WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Congratulations, @haltheincandescent! Did the acceptance call fall on the weekend? If so, that's awesome!!!

I just got a text saying "CONGRATULATIONS, [GINGIN6789] ..." and for a flickering moment, I thought "acceptance via text message?!" No, it was Turbo Tax saying the federal gov't accepted my tax return.

Welll, at least money is on its way!

Thanks! And yes! The DGS was like "Sorry for calling you on a weekend, but....." (also, he sounded somewhat tired and/or annoyed) so at that point, with the tone and apology, I was bracing for "Sorry to call you with this news on a weekend, but we're not able to offer you a place." But, happily surprised it was positive news. :)

Just now, haltheincandescent said:

Thanks! And yes! The DGS was like "Sorry for calling you on a weekend, but....." (also, he sounded somewhat tired and/or annoyed) so at that point, with the tone and apology, I was bracing for "Sorry to call you with this news on a weekend, but we're not able to offer you a place." But, happily surprised it was positive news. :)

I'd be like "Why are you apologizing?! Best. Saturday. EVER!!" hahaha. I would have felt the same way if I heard a tired tone in his voice! I'm glad it was great news! *serves you some delicious kiffles to celebrate*

29 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

I got the call--a yes. (which confirms that terrible interviewees can still be admits) :) Here's hoping you hear soon as well.

I know we all know some academics who have to be terrible interviews.

I don't think interview quality accounts for much unless you're an MBA applicant. ;) They are probably just feeling you out, like most job interviews.

Just now, gingin6789 said:

I'd be like "Why are you apologizing?! Best. Saturday. EVER!!" hahaha. I would have felt the same way if I heard a tired tone in his voice! I'm glad it was great news! *serves you some delicious kiffles to celebrate*

He seemed somewhat annoyed during the interview, too (so, maybe that's just his usual, totally-not-actually annoyed tone of voice), which worried me at the time, as well.

But: ohmygosh. I had no idea what kiffles were, but, with a brief google search: thank you for the idea, and I'm about to find and/or bake these at some point. They look so good!

22 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

No, for fake emails, I win on this front. One of my professors emailed me to ask if I could cover for a TA in one of his classes. Just to mess with me, the subject line of the email was "Admission to Cornell University". 

I can never tell if waiting is easier or harder on the weekends...from one point of view, I know I probably won't receive any news on the weekend, so I should be able to free my mind and enjoy other things....but on the other hand....what IF.....and congrats to everyone receiving positive news this early in the game!!

Just now, haltheincandescent said:

He seemed somewhat annoyed during the interview, too (so, maybe that's just his usual, totally-not-actually annoyed tone of voice), which worried me at the time, as well.

But: ohmygosh. I had no idea what kiffles were, but, with a brief google search: thank you for the idea, and I'm about to find and/or bake these at some point. They look so good!

Kiffles are a treat I recently discovered! They're sooooo tasty ... I'm especially fond of the apricot and raspberry flavors <3 

I had a phone interview yesterday, and the professor with whom I was talking was very calm, zen, and seemed very wise, overall. Meanwhile, I'm pretty much ... Spongebob. But he said my excitement was a good thing, so that's good!

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I have never heard of a kiffle either. But I did just find a recipe, and they look easy to make! Darn you guys, ruining my dieting!

They're so worth it! And they're so little that you can easily control the portions! 

2 hours ago, emiliajulia said:

I can never tell if waiting is easier or harder on the weekends...from one point of view, I know I probably won't receive any news on the weekend, so I should be able to free my mind and enjoy other things....but on the other hand....what IF.....and congrats to everyone receiving positive news this early in the game!!

Waiting's a zillion times harder on weekends (for me), because I have more free time/wifi to check my email. I know I'm probably not going to hear anything. Does that stop me? OF COURSE NOT.

5 minutes ago, rosali said:

Waiting's a zillion times harder on weekends (for me), because I have more free time/wifi to check my email. I know I'm probably not going to hear anything. Does that stop me? OF COURSE NOT.

Not to increase stress, or encourage more obsessive checking, but, at least from my experience so far, it really can come at any time/day. Almost every single one of my notifications came at unexpected times: One came today, a Saturday. One yesterday, aka Friday, at 7:30pm (basically the weekend). One on MLK day (a holiday for that campus and mine). One at 11:20pm (yes, same time zone). 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny the 11:20pm one was, at least I think, an automated message sent out to everyone rejected (rather than the personalized ones sent for acceptances/wait-lists)--so I'm guessing there was some sort of computer system delay between decisions being inputted, and the automated system actually sending them out (everything submitted online at that school seemed to have at least a few hours worth of lag before showing up). This might be the same case for the generic emails that direct you to check the web application. 

As for the ones on weekends/holidays: I don't necessarily know why this couldn't have been done yesterday, or waited 'til Monday/the next working day--but I'm glad for the news!

@haltheincandescent That's interesting...I don't think it'll make me check my email more, partly because I'm pretty sure none of the programs I applied to will be sending out notifications till early/mid February. The obsessive checking is mostly because I can't stop thinking "BUT WHAT IF..." and it's driving me crazy. That and the very real chance that I won't get accepted anywhere I applied (which I didn't think about when I chose my programs because I'm a dummy).

3 minutes ago, rosali said:

@haltheincandescent That's interesting...I don't think it'll make me check my email more, partly because I'm pretty sure none of the programs I applied to will be sending out notifications till early/mid February. The obsessive checking is mostly because I can't stop thinking "BUT WHAT IF..." and it's driving me crazy. That and the very real chance that I won't get accepted anywhere I applied (which I didn't think about when I chose my programs because I'm a dummy).

For what it's worth, everywhere seems to be running early this year--both my english programs and my comp lit ones. Not sure if this will continue to hold true, but, either way: "early Feb" starts in two days :) So, super close. And, much luck.

8 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

For what it's worth, everywhere seems to be running early this year--both my english programs and my comp lit ones. Not sure if this will continue to hold true, but, either way: "early Feb" starts in two days :) So, super close. And, much luck.

Yeah it was that way this year for physics too! All of the programs I've heard back from sent out decisions much earlier than they have in previous years... hopefully that will continue to be the trend :P

I don't know about other people's fields, but our subject forum is significantly less frequented this year, with a huge decrease in the amount of people posting in the application/admission profile thread. We discussed that perhaps there are fewer people applying this year? The economy has turned pretty poorly for a large portion of our field, and grad school isn't looking as appealing to some.

Could result in quicker turn around times maybe?

@sjoh197 My undergrad is geology and I would have to say most people try industry out before grad school in my department. We also have had very few people go into gas/oil industry. Most of my friends/peers work at environmental/engineering firms. I would have to say only 1 of my friends is applying to grad schools with me.

1 hour ago, haltheincandescent said:

Not to increase stress, or encourage more obsessive checking, but, at least from my experience so far, it really can come at any time/day. Almost every single one of my notifications came at unexpected times: One came today, a Saturday. One yesterday, aka Friday, at 7:30pm (basically the weekend). One on MLK day (a holiday for that campus and mine). One at 11:20pm (yes, same time zone). 

I can't think of anything worse than getting a notification at 7:30pm on a Friday...except maybe waking up to a whole inbox full of them! My greatest fear for Monday morning.

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

What?! Why?? A whole weekend of celebration/tears, instead of having 5 minutes of emotions before having to run off to class.

True, true, you've got a point!! I got my first notification (rejection) while at work on Thursday, with an 8am class to teach/prepare for the next day, and I absolutely refused to open it at that time, knowing it was a rejection, so I suppose it may have well just come Friday night for all the good it did me to get it early.

1 minute ago, emiliajulia said:

True, true, you've got a point!! I got my first notification (rejection) while at work on Thursday, with an 8am class to teach/prepare for the next day, and I absolutely refused to open it at that time, knowing it was a rejection, so I suppose it may have well just come Friday night for all the good it did me to get it early.

You are so much calmer than I... even if I knew it was a rejection, I wouldn't be able to handle letting an email sit in my inbox for that long!

9 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

What?! Why?? A whole weekend of celebration/tears, instead of having 5 minutes of emotions before having to run off to class.

One of my biggest worries is that I'll get a notification while I'm teaching (I'm not supposed to look at my phone/email during class, but you can only watch the same TED Talk so many times before it's not interesting anymore), and either be like "GUYS I GOT ACCEPTED YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GREAT THIS IS!" or cry in front of a room full of high schoolers. And I have no desire to relive my junior year of high school.