WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just now, Justwaitingforneuro said:

Haha "waves" as in "I am waving". Cool, what do you study?

Yes I am Swiss.

I study Computational Biology at ETH. First lived in Zurich and moved to DBSSE in Basel for thesis. What about you?

2 minutes ago, Yav Friendly said:

I study Computational Biology at ETH. First lived in Zurich and moved to DBSSE in Basel for thesis. What about you?

ETH, impressive!

Basel medschool. Lived here for most of my life.

Edited by Justwaitingforneuro
punctuation

Just now, Yav Friendly said:

Cool. So you are from Basel then? How is the application going?

Yes, Basel citizen. I am still waiting... Should hear back either for an interview or get rejected this week, since interviews are 11th and 12th of February according to the course website. How is yours going?

How's everyone hanging in there with the wait? 

The one (1) entry for my top choice/program on the results board (that's from all the way back in 2008, I might add) quoted February 4th as the day they were notified. So basically I'm all kinds of stressed today. 

To relax a little, my friend and I are going to see the Vagina Monologues (my university does them every year) and go for milkshakes and greasy diner food afterwards. I'm not yet sure if this will actually be a good enough distraction, but it'll be fun nonetheless. 

24 minutes ago, Yav Friendly said:

What about Donald Trump?

All politicians bite. It will actually really depend on what part of America you are going to, as to what kind of people will be there. I think a lot of international people (not necessarily students) don't always realize just how large and diverse America is. They all see us as fat, bumbling, gun loving, burger eating, idiots. But The north, south, midwest, west coast... very different mindsets and people. Silicon valley and the chicago ghetto are very different.

I live in Houston right now... and a lot of people think "Texas" = guns, cows, religious conservatives, etc. But it's actually really liberal here. Lots of diversity, decent sized LGBTQ (add whatever other letters are there now) community, etc. Some Americans do indeed bite.... but there are also a lot of friendly open minded ones. 

12 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

All politicians bite. It will actually really depend on what part of America you are going to, as to what kind of people will be there. I think a lot of international people (not necessarily students) don't always realize just how large and diverse America is. They all see us as fat, bumbling, gun loving, burger eating, idiots. But The north, south, midwest, west coast... very different mindsets and people. Silicon valley and the chicago ghetto are very different.

I live in Houston right now... and a lot of people think "Texas" = guns, cows, religious conservatives, etc. But it's actually really liberal here. Lots of diversity, decent sized LGBTQ (add whatever other letters are there now) community, etc. Some Americans do indeed bite.... but there are also a lot of friendly open minded ones. 

As a foreigner who happen to into US politics but can only obtain information from CNN, NBC (and maybe FOX alright). I do find "liberal Texas" sounds weird. But I guess it is Houston.

19 minutes ago, Justwaitingforneuro said:

Yes, Basel citizen. I am still waiting... Should hear back either for an interview or get rejected this week, since interviews are 11th and 12th of February according to the course website. How is yours going?

Going to NYC on Monday and just got another interview in UPitts and waiting for the arrangements. Other than that I am waiting for MIT but that is basically day dreaming.

I haven't heard anything yet, but all of my friends in mathematics have heard from a bunch of schools. It's just a difference of field (I'm applying mostly philosophy and the earliest any of them should be released is like the 12th), but every time I go into the math department (which is daily) they ask if I've heard any good news yet. Like, there hasn't been any news, and that's fine. It's just making the waiting that much worse. 

Man guys, I've already emailed Cornell twice since I was admitted two days ago. I'm not even there yet and I'm sure they're already regretting admitting me :P

Update: they e-mailed me back and kindly reminded me that I am not the center of the universe, and told me to chill my butt. Sorry :P

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

49 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Man guys, I've already emailed Cornell twice since I was admitted two days ago. I'm not even there yet and I'm sure they're already regretting admitting me :P

I mean, maybe. But I have a couple friends who independently use the phrase "I'm obnoxious," and they're all really successful people. Probably for that reason? One girl was talking about feedback she got from some judges at a thing, and I was like "Wait. How did you get feedback? Those are secret ballots." And she was like "I'm obnoxious." And yeah. That's why she wins. B)

59 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Update: they e-mailed me back and kindly reminded me that I am not the center of the universe, and told me to chill my butt. Sorry :P

What did you say? "Dear Madam/Sir, Am I the center of the Cornell Universe?"

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

This made me laugh. Poor Pink Fuzzy Bunny. I don't know what information you're asking for specifically but I'm sure it will all work itself out and you'll be able to make your decision by the April 15th deadline. :) Plus, I'm sure everyone else is emailing them very similar things. 

9 minutes ago, raaawr said:

I am going crazy waiting for results right now. The nearer it is to march,the more I feel like I am getting rejected. ??

I feel you! All I have is a rejection and three pending applications, so I'm prettttttttttttty nervous. Like, going to school more is all I'm qualified for; I'm not ready for a grown-up job yet!

Tired of waiting, I decided to watch " The Intern" (2015) with my favorite snack. Best choice for me yesterday, even though tomorrow I will have a test and a paper to submit. Ahhh... Is this the usual last semester phenomenon? :D

1 hour ago, piglet33 said:

It's still only first week in February. We have plenty of time...

Yup. Although, I have considered emailing programs asking when they typically make decisions, just to touch base. I haven't contacted some of these programs in months, so it's not as if I'm pestering anyone. However, another part of me says to leave it alone and wallow in my boredom.

I'm guessing I'll probably send a friendly query in a few weeks if there's still no word on the results page or via email.