WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Literature at Duke, English everywhere else. I know I messed up the interview -- I was so (uncharacteristically) nervous that (I'm pretty sure) it came across like I hadn't even thought about my research; I actually was thinking of the opening of IJ after they hung up the line.  I want to work on post-digital textuality, and the program/faculty at Duke seem to be the best fit by leaps and bounds. I'd been hoping that they were no strangers to good candidates interviewing catastrophically, but the slow drip of waitlistings/acceptances has got me more or less convinced that optimism ain't for me. 

Okay. Yeah, mine was Lit. as well, and seemed to go about the same (except it was characteristically nervous for me; all interviews go just about like the beginning of IJ despite me having no problem with things like larger-scale public speaking or classroom discussion). We'll see though. I have a friend who also interviewed, who I think did a lot better than me, who also hasn't heard, so who knows. Let me know if you get any news, though.

1 hour ago, Neist said:

So, I'm killing time by grading papers for the class I'm a grader for.

I weep for the future. One student misspelled a major character's name four times. In 500 words. Ergh.

Yikes!

I'm also grading. I have 50 students in this section, and the professor's name (Zich) has been misspelled 9 different times so far. NINE!

4 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

Okay. Yeah, mine was Lit. as well, and seemed to go about the same (except it was characteristically nervous for me; all interviews go just about like the beginning of IJ despite me having no problem with things like larger-scale public speaking or classroom discussion). We'll see though. I have a friend who also interviewed, who I think did a lot better than me, who also hasn't heard, so who knows. Let me know if you get any news, though.

You bet, and likewise. Where else are you waiting to hear from? I got the Chicago interview scheduling email, but no interview, and haven't heard anything from my other schools (Columbia, Penn, Brown, Cornell, CUNY, and Berkeley); as an opening one-two punch, the whole thing's got me reeling a bit. Three cheers for w(h)ine!

Just now, piglet33 said:

Just cracked open a merlot and I feel all my anxieties drifting away...or that might be the 6 episodes of buffy i've watched today. Either way admissions-who?!

There's a wine store right across the street from me... Y'all are tempting me to pick some up! 

Just now, NavidsonsGhost said:

You bet, and likewise. Where else are you waiting to hear from? I got the Chicago interview scheduling email, but no interview, and haven't heard anything from my other schools (Columbia, Penn, Brown, Cornell, CUNY, and Berkeley); as an opening one-two punch, the whole thing's got me reeling a bit. Three cheers for w(h)ine!

I applied to quite a few. Columbia, CUNY, Brown, UT Austin, Stanford, Harvard, Yale, and Michigan I'm still waiting on... As far as I can tell, it'll still be a few weeks 'til any news from them (and thankfully no more interviews).

Just now, haltheincandescent said:

I applied to quite a few. Columbia, CUNY, Brown, UT Austin, Stanford, Harvard, Yale, and Michigan I'm still waiting on... As far as I can tell, it'll still be a few weeks 'til any news from them (and thankfully no more interviews).

Good luck (and congratulations on Vanderbilt and Penn)! I skipped a couple of those, for fit, but it's a great list. Here's to suffering together!

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yikes!

I'm also grading. I have 50 students in this section, and the professor's name (Zich) has been misspelled 9 different times so far. NINE!

We have learned the true struggle of graduate school. Grading bad homework. :D 

Just now, Neist said:

We have learned the true struggle of graduate school. Grading bad homework. :D 

See I'm kinda looking forward to this. I'll make a game of it. But then I have always been the weird one who likes grading....

Better not make that known wherever I end up TA-ing!!!

9 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

See I'm kinda looking forward to this. I'll make a game of it. But then I have always been the weird one who likes grading....

Better not make that known wherever I end up TA-ing!!!

It is a well-known drinking game in our department: everyone drinks when someone finds an answer which is obviously wrong. For instance, one report that I came across a few semesters ago said that the mass of a bowling ball is about 10^50 kilograms. 

For reference... this, times 100, is the mass of the observable universe as estimated by NASA.

It is also the mass of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 textbooks.

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

I don't think there are many Sociology folks in this thread, but it would be super cool if I ended up meeting you all. 

You KNOW I would bake you all some cookies or brownies FOR REAL.

Two years ago, I ended up meeting someone from Grad Cafe at a two conferences, then at a recruitment visit. Twas awesome. However, we lost touch because this person doesn't have social media or anything, and they're not on Grad Cafe anymore D':

43 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

It is a well-known drinking game in our department: everyone drinks when someone finds an answer which is obviously wrong. For instance, one report that I came across a few semesters ago said that the mass of a bowling ball is about 10^50 kilograms. 

For reference... this, times 100, is the mass of the observable universe as estimated by NASA.

It is also the mass of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 textbooks.

Oh students are a blast. Although you'd be amazed at the mistakes that make it into published research too. We had a whole seminar at the start of my masters where we looked at bad papers. One suggested that a knee moment of 4000Nm was perfectly okay for those recovering from surgery. A fully healthy elite athlete may hit ~350Nm. It was pretty funny. 

Plus you feel like a boss spotting mathematical errors in papers. Some of them though I query how they got published. Amazing to see how far we've come in our understanding.

3 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Oh students are a blast. Although you'd be amazed at the mistakes that make it into published research too. We had a whole seminar at the start of my masters where we looked at bad papers. One suggested that a knee moment of 4000Nm was perfectly okay for those recovering from surgery. A fully healthy elite athlete may hit ~350Nm. It was pretty funny. 

Plus you feel like a boss spotting mathematical errors in papers. Some of them though I query how they got published. Amazing to see how far we've come in our understanding.

I think the issue with me is that I'm grading in the humanities. I'm expected to give meaningful feedback. It's really hard to give meaningful feedback when you just tore someone's paper apart. I kind of just want to write, "Please have the writing center look over your paper next time. You'll get a much better score."

2 hours ago, NavidsonsGhost said:

I got the call--a yes. (which confirms that terrible interviewees can still be admits) :) Here's hoping you hear soon as well.

Edited by haltheincandescent

@Neist could you not say something like "Your points would be substantially  clearer if syntax/grammar/accepted formatting were properly followed. There are resources on campus if you feel you need assistance." I have no idea whether this is seen as being too harsh? I had a paper come back to me at undergrad and the only feedback was "This is shit." Nothing constructive, no ticks or crosses, nope, just "this is shit"

3 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

@Neist could you not say something like "Your points would be substantially  clearer if syntax/grammar/accepted formatting were properly followed. There are resources on campus if you feel you need assistance." I have no idea whether this is seen as being too harsh? I had a paper come back to me at undergrad and the only feedback was "This is shit." Nothing constructive, no ticks or crosses, nope, just "this is shit"

Oh, at the very least I've put a deal of effort into this paper. It's a 500 word essay, and I spent over an hour grading it.

The real issue is if the student is going to take the criticism and apply it to the next paper or turn in another bad paper. I hope it's the former. It's easy to grade a good paper. :D 

17 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

I got the call--a yes. (which confirms that terrible interviewees can still be admits) :) Here's hoping you hear soon as well.

Wow -- congrats! Still nothing on this end. Do you remember what time they called? And did they say anything, by any chance, about how the notification process is unfolding? That sinking feeling is pretty much settled in, but you just gave me another burst of hope!

Congratulations, @haltheincandescent! Did the acceptance call fall on the weekend? If so, that's awesome!!!

I just got a text saying "CONGRATULATIONS, [GINGIN6789] ..." and for a flickering moment, I thought "acceptance via text message?!" No, it was Turbo Tax saying the federal gov't accepted my tax return.

Welll, at least money is on its way!

Just now, NavidsonsGhost said:

Wow -- congrats! Still nothing on this end. Do you remember what time they called? And did they say anything, by any chance, about how the notification process is unfolding? That sinking feeling is pretty much settled in, but you just gave me another burst of hope!

It was about 10 minutes ago--so like 5 hours after the first ones showed up on the results board. They didn't give any further details about the process, but with that time gap, it seems like they're not calling everyone back to back. There's still definitely a chance!

(according to discussion in past years, they wait-list everyone that was interviewed but not definitely accepted--so if they sent out wait-list confirmations yesterday, I'd say, trying not to be overly optimistic, the chance is a good one.) Crossing fingers for both you and my friend who was interviewed.