WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

2 minutes ago, raaawr said:

@gingin6789I hope they get your ceiling fixed soon. I remember my undergrad apartment leaked through the walls whenever it rains. It's like a horror movie with sticky wet walls but thankfully it's not blood coming out of the walls, just dirty water. Lol! I lived in the 18th floor and there was no window anywhere near the part where it usually leaks so that was frustrating for a bit. I moved to a different building eventually and I was on the 36th floor but the ceiling on the foot of my bed leaks when it rains too. I tried to get maintenance to fix it but it took them forever. I had to move my bed every time it rains. The worst part is when it rains at night while I'm asleep and when I wake up in the morning my feet are cold and wet and my mattress is soaked with water. ?

WOAH, that sounds awful!!! O____O I hope you're living in a dry place now! My situation sounds easy compared to yours! Wow, 36-story building in undergrad ... I'm guessing you went to a big school in a big city! That thought of 36-story buildings blows my mind! *is from a small town and went to small universities where 8-story dorms were a big deal*

2 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

It's 10:30AM here. Are you in Asia somewhere? South Korea is about an hour ahead of you, I think? I only know that offhand because I tend to keep track of kpop releases. :P 

Haha you're correct, I'm in Asia, Philippines to be exact. Lol. I'm not sure about Korea's timezone but I'm 13 hours ahead of east coast time. Haha. I don't keep up much with kpop (I only like Taeyang lol) but I used to watch kdramas a lot. I might be doing that again soon since I'm becoming insomniac again thanks to grad school application. Lol.

Just now, raaawr said:

Haha you're correct, I'm in Asia, Philippines to be exact. Lol. I'm not sure about Korea's timezone but I'm 13 hours ahead of east coast time. Haha. I don't keep up much with kpop (I only like Taeyang lol) but I used to watch kdramas a lot. I might be doing that again soon since I'm becoming insomniac again thanks to grad school application. Lol.

So, that seemed weird to me, because I was under the impression that the philippines were more east than Korea. So I looked at a map, and realized that I only ever studied geography by region, and there are a whole lot of things that I misproportioned in my mental image of the world. Mind. Blown. :blink:

2 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

WOAH, that sounds awful!!! O____O I hope you're living in a dry place now! My situation sounds easy compared to yours! Wow, 36-story building in undergrad ... I'm guessing you went to a big school in a big city! That thought of 36-story buildings blows my mind! *is from a small town and went to small universities where 8-story dorms were a big deal*

I think there's like 38 floors in total in that building lol. I got out of there fast after graduating haha. I didn't get student housing so the buildings I stayed at aren't school owned but they're just walking distance from the school. 

3 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

So, that seemed weird to me, because I was under the impression that the philippines were more east than Korea. So I looked at a map, and realized that I only ever studied geography by region, and there are a whole lot of things that I misproportioned in my mental image of the world. Mind. Blown. :blink:

Oh, Philippines is southeast. Lol. Korea I guess is just east? Haha 

1 minute ago, raaawr said:

I think there's like 38 floors in total in that building lol. I got out of there fast after graduating haha. I didn't get student housing so the buildings I stayed at aren't school owned but they're just walking distance from the school. 

Ah I see! Still, wow, big building! I'm so glad you got out of there quickly!!! What an experience that must have been ..

Just now, raaawr said:

Oh, Philippines is southeast. Lol. Korea I guess is just east? Haha 

I don't have a good excuse for this. I'm just doing the stereotypical American thing and realizing it's been years since I took a close look at a map. :wacko: Fortunately, I'm not applying for a geography Ph.D.

8 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Honestly I don't know how you internationals cope with your admissions people being like 12 hours ahead/behind. It'd drive me insane :wacko:

Lol! So far I'm just trying to minimize email checking. But now that I know someone got an interview invite last Thursday and Yesterday, I'm checking my email every hour. ?

Just now, gingin6789 said:

Ah I see! Still, wow, big building! I'm so glad you got out of there quickly!!! What an experience that must have been ..

The slow elevators are the worst things about living in a big building. Lol. There was a time we had elevator problems, it automatically stopped on every floorrrr! From ground floor to the 36th floor, it took forever! Haha

3 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I don't have a good excuse for this. I'm just doing the stereotypical American thing and realizing it's been years since I took a close look at a map. :wacko: Fortunately, I'm not applying for a geography Ph.D.

Lol don't worry about it. Hahaha! I'm not the best in geography either haha!

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Guys.... I'm totally having the opposite problem than what I thought I'd have. Professors contacting me from schools I've been accepted to wanting to chat with me on Skype. Like nooooo! WHY? THE SOCIAL ANXIETY!!!!

Ahhh! Social anxiety I feel youuu! You can do itttt! Practice with a friend first if it helps. That's what I plan to do if the stars align for me and I get an interview. Lol

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Guys.... I'm totally having the opposite problem than what I thought I'd have. Professors contacting me from schools I've been accepted to wanting to chat with me on Skype. Like nooooo! WHY? THE SOCIAL ANXIETY!!!!

Think of it as a chance to nerd out with someone who knows about all the things you want to know about! :D

So there's this huge storm going on outside. I have no internet (other than cell phone) and no power. I was planning on reading my kindle but it needs charging and there's no light to do any work by. 

Now I'm worried about emails not coming through! 

I also noticed last night that there's definitely a rat or something living in my walls because it scurries around nocturnally and I'm scared it's going to nibble through into my room. 

Leaky ceilings sound bad though! Duct tape?? That fixes everything!

Just now, hippyscientist said:

So there's this huge storm going on outside. I have no internet (other than cell phone) and no power. I was planning on reading my kindle but it needs charging and there's no light to do any work by. 

Now I'm worried about emails not coming through! 

I also noticed last night that there's definitely a rat or something living in my walls because it scurries around nocturnally and I'm scared it's going to nibble through into my room. 

Leaky ceilings sound bad though! Duct tape?? That fixes everything!

All of that sounds terrifying! D:

1 hour ago, raaawr said:

What time is it where you guys are? It's 11:20pm where I am, and since my school is in NYC if they're going to email me at all, they should do it now. Lol. I'm going crazyyyy!

@The InterdisciplinarianWhere are you in Ohio? I used to live in Cincinnati lol

Oh, wow. I'm in Dayton, so yes, pretty close-ish to Cincy.

Also, my insomnia was last night. I just got v little sleep all weekend and am kind of a wreck this morning as a result. Bleh.

13 hours ago, SLPgradstudent said:

This is so funny @Cat_Robutt!  It's totally like having a crush on someone.

Valentine's day has always felt like a darkly comic day to me.  At least until last year.  Last year my fiancé proposed on V-day!

@SLPgradstudent that is really adorable! So, at least amidst all this hectic messiness, you will have your anniversary to look forward to, right?

40 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Oh, wow. I'm in Dayton, so yes, pretty close-ish to Cincy.

Also, my insomnia was last night. I just got v little sleep all weekend and am kind of a wreck this morning as a result. Bleh.

Funny you should mention bad sleep. I went to a happy hour on Friday while I graded papers. Ate a burger. I was pleased with myself. I only ended up grading papers for a few hours and then just sat and enjoyed myself drinking cheap beer. 

At that point I was pretty tired, so I went to bed fairly early. For whatever reason, I woke up, unable to return to sleep, at 2:30 that morning. 

Not being able to sleep is annoying, but not being able to sleep while slightly intoxicated is something I've never experienced before. Ugh. So unpleasant.

According to previous survey entries, today is the day I'll find out if I get into one of my top choices!! If all goes well, hopefully I'll be hearing back if I've gotten into a great program and have minimal debt. It's noon over there--argh hopefully it'll be sent in the next 5 hours with good news.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen increased activity on their Academia.edu profiles as of late? I saw on my analytics that someone was looking at my profile last week and I have a sneaking suspicion they were from one of my schools.... Which could be good? Or inducing even more anxiety...?

Edited by gleefullygloomy

2 minutes ago, gleefullygloomy said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen increased activity on their Academia.edu profiles as of late? I saw on my analytics that someone was looking at my profile last week and I have a sneaking suspicion they were from one of my schools.... Which could be good? Or inducing even more anxiety...?

This happened to me! But then I checked and the person looking at my profile was from Florida. I didn't apply to any schools in Florida, so I have no idea where that came from.

29 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@SLPgradstudent that is really adorable! So, at least amidst all this hectic messiness, you will have your anniversary to look forward to, right?

Yeah!  And, you know a wedding to plan.  Less than 5 months left!  Eek!!!

6 minutes ago, gleefullygloomy said:

My academia.edu analytics show someone found my profile in the city of one school I applied to....two days later, I had an interview request. :)

Otherwise, it's been pretty silent for me. I was hoping for more visible activity, but maybe adcoms don't search for more information?

Academia.edu only registers analytics (keywords, city/location) if they perform a search and then click your page. It's possible people can search for you and NOT click your academia.edu profile, but find information elsewhere (then no information would show up under your analytics). 

TL;DR: It's almost meaningless to use academia.edu to track possible interest in your application. :)

I got into my top choice! It's taking all my willpower not to immediately accept and wait until I visit there and my other options. I'm super excited, but no one in my lab office right now seems to care. :P

Also, I don't have an academia.edu page to track, but I have a personal website that I listed on my CV and applications. I can definitely tell that people have been looking at it, particularly at one school. Also, inexplicably, someone in Texas spent a lot of time on my site.