WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

I'm 95% sure I won't be hearing back from any programs today. Less time to whine, more time to wine?

At least I got the FAFSA processed this week, and it looks like some programs have received it on their end as well.

Based off of last year, I think the committee for my top choice program is meeting today.

Also, am I supposed to be worrying about the FAFSA right now if I'm applying for funded PhD programs? I hadn't even thought of that!

2 hours ago, pterosaur said:

Based off of last year, I think the committee for my top choice program is meeting today.

Also, am I supposed to be worrying about the FAFSA right now if I'm applying for funded PhD programs? I hadn't even thought of that!

It's probably a good idea--I'm also hoping for funding, but a few programs I applied to recommended that you file the FAFSA anyway because there's no downside (if you get funded, it won't matter; if you don't, it's good to have a backup).

Wow, sorry to alarm people! Haha. I just know from my experiences working for a university that a lot of faculty committees meet on Fridays. And since we're in decision-ing season just after a lot of deadlines, it makes sense. Plus, schools on the semester system are likely to be at a point when things are a little slower/less hectic, so this indeed would be a GREAT day to meet.

I can't decide if I want to look at my target school's web site to see if they had a snow day.

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

Did my daily applications check in hopes of any status change.

Nope.

Back to life as usual.

I usually check it in the morning and at about 7 p.m. (For west coast schools to make changes)...I'm really losing steam here. As much as I'd really love to be able to write, "admitted to my top choice!!!!" ...really, at this point, I just want to know so I can move on with my life. Until then, I'm going back to other hobbies and only checking TGC at work. :)

Edited by nevermind

2 minutes ago, nevermind said:

I usually check it in the morning and at about 7 p.m. (For west coast schools to make changes)...I'm really losing steam here. As much as I'd really love to be able to write, "admitted to my top choice!!!!" ...really, at this point, I just want to know so I can move on with my life. Until then, I'm going back to other hobbies and only checking TGC at work. :)

I know exactly what you mean. :D 

Although checking isn't completely in vain for me. RPI' STS results came out around this time last year. OU has results in early to mid February. I have a fear that the most selective program I applied to will be the last I hear from (Cornell STS). They haven't made decisions well into March some years past.

FEBURGATORY, I CAN'T. How am I supposed to handle 11 more hours of today?? I heard through the grapevine that my top choice program was supposed to respond this week, and "this week" is rapidly ending! 

Checking my application statuses every day reminds me of final grades in undergrad--my university always gave explicit dates and times when grades would be rolled in, so you knew nothing was going to appear on your transcript until December 20 at 4pm, or the 23rd at 4pm, etc. I still checked literally every day because I thought I'd catch them rolling grades in early. It never happened, but I did it all 4 years.

Now I'm doing it again, knowing that none of my remaining programs are going to give any decisions until the 15th at the earliest and yet checking every day. Maybe I'll catch them deciding early. :-P

46 minutes ago, Neist said:

Did my daily applications check in hopes of any status change.

Nope.

Back to life as usual.

I feel ya buddy I feel ya. And I know the adcomms of my california school is meeting today. Eeeepp.

I'm making Texas burgers to distract myself then drinking some vino later so I can sleep through any news.

14 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

I'm making Texas burgers to distract myself then drinking some vino later so I can sleep through any news.

Mmm. Burger.

I think I'll go to happy hour after work, get a burger, and grade a giant stack of papers.

Sounds like bliss.

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

Mmm. Burger.

I think I'll go to happy hour after work, get a burger, and grade a giant stack of papers.

Sounds like bliss.

Ugh that sounds like the perfect dinner plan!! Jealous!

15 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Yesterday in a text conversation with my mom... I sent a text that said "Integrals are where it's at."

It was at that moment that I was able to perfectly summarize my small social life and lame interests.  

Pfft, who needs a social life when you have a cat?  And your interests aren't lame!

Edited by SLPgradstudent

To pass the time and help me stay sane(ish), I updated my profile pic just now.  It's my mantra in life, but also to get me through Februgatory! I'm hoping it'll help with that impostor syndrome stuff.  What do you guys think?

Edited by SLPgradstudent

5 hours ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Well, week one of Februgatory is at a close. I'm wondering if a flurry of activity will happen today, as Friday is a big committee meeting day a lot of places, or if Monday will see a deluge.

I'm going to pretend nothing will happen until Monday. This weekend will be like waiting for that climb up the steps to the gallows...

I'm now panicking even more. I know it wasn't your intent, but it seems just plausible enough to keep me glued to my email till 7 my time. Or maybe I'll nap for 5 hours. I can do that too.

There have been an absolute flurry of posts for my school (none for my dept but a ton for math, polisci, econ, art, etc). I've started actually looking to see what day their apps were due. Most were still due early to mid Dec so I'm feeling kind of okay. But if I start seeing acceptances from other early Jan programs... :(

49 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Yesterday in a text conversation with my mom... I sent a text that said "Integrals are where it's at."

It was at that moment that I was able to perfectly summarize my small social life and lame interests.  

Oh this is far too accurate. I realised half my inside jokes with my friends are nerd related. 

Also @rhombusbombus that is not okay! To the ice creamery being closed or the fact that they made you talk to them by yourself!!!

@Neist mmmm happy hour! My burger hit the spot. So good. Enjoy yours later!

32 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

To pass the time and help me stay sane(ish), I updated my profile pic just now.  It's my mantra in life, but also to get me through Februgatory! I'm hoping it'll help with that impostor syndrome stuff.  What do you guys think?

I really like this. We all are good enough, regardless of how this process ends up.  As my friend says "All the students and faculty in my lab try so many times for grants and other opportunities. Trying multiple times is just a part of the process, even if no one talks about it. It's what makes them successful."

'Forever onward' is the quote I find myself drawn to. No matter what happens, you keep going onward with the passage of time. Action or inaction, life goes on. 

12 minutes ago, Foreveronward said:

I'm now panicking even more. I know it wasn't your intent, but it seems just plausible enough to keep me glued to my email till 7 my time. Or maybe I'll nap for 5 hours. I can do that too.

There have been an absolute flurry of posts for my school (none for my dept but a ton for math, polisci, econ, art, etc). I've started actually looking to see what day their apps were due. Most were still due early to mid Dec so I'm feeling kind of okay. But if I start seeing acceptances from other early Jan programs... :(

Aw, @Foreveronward! :( Take a nice nap, a walk, watch some TV. I'm sorry!

ETA: Crap, I just made the mistake of checking my school for other departments, and the results are indeed rolling in, just not from my program. ARGH! I am totally freaking out.

Edited by The Interdisciplinarian
Clarification

16 minutes ago, Foreveronward said:

I really like this. We all are good enough, regardless of how this process ends up.  As my friend says "All the students and faculty in my lab try so many times for grants and other opportunities. Trying multiple times is just a part of the process, even if no one talks about it. It's what makes them successful."

'Forever onward' is the quote I find myself drawn to. No matter what happens, you keep going onward with the passage of time. Action or inaction, life goes on. 

I really like that @Foreveronward!  And yes, we are all good enough, whether we get into all 12 (or more) programs we've applied to, or none (hopefully not!)  But really, not getting into grad school does not make us an less valuable as individuals.  We are already good enough.

49 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

ETA: Crap, I just made the mistake of checking my school for other departments, and the results are indeed rolling in, just not from my program. ARGH! I am totally freaking out.

As long as one of us haven't heard anything yet, I think it'll be fine. And I haven't heard anything yet, and I assume you haven't. :)