WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I hate you guys so much. My apartment building doesn't allow pets (as in, if they find a cat, they let it loose into the forest). So that's one of the biggest things I want to do when I'm in grad school, since I'm 1000000% a cat person. I just don't know that I'll be able to afford it, and I for sure know that a cat wouldn't like a teeny-tiny studio apartment :(

I'm still not sure if I'm adult enough to have a cat. I'm thinking about having a fish in graduate school. :lol:

If I get accepted to gradschool I wish I could take even just one of my dogs with me but it's unlikely cause I would most likely live on campus and I'd have to move from a different country. I can't imagine leaving them for 2 years. my babies! lol!

@rhombusbombuswhat kind of dog do you have? :) Lucky you, you get to take your dog! I'm jealous! lol

As an aside: does anyone else feel like they are incapable of concentrating on normal tasks during this application process? Ugh. Suddenly sitting through classes seems painful. I wish every day was Sunday so I could spend a lot of time in bed drinking wine and watching Buffy.

Here's my sweet baby, Lyra. I share a small apartment with my boyfriend and she's more than comfortable. It can be done if the cat has a lazy AF and chill personality. You may have more issues with a rambunctious one in a small living space. I wish I could have a dog too though. :/ I am definitely more of a dog person. 

Anyway, my lunch menu is brie, crackers, and a Green Flash West Coast IPA. 

12487135_10153828649981798_6967760444759610632_o.jpg

3 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

As an aside: does anyone else feel like they are incapable of concentrating on normal tasks during this application process? Ugh. Suddenly sitting through classes seems painful. I wish every day was Sunday so I could spend a lot of time in bed drinking wine and watching Buffy.

I get you! Ugh! I've been too lazy to do anything lately. It's just, I think I placed all my faith in my future in my grad school application and if I don't pass I think I'm just lost. :/

3 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

Here's my sweet baby, Lyra. I share a small apartment with my boyfriend and she's more than comfortable. It can be done if the cat has a lazy AF and chill personality. You may have more issues with a rambunctious one in a small living space. I wish I could have a dog too though. :/ I am definitely more of a dog person. 

Anyway, my lunch menu is brie, crackers, and a Green Flash West Coast IPA. 

12487135_10153828649981798_6967760444759610632_o.jpg

What a cutie! :wub: I appreciate looking at cute cat pictures but I'm definitely a dog person through and through. lol

Omg guys, all these animal photos and I'm out of upvotes to give for the day :(

Your pups and kitties are sooooo cute!! As you can see in my user photo, I have a cocker spaniel! I also have a basset hound. They are both in my hometown though, away from me ... 

I don't have time to pick out a good enough photo of the pups here, but find me on instagram! I'm gingin6789 (surprisingly).

22 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Latte. The white kitty belly I was snuggling with earlier....

24126955954_56756f1fa3_m.jpg

awwww! i just want to rub that belly! lol!

19 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Omg guys, all these animal photos and I'm out of upvotes to give for the day :(

Your pups and kitties are sooooo cute!! As you can see in my user photo, I have a cocker spaniel! I also have a basset hound. They are both in my hometown though, away from me ... 

I don't have time to pick out a good enough photo of the pups here, but find me on instagram! I'm gingin6789 (surprisingly).

my instagram is filled with dog pics too. lol! if it's not food, it's dog. :lol:

I want to jump on this animal photo train! This is my kitten on the first day we had him. He's about 6 months old now, but I left after we'd only had him for a month, so this is how I remember him. Apparently he's huge now. He's a big baby and wants ALL YOUR ATTENTION.

Needless to say, I miss him like crazy.

11866431_10153542377247630_146010069549457161_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I hate you guys so much. My apartment building doesn't allow pets (as in, if they find a cat, they let it loose into the forest). So that's one of the biggest things I want to do when I'm in grad school, since I'm 1000000% a cat person. I just don't know that I'll be able to afford it, and I for sure know that a cat wouldn't like a teeny-tiny studio apartment :(

It depends on the cat! If you adopt one from a shelter (which you should do!) you could get an older one, since they tend to be more laid-back AND have far lower adoption rates than younger cats. Plus, the shelter workers can tell you a bit about each cat's personality, so they'll know who'd be a good fit for you. :)

WE DID IT, KIDS!

I just finished applying to all of my programs! Only took 6 months.

I'm trying not to put the cart way ahead of the horse but it's so hard not to. I've been mentally living in all of these places for months. I think that's the problem with applying to universities that you actually want to go to--you can only pick one. I've been upset because all of the people I've spoken to have been nice. My professor said "of course they're going to be nice, they're trying to court you!" but it makes it so much harder. I'm supposed to find out about another acceptance/rejection today, so we'll see.

Also, here are my dogs Mumford and Sun. We adopted them two years ago.

dtlIh3r.jpg

esZwZSh.jpg

2 minutes ago, Justwaitingforneuro said:

Sigh I tried to find a picture of the guinea pig I had as a kid but no luck. Well thanks for the cute animals :)

Does anyone know which the time frame every day is in which adcoms usually send out mails? 9-5 or can you get an email later or earlier in the day?

I think it's pretty much whenever they get around to it. We have to remember they have their own research / students / classes / (sometimes life outside academia) / etc. to attend to...which means, you could get a call/email from your POI later at night or an email early in the morning from a departmental secretary. It's going to be a surprise either way. 

Just now, nevermind said:

I think it's pretty much whenever they get around to it. We have to remember they have their own research / students / classes / (sometimes life outside academia) / etc. to attend to...which means, you could get a call/email from your POI later at night or an email early in the morning from a departmental secretary. It's going to be a surprise either way. 

Ahhh surprises, yay! I just hope it will be this week or the flight would get really expensive... Nevermind, just give me the interview, even if it is just the day before.

1 hour ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Well, it's the month I am supposed to find out. Could be anytime from today to the end of the month. Twenty-nine days of stress commences. Here's hoping I'm put out of my misery soon, one way or another.

I am so there with you! February is the month of reckoning...at least it's a short one! 

@gingin6789 I looked you up on insta (and followed you...) You look nothing like I had imagined in my head!!! Beautiful wedding dress though. If anyone's curious about my insta feel free to DM me - just don't want to put that identifying info out for anyone to see lol.

The rest of you...guys, really?!?! All the cats and the dogs! I desperately want a dog, and when I'm in grad school I think I'm going to try and foster for a shelter as it's uncertain as to whether I'll be able to stay in the US afterwards. @raaawr can I please borrow a dog?

Just now, piglet33 said:

I am so there with you! February is the month of reckoning...at least it's a short one! 

@gingin6789 I looked you up on insta (and followed you...) You look nothing like I had imagined in my head!!! Beautiful wedding dress though. If anyone's curious about my insta feel free to DM me - just don't want to put that identifying info out for anyone to see lol.

The rest of you...guys, really?!?! All the cats and the dogs! I desperately want a dog, and when I'm in grad school I think I'm going to try and foster for a shelter as it's uncertain as to whether I'll be able to stay in the US afterwards. @raaawr can I please borrow a dog?

Lol really?! How *did* you imagine me to look? And thanks! I got it at JC Penney's ... on sale, too ;) 

I also followed you!!