WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

14 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Long ginger curly hair for one...no idea why! Grad cafe has expanded to the real world...

Could be because my name is Ginger =p 

(Ginger is a nickname though. Fun fact: no one really started referring to redheads as ginger here in the US until a certain episode of South Park came out. So, no one has really been confused by name and hair color until about 10 years ago.)

The whole hair color thing recently confused my husband's neighbors from the UK. I introduced myself, and the woman in the couple pointed to my hair with a confused expression on her face.

I said, "Yes, I know, I'm a walking identity crisis ... "

I'm Ginger in name only =p

3 hours ago, Katastrophe said:

As an aside: does anyone else feel like they are incapable of concentrating on normal tasks during this application process? Ugh. Suddenly sitting through classes seems painful. I wish every day was Sunday so I could spend a lot of time in bed drinking wine and watching Buffy.

Yes. I have been utterly incapable of focusing on anything all day, despite some deadlines and stuff. I just keep checking email and am praying for the week to fly. Drinking wine and watching Buffy sounds heavenly.

This program is draaaagging out the admissions notifications. Last week my app was in "Final Review", now today it's "Decision Made" which means within the next business day I should get an email about the actual decision being posted. An hour later I get an email from the school, prepare my body for some news, but then it's just a notice about what to do if you applied to dual degree programs and get accepted...which I don't know about yet!! Drop the news already, please!

4 hours ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Well, it's the month I am supposed to find out. Could be anytime from today to the end of the month. Twenty-nine days of stress commences. Here's hoping I'm put out of my misery soon, one way or another.

Wonder if the Pop Culture program results came out the same time as American Studies. You applied to American Studies, right?

I still think it'd be neat if I ran into someone on these boards in the eventual program I attend. I think you'd be the likeliest of people, although there's a few of us applying to Cornell STS. However, the likelihood of more than one of us getting into that program is probably pretty small.

3 hours ago, Justwaitingforneuro said:

Sigh I tried to find a picture of the guinea pig I had as a kid but no luck. Well thanks for the cute animals :)

Does anyone know which the time frame every day is in which adcoms usually send out mails? 9-5 or can you get an email later or earlier in the day?

I was told (I think by @haltheincandescent?) that you can get notifications literally whenever the adcom feels like sending them out. That (weirdly) made me feel weirdly better/less inclined to check my email all the time.

Also, @gingin6789 your dogs are adorable, and I agree with piglet, your wedding dress was gorgeous! Also, I like your glasses. Basically, your instagram is awesome, and I also followed it. I can never have too many pictures of dogs on my feed!

5 minutes ago, rosali said:

I was told (I think by @haltheincandescent?) that you can get notifications literally whenever the adcom feels like sending them out. That (weirdly) made me feel weirdly better/less inclined to check my email all the time.

Also, @gingin6789 your dogs are adorable, and I agree with piglet, your wedding dress was gorgeous! Also, I like your glasses. Basically, your instagram is awesome, and I also followed it. I can never have too many pictures of dogs on my feed!

@rosali yours has so many lovely scenery shots (if I'm on the right one...I have instagram special skills)

@rhombusbombus LEO IS SO ADORABLE I THINK I JUST SQEUALED OUT LOUD....

Edited by piglet33

5 minutes ago, rosali said:

Aw shucks!! You're too kind! I'm glad you like my dogs, my dress, and my glasses!! I also just followed you! <3

@piglet33 Mine does have lots of pictures of mountains! I'm from the seacoast, so it's so foreign to me, I have to take tons of pictures haha. And, wow, you do have special instagram skills...my instagram name and my gradcafe name are pretty different!

@gingin6789 Wooooo gradcafe friends becoming other-parts-of-the-internet friends! :D 

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Wonder if the Pop Culture program results came out the same time as American Studies. You applied to American Studies, right?

I still think it'd be neat if I ran into someone on these boards in the eventual program I attend. I think you'd be the likeliest of people, although there's a few of us applying to Cornell STS. However, the likelihood of more than one of us getting into that program is probably pretty small.

Yes, I'm applying to the ACS PhD. I would think the results would be available around the same timeframe, but I would imagine there are more master's apps than doctoral ones to get through (not that I'm trying to stress you out!). I think there are some other folks applying for both of these BG programs, or at least people considering it. Good for you for having some other places you're applying, though. I only applied to one program this year; just finished my MFA in June, so I figured I have some time to breathe and reassess if I don't get in for F16--take another few months and cast my net wider and all that. Did you only apply to BG and Cornell?

GUYS this is the first time in the past two hours that I've been able to sit down. I got into Cornell! With a nice fellowship... looks like I'll be pulling in 32k+ a year (+ tuition and health insurance). I couldn't be more thrilled. Ithaca, NY is my kind of town, I've always hated urban places and when I visited I loved it.

The story is hilarious though. Since it's officially February I kept checking my email, and my professor was making a joke about it every time I'd check ("oh, it's been 30 seconds, better check!"). Then he got up for a second, I checked, and BAM! :D

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

GUYS this is the first time in the past two hours that I've been able to sit down. I got into Cornell! With a nice fellowship... looks like I'll be pulling in 32k+ a year (+ tuition and health insurance). I couldn't be more thrilled. Ithaca, NY is my kind of town, I've always hated urban places and when I visited I loved it.

The story is hilarious though. Since it's officially February I kept checking my email, and my professor was making a joke about it every time I'd check ("oh, it's been 30 seconds, better check!"). Then he got up for a second, I checked, and BAM! :D

Yayyyyyy! You'll LOVE Ithaca! PM me if you want any info about the school, Ithaca life, places to live, or anything. Wegman's FTW!!! :)

59 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Yes, I'm applying to the ACS PhD. I would think the results would be available around the same timeframe, but I would imagine there are more master's apps than doctoral ones to get through (not that I'm trying to stress you out!). I think there are some other folks applying for both of these BG programs, or at least people considering it. Good for you for having some other places you're applying, though. I only applied to one program this year; just finished my MFA in June, so I figured I have some time to breathe and reassess if I don't get in for F16--take another few months and cast my net wider and all that. Did you only apply to BG and Cornell?

I'm hoping it'll be a little bit easier this year. When I visited, they said their last two entering groups for Pop. C. were significantly smaller than they usually were, and they were going to try to fill back out the ranks this year. Good year to apply, I guess? 

I applied to BG, Cornell, RPI, U. of OK, and Drexel. I was accepted into Drexel, but they really don't offer financial assistance. I'm hoping I get a more attractive offer elsewhere. It's not as if a MA in STS is really going to be worth going 70k in debt, you know?

I wish you the best! 

20 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You are on fire with your applications, you know? :P 

Congrats! Just be sure you double check the cost of living if you're seriously considering the offer. Ithaca isn't cheap. I mean, it's no Boston or New York, but it isn't cheap compared to a lot of places.

Just now, Neist said:

Congrats! Just be sure you double check the cost of living if you're seriously considering the offer. Ithaca isn't cheap. I mean, it's no Boston or New York, but it isn't cheap compared to a lot of places.

I know it isn't cheap... but compared to even Boulder, it's much better. I've given up on being able to maintain the Midwest cost of living :P

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I know it isn't cheap... but compared to even Boulder, it's much better. I've given up on being able to maintain the Midwest cost of living :P

Yeah, it's just reasonably expensive. I wouldn't have applied if I thought it was crazy expensive. I didn't apply to Harvard because it's just way too expensive there.

And I didn't even consider any schools in NYC. Far too expensive.

Congrats @Pink Fuzzy Bunny!!!! 

And I got mine from UChicago today! Also with a pretty killer fellowship offer, plus a really nice email from a potential advisor / one of my interviewers.

And my boss told me to seriously take whatever time I need for campus visits, so, overall a pretty lovely day. :D 

4 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

Congrats @Pink Fuzzy Bunny!!!! 

And I got mine from UChicago today! Also with a pretty killer fellowship offer, plus a really nice email from a potential advisor / one of my interviewers.

And my boss told me to seriously take whatever time I need for campus visits, so, overall a pretty lovely day. :D 

Yay congratulations to you too!!! Look at all you guys with your acceptances! I raise my wine to toast your successes ?