WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

5 minutes ago, underwater said:

Anyone else still in the crippling anxiety stage of waiting?  Six of my programs sent out some sort of notification this week, and I only heard from one.

I am slowly descending into this stage. I applied to four programs and nothing yet. A few days ago I was keeping my cool. Now admissions is all I can think about. And that's saying something because I'm planning a trip to Disneyland in March. I'm hoping things will be settled by then. 

9 minutes ago, nka93 said:

I am slowly descending into this stage. I applied to four programs and nothing yet. A few days ago I was keeping my cool. Now admissions is all I can think about. And that's saying something because I'm planning a trip to Disneyland in March. I'm hoping things will be settled by then. 

At least we're not alone!  I know I should be happy that  I got one acceptance so early, but it's driving me nuts that five other programs have notified and I've heard nothing from them.  But I'm sure Disneyland will be amazing, and you should at least have a better idea of what you'll be doing by then!

Every time i check my email i'm already halfway wincing.

Just noticed one of my UGA letter writers never submitted. I'm more upset bc she WORKS there, less upset bc I would never choose it over PSU, UIUC, or UCR. So I guess I didn't really "apply" to UGA

But really... I paid that fee for nothing :/

Edited by rhombusbombus

20 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Every time i check my email i'm already halfway wincing.

Just noticed one of my UGA letter writers never submitted. I'm more upset bc she WORKS there, less upset bc I would never choose it over PSU, UIUC, or UCR. So I guess I didn't really "apply" to UGA

But really... I paid that fee for nothing :/

Gah.... really?! Did you e-mail her and make sure she knows? Maybe since she works there she can correct it.

29 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny i've def reminded her. i think she may be out of the state right now since she is typically very responsive to my emails.

oh, well. Gonna have to just let that one go.

Committees can be very forgiving about late letters. That may or may not be the case in your situation, but I've heard of people getting conditional acceptances or emails asking for the third rec letter. They can see you requested it, and they know it's probably not your fault it didn't get submitted. (After all, who would pick a completely non-responsive recommender?) I don't want to give you false hope or anything, but you should call them and see what their policy is. Explaining it might help you out. It's not over till it's over!

1 hour ago, underwater said:

Anyone else still in the crippling anxiety stage of waiting?  Six of my programs sent out some sort of notification this week, and I only heard from one.

Yeah - totally there. I haven't heard anything on gradcafe (not that anyone posts for this particular school anyways), but since I'm applying to one school the pressure is really on. I try not to think about the fact that my concentration admits one student a year... and the fact that this is my only shot. I think I'm going to go back to playing Dota before I succumb to the anxiety.

1 hour ago, underwater said:

Just cracked open the first wine of the season (Yellow Tail Merlot, v sophisticated) because I had stuff to do all January but I finished it and now the anxiety, dread, and waiting tedium is hitting full force. Yikes.

I'm on the opposite end... I've been doing research (continuing a summer project) with my top-choice school for the past few months. It's mostly programming but obnoxiously tedious. I had been working on it quite faithfully until I got admitted to the school for grad school, and now I just can't find motivation :P 

8 hours ago, underwater said:

I've heard nothing from anywhere, and I only applied to 4 programs. I've seen a couple notifications from one of them on the results board, but I'm trying not to worry since most of the results in the past came out in early-mid February.

loljk I'm worrying like my life depended on it.

1 minute ago, rosali said:

I've heard nothing from anywhere, and I only applied to 4 programs. I've seen a couple notifications from one of them on the results board, but I'm trying not to worry since most of the results in the past came out in early-mid February.

loljk I'm worrying like my life depended on it.

Oh yeah I'm with you on this. 4 programs, 1 I know I fudged the application process so it's more like 3. One interview from the only program that interviews. The others, ahhhhh.

Other departments and colleges have started releasing stuff from those schools but nothing from mine.

Worrying is like a second job at this point.

@piglet33 AH, yeah, the fact that some people applied to 10+ programs makes me so nervous! Why didn't I think to apply to more?! Also, I'm really concerned because my research interests are kind of obscure, and I had a really hard time finding ANY professors who had similar ones. It seems like lit professors don't tend to update their online profiles often, and it's so difficult to tell what someone's research interests are based on a webpage that hasn't been updated in 7 years.

@rosali oh totally, non-updated webpages just complicate issues! Oh so you looked at knees 8 years ago but now you're looking at neuromechanical control? Helpful not. And I'll agree with finding professors interested in what you want to do. Although broadly speaking interests in the knee seems to be fairly common, when you elucidate the intricacies it turns out that only a handful of schools cover what I want to study, with the special considerations of taking me without officially graduating from my masters (CW finishes in June, don't get the piece of paper with MSc on until December). Add in money concerns and 4 schools it was.

@piglet33 Pretty much the same story for me! How many comp lit programs have professors interested in psychoanalytic theories of identity, translation, and Latin American immigrant narratives, AND are kind of close-ish to Massachusetts (where my/my boyfriend's families live)? Not many. It was a stretch for a couple of schools, too, which just makes me more anxious.

I'm just at the point where I want to know either way now. My peers all know and ask me pretty much every class whether I've heard anything (I'm the only one trying to go international). It's so frustrating to  have to keep saying, no not yet. Add in people asking why I haven't applied to stuff here and I just start losing the will a little. Is it too early for wine yet?

On a more positive note, I baked the most amazing rosemary focaccia bread last night and it was GF so no tummy issues :D I didn't eat the whole thing at once...

I think I'm surprised that I'm not more anxious.  I just feel very zen right now, like everything is going to work out the way its supposed to.  One of the places I interviewed will be making decisions next week and even that hasn't sent me into a tailspin.  Regardless of what happens I know I put my absolute best out there in terms of my application materials, interviewing, and showing who I am and where I'm headed.

10 hours ago, lousyconnection said:

Just cracked open the first wine of the season (Yellow Tail Merlot, v sophisticated) because I had stuff to do all January but I finished it and now the anxiety, dread, and waiting tedium is hitting full force. Yikes.

Yellow Tail Shiraz is one of my favorite low price wines. No, my favorite. My parents used to buy it all the time when I was a kid, and it kept me great company on prom night (watching bridget jones' diary and drinking wine instead of going to prom). It's so cheap in the states, but here it's like $15 a bottle if not more, and sort of difficult to find. I don't like any of the cheap wines here :( 

Anyone else been sinking into fantasy in order to avoid the stress of applications? Unfortunately I just finished watching Buffy and Angel (my first time!) so now I'm looking for some good fantasy to sink my teeth into. Except that I'm actually still super busy with first semester exams and papers. After feb 11th I'll be more free, though. I'm thinking of rereading the outlander books and rewatching the show. Next semester I'm writing a paper on Scottish Gaelic, and so I can pretend that it's ~educational watching~. 

but yeah. Fantasy is what keeps me sane during these trying times. 

23 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

That's my approach too, @MarineBluePsy. At some point, you have to realize that these admissions committees with all of the available information will know who fits in best with their department, and hopefully keep "politics" to a minimum. 

At this point, I'm honestly banking that some petty political squabble gets my application front and center. :lol: "We all hate Bob, so screw his top applicant." "But then we have to go with Mary's guy" "Oh crap, well who else is in the pile that's basically average, non-offensive, but somewhat handsome?" "Well, we got this Schwarzwald guy..."

So, I'm killing time by grading papers for the class I'm a grader for.

I weep for the future. One student misspelled a major character's name four times. In 500 words. Ergh.

Ehhh. Acceptances and wait-lists for Duke showing up on results board, and yet still nothing here. There's still time, I guess, but, already starting to think it might be turning into a rejection, and then how bad my interview must have been, since usually they seem to wait-list all interviewees not directly accepted. Blah. :unsure:  (I know I have a couple of acceptances, but Duke was a much higher choice..... well: now, switching from last night's celebratory beer to a sadder w(h)ine.)