WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just now, rosali said:

One of my biggest worries is that I'll get a notification while I'm teaching (I'm not supposed to look at my phone/email during class, but you can only watch the same TED Talk so many times before it's not interesting anymore), and either be like "GUYS I GOT ACCEPTED YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GREAT THIS IS!" or cry in front of a room full of high schoolers. And I have no desire to relive my junior year of high school.

Hahaha! Surely they'd be happy for you though! :D

59 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

For what it's worth, everywhere seems to be running early this year--both my english programs and my comp lit ones. Not sure if this will continue to hold true, but, either way: "early Feb" starts in two days :) So, super close. And, much luck.

That's true; I a notification for Northwestern on the results board already...it's super early for that! I'm hoping it's not a bad sign for me, though, since Northwestern's one of the four I applied to haha. Luck to you, too! Doesn't seem like you need it though! :) 

11 minutes ago, rosali said:

One of my biggest worries is that I'll get a notification while I'm teaching (I'm not supposed to look at my phone/email during class, but you can only watch the same TED Talk so many times before it's not interesting anymore), and either be like "GUYS I GOT ACCEPTED YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GREAT THIS IS!" or cry in front of a room full of high schoolers. And I have no desire to relive my junior year of high school.

I actually received my first acceptance via phone in front of a student who hung around after class to chat with me. Luckily I already knew the student from outside of class, so I felt more free to freak out lol!! 

1 missing recommendation for UGA, and 2 missing for UFL.

I'm going to take this as a cosmic sign bc they were master's programs and I'm focusing on the PhD programs.

I think the recommendation notices got lost in holiday email seeing as how they were sent out once the application was submitted and i finished the apps during thanksgiving holiday.

Can't be super mad since I didn't keep up with those 2 app like my other 3. C'est la vie

Hi

Just me waiting to hear back from the MSc in Neuroscience (Oxford). Have absolutely no clue if I've got a chance or the adcom just laughed and then burned my CV.

Someone on The Student Room got an invite to an interview yesterday (on a Saturday huh?). Do they send out all invites at the same time and rejections later?

Oh and I've received a very special rejection on Friday. The love of my life refused to even see me once to talk, so much for telling people how you feel.

I need to get accepted and out of this country, seriously.

Okay today is going so badly. I just need a good old cry but I can't even cry. One of the guys on my course is being totally unprofessional and is now purposefully sabotaging me as well as making increasingly incendiary sexist comments. I found out about the sabotage today. So to make myself feel better I took my reading down to the coffee shop to treat myself to a chai latte. And the leak that's been pooling in the roof burst ALL over me and my laptop. So then my friend invited me over to her house to try and cheer me up and I found eczema on my legs which I only get when I'm really stressed. So I come home to climb into bed and forget about the world and end up throwing boiling water all over myself.

Seriously, all I need now is an email rejecting me from PSU.

6 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Okay today is going so badly. I just need a good old cry but I can't even cry. One of the guys on my course is being totally unprofessional and is now purposefully sabotaging me as well as making increasingly incendiary sexist comments. I found out about the sabotage today. So to make myself feel better I took my reading down to the coffee shop to treat myself to a chai latte. And the leak that's been pooling in the roof burst ALL over me and my laptop. So then my friend invited me over to her house to try and cheer me up and I found eczema on my legs which I only get when I'm really stressed. So I come home to climb into bed and forget about the world and end up throwing boiling water all over myself.

Wow! It's one of those days. Just try to sleep it off. When I have those days I just stay in bed and hide under the sheets. I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day. But why is that guy sabotaging you? 

7 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Oh that must be terrible :( Why the hell is this guy harassing you? People can be such dicks sometimes. I hope your day improves, and I hope PSU accepts you to make it all better. Good luck!

11 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

I'm sorry piglet :( Hopefully some good news comes soon to cheer you up!

Just now, raaawr said:

Wow! It's one of those days. Just try to sleep it off. When I have those days I just stay in bed and hide under the sheets. I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day. But why is that guy sabotaging you? 

Raawr, I just don't know. He's had it in for the females on our course since day one but ever since we came back in January he's taken a total hatred to me. I've tried to pinpoint what I've done to cause him to hate me so, and I've tried to have an adult conversation with him to see whether we could just behave civilly around each other so it doesn't affect group discussions. That didn't work, and seemed to exacerbate the problem. I'm dreading going in tomorrow and having to see him.

13 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Oh my goodness, I am so incredibly sorry to hear about this! If you lived around me, I would treat you to a HUGE meal and dessert, of course. I'd even pick it up from the restaurant and bring it to you in bed so you wouldn't have to go out. *big hugs* What an awful day ... we're all here for you, friend <3

Also: sending you good PA vibes for a PSU acceptance <3 

Edited by gingin6789

ugh, @piglet33. I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a bad day :(. Here's hoping tomorrow's a better one.

--

In the meantime, I'm back to the awkwardness of having applied to (and this time interviewed with) the same programs as one of my best friends: I've heard back, but haven't heard anything from him.... I was complaining to him the other day about how bad my interview went (seriously--plus his report to me on his included much more enthusiasm from the interviewers than I got), worrying that I wouldn't make it in, but now that did, and he potentially didn't (or at least is still waiting)....I feel shitty. Especially because he still doesn't have any for sure admits. Blah blah blah. 

Edited by haltheincandescent

8 hours ago, Justwaitingforneuro said:

Hi

Just me waiting to hear back from the MSc in Neuroscience (Oxford). Have absolutely no clue if I've got a chance or the adcom just laughed and then burned my CV.

Someone on The Student Room got an invite to an interview yesterday (on a Saturday huh?). Do they send out all invites at the same time and rejections later?

Oh and I've received a very special rejection on Friday. The love of my life refused to even see me once to talk, so much for telling people how you feel.

I need to get accepted and out of this country, seriously.

Welcome!! *offers you a plate of cookies and some tea or coffee (whichever you prefer)*

Omg!! I think we all have the tendency to think of adcomms as really harsh, even if it's just for comedic effect. 

I wouldn't get too insecure upon hearing the news of another interview. I got a rejection on Monday, and it really sullied the rest of my week. On Tuesday, I saw acceptances for another program of mine (UC Davis) roll out. A week before that, I saw an interview for another program I applied to (Rutgers). I lived that week in an insecure, depressed funk. I thought it was over. But then I got accepted to Davis on Thursday, and received an interview for Rutgers shortly before that! 

It's impossible to pin down how programs send out notifications, as it changes from year to year (waves vs. all at once, rejections before vs. rejections after acceptances, etc). Waiting is killer, and maybe some Oxford person will have info for you, but until then, feel free to make yourself at home and wait with us!

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your romantic rejection =( That's so hard ... We also offer wine in this thread for such (all) occasions 

Edited by gingin6789

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your romantic rejection =( That's so hard ... We also offer wine in this thread for such (all) occasions 

Oh man, I'm outta wine too!!! 

@haltheincandescent that's a really awkward situation to be in. Did you discuss the possibility of one of you getting in while the other one didnt? Maybe arrange something fun to do together (I'd suggest coffee but it can be wetting and expensive) and see where the conversation goes?

6 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

ugh, @piglet33. I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a bad day :(. Here's hoping tomorrow's a better one.

--

In the meantime, I'm back to the awkwardness of having applied to (and this time interviewed with) the same programs as one of my best friends: I've heard back, but haven't heard anything from him.... I was complaining to him the other day about how bad my interview went (seriously--plus his report to me on his included much more enthusiasm from the interviewers than I got), worrying that I wouldn't make it in, but now that did, and he potentially didn't (or at least is still waiting)....I feel shitty. Especially because he still doesn't have any for sure admits. Blah blah blah. 

I'm in the same position as some of my friends (literally - we applied to the same 12 schools [+ some more for him]) and I've gotten into 7 and he hasn't heard back. I keep having to set my Facebook statuses to be viewed only by certain people, and can never speak too loudly about where I got in... which was rough, since I was sitting next to him when I got into my top choice (Boulder). I think you really just have to put yourself in their shoes; I mean, if you are really good friends, you know that they'd be happy for you that you heard back from somewhere.

On a side note, I found out that if I moved into one of the cheapest apartments available in Boulder, rent would be 80% of my take-home pay. Can you say ouch?

27 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Aww, I'm sorry! They say bad things come in threes, though and there are three bad things, so hopefully you'll get good news soon!

7 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Oh man, I'm outta wine too!!! 

@haltheincandescent that's a really awkward situation to be in. Did you discuss the possibility of one of you getting in while the other one didnt? Maybe arrange something fun to do together (I'd suggest coffee but it can be wetting and expensive) and see where the conversation goes?

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm in the same position as some of my friends (literally - we applied to the same 12 schools [+ some more for him]) and I've gotten into 7 and he hasn't heard back. I keep having to set my Facebook statuses to be viewed only by certain people, and can never speak too loudly about where I got in... which was rough, since I was sitting next to him when I got into my top choice (Boulder). I think you really just have to put yourself in their shoes; I mean, if you are really good friends, you know that they'd be happy for you that you heard back from somewhere.

On a side note, I found out that if I moved into one of the cheapest apartments available in Boulder, rent would be 80% of my take-home pay. Can you say ouch?

We are pretty close in general, and have als been basically going through the whole process quite closely (meeting with the same advisors, etc.) and he's, at least outwardly, very zen about the whole thing so far, mentioning that he didn't even see the interview we both had as any sort of competition between us, and, on my side, I know that I legitimately wouldn't have cared if he got in and I didn't--though of course I can afford to, since I'd been accepted other places already. I don't know. We both work in the same building, so I'll see him on Tuesday. Definitely hoping that he, like me, is just not announcing his acceptance because I have (at least to his knowledge) not heard back yet. Either that or that they're just calling people over a couple days, instead of all at once--yesterday morning, when I saw acceptances posted, then four hours passed, I was sure I wasn't going to get anything....but then, around the five hour mark, there it was. 

35 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Oh goodness piglet, I'm so sorry to hear about that. Here's a picture of a 2 week old puppy on a mountain of other puppies. I've realized that watching puppies helps. 

Snapchat-6517502883470710080.jpg

Just now, G said:

Oh goodness piglet, I'm so sorry to hear about that. Here's a picture of a 2 week old puppy on a mountain of other puppies. I've realized that watching puppies helps. 

Snapchat-6517502883470710080.jpg

That is such an adorably cute puppy!!!!!!! Puppies definitely help - I'm actually on reddit/r/aww right now!! 

27 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Sorry about that @Justwaitingforneuro. Hope it all works out!

Thanks @rhombusbombus  !

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Welcome!! *offers you a plate of cookies and some tea or coffee (whichever you prefer)*

Omg!! I think we all have the tendency to think of adcomms as really harsh, even if it's just for comedic effect. 

I wouldn't get too insecure upon hearing the news of another interview. I got a rejection on Monday, and it really sullied the rest of my week. On Tuesday, I saw acceptances for another program of mine (UC Davis) roll out. A week before that, I saw an interview for another program I applied to (Rutgers). I lived that week in an insecure, depressed funk. I thought it was over. But then I got accepted to Davis on Thursday, and received an interview for Rutgers shortly before that! 

It's impossible to pin down how programs send out notifications (waves vs. all at once, rejections before vs. rejections after acceptances, etc). Waiting is killer, and maybe some Oxford person will have info for you, but until then, feel free to make yourself at home and wait with us!

Thank you @gingin6789 !

Tea and cookies sound great, I had one yoghurt today (it is 5.30pm). Not really much appetite and motivation to prepare food.

Hmm it is just that I really don't know how competitive I am... At least my boss at work is sure that I'll be accepted and my grandma said if I get an interview they'll take me for sure, haha.

You actually kinda calmed me down. I wonder how adcoms work stuff like that out, send alphabetically, or the ones with the best (or most desperate?) PS first? I don't think there is any use in mailing and annoying the course director. Interviews are on 11th and 12th of February, so I hope I'll get an answer next week, since I'd have to book a flight...

Congrats on your invite and interview!

The program is really amazing... but at least I have a future if I get rejected too, I just continue with medschool and be a doctor in 3.5 years instead of 4.5 (6y medschool in my country)... so some upside?

I've loved her for 10years... sigh... well off to win the Nobel prize and invite her there (she did say yes to that idea so...) I guess if the one and only does not love you back the only thing you can do is wish her a happy life and be there in case she ever needs anything.

No wine thanks, I don't drink. Just tea and tears and waiting. Life is so much fun!

1 minute ago, piglet33 said:

That is such an adorably cute puppy!!!!!!! Puppies definitely help - I'm actually on reddit/r/aww right now!! 

Exactly! I thank the heavens that my dog gave birth at the beginning of January.

It's so good to see such an amazing community. So, my story is that I was basically diagnoses with borderline sever depression (on D Burns' scale) a week after I had submitted my application. 

Let's just say that obsessively checking my e mail and the results survey isn't helping.