WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just got my Penn State Visit Itinerary!

Good note: they're getting us waffles!!

Angsty note: 8 interviews in one day. EIGHT!!! I'm about to be shuffled around like a deck of uno cards

I just want one more acceptance to round out my grad school triumvirate! Please realize that I am the chosen one!

1 minute ago, piglet33 said:

hey @talkingscop another brit here :D i'm loving my tea through this too. tea and crumpets about 4pm when american schools on both coasts are up and running always works nicely! 

Mmm. Tea and crumpets sounds goood! I'm more of an (English) muffins girl myself most of the time, though currently it's brioche loaf keeping me going (I actually just finished a plate as I typed). I haven't had a cuppa for at least half an hour now, so I think I'll poddle off and make myself a brew. Thanks for the welcome to the forum :)

1 minute ago, rhombusbombus said:

Just got my Penn State Visit Itinerary!

Good note: they're getting us waffles!!

Angsty note: 8 interviews in one day. EIGHT!!! I'm about to be shuffled around like a deck of uno cards

I just want one more acceptance to round out my grad school triumvirate! Please realize that I am the chosen one!

Mmmmm waffles! have fun being that card deck...

@talkingscop make us a cuppa? my kitchen is currently being taken over by my housemate and I can't physically get in the door to make a tea :(

3 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

@talkingscop make us a cuppa? my kitchen is currently being taken over by my housemate and I can't physically get in the door to make a tea :(

Noooooooooo! Calamity! I dedicate my mug of English Breakfast to you in this your time of distress. Cheers! ;)

Something really cute: I got my official acceptance letter to Delaware via website today (phone notification came Thursday), and when I clicked the link to the letter, the letter displayed on the screen as virtual confetti poured down as well! It was so cute! I'm always saying *throws confetti* in this and other threads, and I got some confetti from Delaware! So cute! The confetti was in the school colors, too! 

2 hours ago, raaawr said:

lol! make sure you get good natural light! haha!

Sometimes I also feel that my subconscious is sassier than me in real life too. lol! I'm a heavy sleeper so I don't have a lot of lucid dreams unless I drink coffee a few hours before bedtime or I'm super anxious about something and can't stop thinking about it. haha!

I'm hoping I won't end up seeing slenderman on my skype interview if I get invited to an interview. lol!

Hey, if Slendy-wendy is on your interview, it means he thinks you're a qualified candidate for the program, so he won't want to do you any harm! He probably just wants a hug! 

4 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Something really cute: I got my official acceptance letter to Delaware via website today (phone notification came Thursday), and when I clicked the link to the letter, the letter displayed on the screen as virtual confetti poured down as well! It was so cute! I'm always saying *throws confetti* in this and other threads, and I got some confetti from Delaware! So cute! The confetti was in the school colors, too! 

University of Chicago had the same thing! It was very cute. I reopened my admission letter 4 times to see it.

1 minute ago, RCtheSS said:

University of Chicago had the same thing! It was very cute. I reopened my admission letter 4 times to see it.

Omg isn't it just so much fun to watch?? I love it!! I'm glad you got to experience it, too! I hope I get another letter like that! 

3 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Omg isn't it just so much fun to watch?? I love it!! I'm glad you got to experience it, too! I hope I get another letter like that! 

Imagine if schools still sent decisions via snail mail and just glitter bombed all the people they accepted. I don't know if I would be more excited or incredibly annoyed by that.

2 minutes ago, Kath! said:

Imagine if schools still sent decisions via snail mail and just glitter bombed all the people they accepted. I don't know if I would be more excited or incredibly annoyed by that.

Hahaha I still think that would be amazing! I'd find glitter in the carpet or in the corner of a bookshelf years later and just smile at the memory of an acceptance! 

35 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Ooooh! I'd love to get some confetti. :D

Congratulations! 

7 minutes ago, ancientqueen said:

Ooooh! I'd love to get some confetti. :D

Congratulations! 

Be on the lookout!! Maybe one (or more!) of the programs you get accepted to will do the same thing your acceptance letter! If that happens, be sure to tell us you got some confetti! 

For now *throws confetti for you*!! 

Thank you!! I truly appreciate your congrats!! :-)

Just now, sjoh197 said:

I'm going to make GF Belgian waffles and put a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top for dessert tonight. Mmmm

oooohhh what recipe do you use? I'm experimenting with GF mixes at the minute (recently diagnosed celiac). Tomorrow is burger buns

2 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

oooohhh what recipe do you use? I'm experimenting with GF mixes at the minute (recently diagnosed celiac). Tomorrow is burger buns

So I have tried at least 20 different waffle/pancake recipes over the years and my favorite is actually the boxed buttermilk waffle mix at trader joes (trader joes brand).

I have a whole pinterest page of awesome recipes, including these super delicious cinnamon sugar donut muffins.

17 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

The *best* GF mixes I've found are Pamela's GF mixes (http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/baking-mixes/pamelas-baking-pancake-mix/) or King Arthur's (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/gluten-free-baking-mix). I can't eat delicious, delicious gluten either.  :-/

Waffles = yum! Alas, I have maple syrup in my cupboard but no ingredients to make anything I might drizzle it on. And it's a bit late here in London for grocery runs...

Also, I'm really wishing I'd decided to stop just lurking here sooner. 1) Because you are lots of lovely people and it's all warm and snuggly and supportive, and 2) because no sooner had I de-cloaked myself to complain about not having heard anything, I received an interview invitation from one of my top choices! If only I'd joined in here earlier..! :D

So thanks all for precipitating that bit of good news for me, and congrats to everyone who's had something to celebrate so far!

1 minute ago, talkingscop said:

Waffles = yum! Alas, I have maple syrup in my cupboard but no ingredients to make anything I might drizzle it on. And it's a bit late here in London for grocery runs...

Also, I'm really wishing I'd decided to stop just lurking here sooner. 1) Because you are lots of lovely people and it's all warm and snuggly and supportive, and 2) because no sooner had I de-cloaked myself to complain about not having heard anything, I received an interview invitation from one of my top choices! If only I'd joined in here earlier..! :D

So thanks all for precipitating that bit of good news for me, and congrats to everyone who's had something to celebrate so far!

Yay for you! :)

@rhombusbombus Creamery ice cream and waffles are heaven, okay? Acceptances for PSU in my department haven't gone out yet, but I can say from experience that waffles and the ice cream there are amazing. The bakery also makes good cake. Yes, I did gain weight during time I spent there, why do you ask? But seriously, congrats on the visit. They make things seem so much more tangible. 

Today I got an email from NYMC talking about a applicant portal, and when I click the link in the email, I get a 404. It's a Future Student Portal. I can't access it. And I'm freaking out. I know it's nothing more than a batch email, but what if there's information there? What if I can obsessively check the status of my application forty seven to sixty three times a day? What if I'm missing some tiny detail? 

The thing is, I don't want to email the contact, because I haven't yet discerned how to best word, "The links are  dead in your email!!!!" in a reply. 

2 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

Social tree-stumps unite! (I'm somewhat convinced that interviews, despite being the "last" stage, aren't ultimately weighted that heavily for the schools I interviewed with...because, oh, they were bad. Likes, ums, awkward silences, and Well, I....don't know, really-s, everywhere. When my last interviewer sent me an email about my being accepted, he only mentioned being excited about my writing sample and statement--interview glossed entirely over. Hahaha. Worked in my favor, I suppose....)

I've come to the same conclusion as well. My one interview was full of "I don't know"s, "uhhhh"s and staring at my feet. I was surprised they didn't add me to a "black list" of grad school students to never accept and email it around the country.