WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

No word yesterday, thus I am in Day Two of what I have now termed Februgatory, the purgatory of February waiting on my acceptance or denial. Thank goodness for the groundhog predicting an early spring. Congrats to everybody getting good news!!! :D

For my Februgatory waiting today, I shall be trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with the iTunes player on my phone, avoiding caffeine, and writing angsty poetry.

Edited by The Interdisciplinarian

14 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

No word yesterday, thus I am in Day Two of what I have now termed Februgatory, the purgatory of February waiting on my acceptance or denial. Thank goodness for the groundhog predicting an early spring. Congrats to everybody getting good news!!! :D

For my Februgatory waiting today, I shall be trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with the iTunes player on my phone, avoiding caffeine, and writing angsty poetry.

Do you drink caffeine? I've been trying to avoid it of late. It's been making me a little too anxious.

In general, not necessarily because of applications.

Sigh. WashU just told me to expect either an invitation or a rejection by the third week of February. I'm part of their preliminary waitlist -- too good to reject, not good enough to invite. It's most likely a rejection considering recruitment weekend is the fourth week of February, but a part of me is like "...so you're telling me there's a chance?"

Side rant: it's the Washington University in St. Louis NOT the University of Washington in St. Louis. UDUB IS NOT WASHU.

17 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

Side rant: it's the Washington University in St. Louis NOT the University of Washington in St. Louis. UDUB IS NOT WASHU.

This seems to be a very hard concept for many people to grasp.  I blame President Washington for being so great that his name has to be in more than one state. :lol:

Edited by SLPgradstudent

26 minutes ago, Neist said:

Do you drink caffeine? I've been trying to avoid it of late. It's been making me a little too anxious.

Yes, and it has been increasing my anxiety during the waiting process. I take a medication that already creates a bit of a jangly, over-caffeinated feeling, so I've been trying to cut out regular caffeine. Gotta say, decaf coffee DOES NOT taste the same. :(

5 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

This seems to be a very hard concept for many people to grasp.  I blame President Washington for being so great that his name has to be in more than one state. :lol:

Maybe instead of saying a sarcastic "Thanks, Obama" at everything, we should start blaming it all on Washington. :D

@The Interdisciplinarian I love Feburgatory as a phrase - it's so true. I've been so antsy all day waiting for my interview this evening. I've been super productive and done loads of work but now I've basically run out of things to do until I have a lab on Thursday (yep I did tomorrows work too). 

Also in the past it looks like Penn State start notifying most people of acceptances from around 12th Feb - 20th. Agh I just want to know. I know the results of my fellowship nomination at Florida come out on March 2. Ugh I just want to know. Also, to top off the million emails I had over night the POI said there's another faculty member she might  want me to interview with later this week. Dragged out interviews? Really?!?! 

Just now, haltheincandescent said:

Officially will be flying more in the next month than I have in my entire life. Somewhere to visit every weekend this month (except next week), then the first week of March, too! Ah! 

As someone who flies a lot, make sure you stay super hydrated! Drink lots of water, slap moisturiser on everywhere and make sure you get sleep. All that will mitigate the effects of lots of flying and should help you arrive to your destinations more refreshed :) It's exciting htough!

3 hours ago, G said:

Hahahahahaha. I'm sorry for laughing. But it's so good to know I'm not the only one whose anxiety is manifesting in wierd ways. 

Boy, Freud would have a field day with us. 

hahaha! it's cool! I was laughing at myself too when I woke up again a few hours later. I was thinking to myself, "well, I don't care about you slenderman! I'm gonna turn on my ipad and ignore you." lol!

2 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

I just woke up from a bad dream via alarm. I was semi-lucid in the dream, so when my husband and I ran into someone scary in the dream, I tried turning us invisible... And it backfired. The scary person made it so that turning invisible would make us feel like we were dying, so I'm just lying there in pain, calling out to my husband...

Then my alarm went off. Smack dab in the middle of rem sleep. I woke up EXHAUSTED. 

Curse scary nights and sleep disruptions!! 

Do you think the adcom people are manifesting in our dreams as 1 person? lol. My friend said I might have been dreamt about waking up and seeing slenderman but I was able to send a message to another friend around 545am telling her about seeing slenderman so I know I definitely did pick up my ipad at that point. lol!

Hey everyone,
January 15th deadline applicant here. I stumbled upon this forum because I realized something.. I'll admit, the stress of waiting is starting to set in! I guess this application means more to me than I led myself to believe. ;) I only applied to one school on top of it. Best of luck to all of you.

3 minutes ago, Can-eh-dian said:

Hey everyone,
January 15th deadline applicant here. I stumbled upon this forum because I realized something.. I'll admit, the stress of waiting is starting to set in! I guess this application means more to me than I led myself to believe. ;) I only applied to one school on top of it. Best of luck to all of you.

Welcome :D it's stressful no matter how calm and collected you are. Feel free to vent, discuss anything and everything with us :D we have wine! and occasionally puppies!! Good luck with your application 

51 minutes ago, raaawr said:

hahaha! it's cool! I was laughing at myself too when I woke up again a few hours later. I was thinking to myself, "well, I don't care about you slenderman! I'm gonna turn on my ipad and ignore you." lol!

Lol. Ignore him and thank goodness that you don't have potential food poisoning one day before a preliminary interview. 

2 hours ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

No word yesterday, thus I am in Day Two of what I have now termed Februgatory, the purgatory of February waiting on my acceptance or denial.

Oh my god! I love that term! Februgatory, i don't think Dante could have described it better. 

2 hours ago, Neist said:

Try tea! But not the lipton brand. See if you can get some black tea from an asian store. They have the best! It's so addicting!

2 minutes ago, Can-eh-dian said:

Hey everyone,

I'm with you in this. I submitted my application early, but due to some technical issue, no one started processing it until 5th Jan, so I think i've been put into the late batch (I hope so, at least) and I also only applied to one Grad school in the states. But a word of advice: DON'T EAT CHOCOLATE (long story)

Just now, anthrostudentcyn said:

Happy for everyone in this thread! I haven't really heard ANY news, so I'm getting a bit bummed, some of my programs have sent out interviews and I didn't get one (yet) so I'm starting to think I may have another cycle ahead of me next year :(. or the year after. 

Keep your chin up! Like you said, you haven't gotten an interview...YET. It'll come!

In Februgatory, we climb the mount of Waitfulness, through terraces of The Proud (those with awesome GRE scores), The Envious (those with less than awesome GRE scores), The Wrathful (seriously, eff this GRE thing), The Slothful (eh, apps are due the 15th; I'll email my old prof on the 13th for a LOR, he's chill), The Covetous (why did SHE get an interview and I didn't?!), The Gluttonous (everything will be better with pie), and The Lustful (tindr hookups will  help me forget my pain!), finally ascending to The Earthly Paradise on February 29th, when we receive That Email.

Through each terrace, you check your email fifty times an hour, BTW.

15 minutes ago, Can-eh-dian said:

Hey everyone,

Hello! I'm in the same boat as you, I had two programs that the deadlines weren't until January 10th and 15th. I have to keep reminding myself every time I see that someone heard back from a program that their adcoms have been reviewing their applications for longer and that I shouldn't worry quite yet about not hearing back.

10 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Happy for everyone in this thread! I haven't really heard ANY news, so I'm getting a bit bummed, some of my programs have sent out interviews and I didn't get one (yet) so I'm starting to think I may have another cycle ahead of me next year :(. or the year after. 

i think any of us who haven't heard much are starting to get a bit antsy, but there's still plenty of time. Seems like February really is the turning point in timelines. If I don't hear anything over the next several weeks I'll be slightly more concerned.

10 minutes ago, G said:

Try tea! But not the lipton brand. See if you can get some black tea from an asian store. They have the best! It's so addicting!

I drink quite a bit of tea, or used to. It still bothers me now. I might go into some more soothing herbal blends. I love me some chamomile. 

10 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Hey @anthrostudentcyn - Don't be too hard on yourself yet! With programs that we've applied to, a lot don't do interviews. It's easy to feel pretty bummed when you see people with three or four acceptances and you're still waiting for positive news. Then, you start thinking..."I'm probably out of the running...here's A, B, C reasons why I'm not going to get in..." It's a downward spiral...but just think that we all didn't apply to the same programs (or even the same sub-fields!) and notifications are different for everyone. Hold tight...I'm sure good news is coming your way!

19 minutes ago, Can-eh-dian said:

Hey everyone,

I only applied to one school as well!! It feels like trying to find a needle in a haystack since there's an added pressure into trying to get into that 1 program. good luck to us!

11 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

I feel like I might have another cycle in the next application season too. I hooope we don't have to! I hope we get into our programs soon. 

1 minute ago, Neist said:

i think any of us who haven't heard much are starting to get a bit antsy, but there's still plenty of time. Seems like February really is the turning point in timelines. If I don't hear anything over the next several weeks I'll be slightly more concerned.

I drink quite a bit of tea, or used to. It still bothers me now. I might go into some more soothing herbal blends. I love me some chamomile. 

It's officially Februgatory now. I'm making it a thing, curtosy of The Interdisciplinarian.

And herbal blends sound good. Do tell us if it works. 

9 minutes ago, raaawr said:

I only applied to one school as well!! It feels like trying to find a needle in a haystack since there's an added pressure into trying to get into that 1 program. good luck to us!

I feel like I might have another cycle in the next application season too. I hooope we don't have to! I hope we get into our programs soon. 

I also only applied to one program. Still waiting, deadline was 8th of January and interviews would be on the 11th and 12th of February... I am getting nervous...

Edited by Justwaitingforneuro
spelling

I'm getting nervous about interviews too. My deadline was January 1 and according to gradcafe results my program will send out interviews around the 9th (Feb) and the results most likely will be out around March 15. Aaaah!!! I should've applied to safety schools but this is the only school and only program I wanted. I should prepare myself to the possibility of a next cycle cause I'm really bad at interviews. 

Edited by raaawr