's like!)  I am very grateful to have the support of my wonderful fiancé, as well as others in my life.  It is frustrating to me when teachers/other people who expect things from me don't get it.  I really don't want to be treated any differently than anyone else, but sometimes I do need something from them, such as an extension, and it can be really hard to ask for it.  I'm sorry that you've had to deal with your own health issues, but glad that it has helped to make you who you are now: the awesome, positive, optimistic, and supportive gingin!

As someone with a chronic illness and disability, I can say this.  I would never want anyone to have to experience what I've been through.  But I also have a desperate yearning to be understood.  Most of all by the people closest to me.  Those two feelings are constantly in conflict, but it does mean a lot to mean when people try to understand a little better.  Thank you.

I'm so glad today is a better day (with more spoons!)! I'm also glad you enjoyed the spoon theory!! And thank you for your sympathy about my health issues ... you're right, it has shaped who I am! Spoonie whining ahead: I had surgery two months ago to help with my health issues, and guess what? I still was awoken by pain TWICE last night. I tried brushing it off the first time and going back to sleep, but nope! It woke me up out of my sleep again! So I had to take a pain pill for it, which I haaaaaaaaaaate. I hate turning to them for relief, and I hate using them up because I'm always worried that, if I call for a refill, they'll be like "drug seeker!" even though I got a prescription for 20 like three months ago, and it was prescribed for "as needed every 4-6 hours" and I STILL have some left. So whatever. Either way, pain drives me crazy, and OTC meds can't touch it. But there are always heating pads and tea to help too.

I totally agree about wanting people to NEVER go through it, but just to understand! Besides folks in high school not believing me, everyone since then (so far) has been super understanding, which is great!

@youthfulwinter welcome!!! So nice to have you with us!!

@piglet33 OMG COOKIE!!!!! THIS IS AMAZING!!! Hahaha thank you for that video!!!!