WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Likely inebriated couple ran down my hallway past my apartment door and you'd SWEAR they were 12 ELEPHANTS instead of two humans! I really try to be understanding and accommodating, but getting woken up by SOME neighbor every night has really taken its toll. 

Yes, I do melatonin, I do the nice silicone earplugs, I do the sleep apps with white noise, I even bought special sleep headphones for $30...

I'm just whining because it's always up to me to try to find ways to sleep, it's up to me to sleep on the couch instead of my bed, it's up to me to go up there and ask them to be quieter... It's never up to them to be courteous of others in the first place.

/end whining 

28 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Likely inebriated couple ran down my hallway past my apartment door and you'd SWEAR they were 12 ELEPHANTS instead of two humans! I really try to be understanding and accommodating, but getting woken up by SOME neighbor every night has really taken its toll. 

Yes, I do melatonin, I do the nice silicone earplugs, I do the sleep apps with white noise, I even bought special sleep headphones for $30...

I'm just whining because it's always up to me to try to find ways to sleep, it's up to me to sleep on the couch instead of my bed, it's up to me to go up there and ask them to be quieter... It's never up to them to be courteous of others in the first place.

/end whining 

I'm so sorry. Take heart in the fact that you'll be on to bigger and better things soon, and I'm sure your housing situation in your grad program will be much much better. 

56 minutes ago, raaawr said:

My mistake is that I only applied to 1 school. Yup. I'm going crazy x100 cause I have so much feelings riding on this one application and I still haven't gotten an interview. So scaryyyyy!

Heyyyyy. I'm in this club! I go from anxiety in the mornings to utter apathy after 5pm! Everyone else is always like "I got rejected to xyz, still waiting to hear from these other 5 schools" and I really hate that I only applied to one school. It was a choice that was made for me by my GRE (though that was def my own fault for creating such an awful monster) and there is so very much riding on it. :( I hope you hear something positive soon @raaawr

I hope I don't offend anyone with the above statement- getting rejected is awful no matter how many schools you apply to. I just can't explain why it feels so much worse to me to be in this scenario.

7 hours ago, nevermind said:

Maybe take this time to develop a new hobby (art class, music lesson, language lesson...etc.) that you can become good at and has no real impact on your future success as a scholar. :)

I've taken up fountain pens and calligraphy, knitting, built a home server, and studied fencing strategy while waiting for grad school apps. I never knew waiting could make me so productive. (Not productive toward my master's research, though, of course.)

3 hours ago, Foreveronward said:

I hope I don't offend anyone with the above statement- getting rejected is awful no matter how many schools you apply to. I just can't explain why it feels so much worse to me to be in this scenario.

I applied to 4 schools and have been rejected from two so far (one day after another, too. It sucked). Rejection's awful no matter what, but I think it's worse when you have fewer horses in the race...you pin all your hopes on one (or two, or four) school(s), and getting rejected is even worse because it's the only school you wanted. Especially when you see people with, like, 20 apps out.

I've definitely lost a lot of hope for my applications after the first two were rejected (one of the letters basically said "we had a bunch of competitive applications, pitted them all against each other, and yours wasn't as good as the others. bye." The other just said "bye." (not verbatim, obviously)). BUT I have a backup plan that I'm pretty excited about, and I'm on vacation in my favorite place in the whole world, so things are looking up for me. :)

3 hours ago, Foreveronward said:

Heyyyyy. I'm in this club! I go from anxiety in the mornings to utter apathy after 5pm! Everyone else is always like "I got rejected to xyz, still waiting to hear from these other 5 schools" and I really hate that I only applied to one school. It was a choice that was made for me by my GRE (though that was def my own fault for creating such an awful monster) and there is so very much riding on it. :( I hope you hear something positive soon @raaawr

Righttt? The mornings are the worst. so much anxiety checking my email and finding nothing. I only applied to one school cause I couldn't find any other program that fits. I hope we both hear something positive really soooon! Did your program start sending out interview invitations yet?

8 minutes ago, rosali said:

I applied to 4 schools and have been rejected from two so far (one day after another, too. It sucked). Rejection's awful no matter what, but I think it's worse when you have fewer horses in the race...you pin all your hopes on one (or two, or four) school(s), and getting rejected is even worse because it's the only school you wanted. Especially when you see people with, like, 20 apps out.

I've definitely lost a lot of hope for my applications after the first two were rejected (one of the letters basically said "we had a bunch of competitive applications, pitted them all against each other, and yours wasn't as good as the others. bye." The other just said "bye." (not verbatim, obviously)). BUT I have a backup plan that I'm pretty excited about, and I'm on vacation in my favorite place in the whole world, so things are looking up for me. :)

Good for you! I think having a backup plan is about the only thing that's kept me sane. Yay for being on vacation- hopefully you're on gradcafe less and enjoying the sites and scenery more! You still have two horses in the race, and I'm really hoping you get into both of your remaining schools.

1 minute ago, raaawr said:

Righttt? The mornings are the worst. so much anxiety checking my email and finding nothing. I only applied to one school cause I couldn't find any other program that fits. I hope we both hear something positive really soooon! Did your program start sending out interview invitations yet?

Nope :( Well, not that I know of. Sadly, not many people post results for my concentration. The only thing I definitively know is the date they send rejections, which is about the same day every year. My application was due Jan 4th, so I keep telling myself that I have time. I've been looking at literally every other result for my school and seeing when those apps were due. Last week I saw a wave of acceptances for early Dec due dates, and I'm starting to see acceptances for Dec 15th due dates. A lot of them have mentioned no initial interview, and I'm really hoping that my program is like that, since they send their rejections March 3rd. It just seems like there's no time left. There's supposed to be a recruitment weekend, but I'm not sure if it's one of the after acceptance 'tour our program' kind, or one of the pseudo-interview with top candidates kind. I'm thinking it might be the former since this program only accepts one (or maybeeeee two) students a year. (No sweat, right?). I know I'm overthinking it all, especially with the rabid gradcafe checking of every other discipline, but I don't know what else to do. 

What about you? Do you know anything about the process for your school? Have you seen any postings in the results section? 

14 minutes ago, Foreveronward said:

Good for you! I think having a backup plan is about the only thing that's kept me sane. Yay for being on vacation- hopefully you're on gradcafe less and enjoying the sites and scenery more! You still have two horses in the race, and I'm really hoping you get into both of your remaining schools.

This is the first time I've been on gradcafe in a couple days (a record since I joined haha). And thanks! I'm constantly amazed by the positivity in this little corner of the internet. You guys are great. I hope the same for you, too, and that you find something to make the wait more bearable! :) 

22 minutes ago, rosali said:

I have no back up plan right now so that's frustrating for me. I don't know what to do. I really need to start thinking of plan b-z soon. Lol

8 minutes ago, Foreveronward said:

Nope :( Well, not that I know of. Sadly, not many people post results for my concentration. The only thing I definitively know is the date they send rejections, which is about the same day every year. My application was due Jan 4th, so I keep telling myself that I have time. I've been looking at literally every other result for my school and seeing when those apps were due. Last week I saw a wave of acceptances for early Dec due dates, and I'm starting to see acceptances for Dec 15th due dates. A lot of them have mentioned no initial interview, and I'm really hoping that my program is like that, since they send their rejections March 3rd. It just seems like there's no time left. There's supposed to be a recruitment weekend, but I'm not sure if it's one of the after acceptance 'tour our program' kind, or one of the pseudo-interview with top candidates kind. I'm thinking it might be the former since this program only accepts one (or maybeeeee two) students a year. (No sweat, right?). I know I'm overthinking it all, especially with the rabid gradcafe checking of every other discipline, but I don't know what else to do. 

What about you? Do you know anything about the process for your school? Have you seen any postings in the results section? 

Someone posted about getting an interview on the results page and 2 others posted about getting interviews on another thread but different programs so I'm still holding out a little bit of hope but I've also talked myself into accepting that I might've been rejected already. All the masters programs in my school had the same January 1 deadline so I think they're sending out interviews and acceptances at the same time. According to the website they have interviews for all finalists of my program so if I don't get an interview soon I'm going to go ahead and assume I'm not a finalist and definitely rejected. I'm giving myself until the end of the week to be positive. It's driving me crazy. :(

@raaawr Don't give up hope! You could have been waitlisted too. I know it's no acceptance, but one of the girls in my cohort got into my M.S. program that way. There are a surprising number of people who pick other options/schools. And remember, you haven't hear back yet, there's still hope!

1 minute ago, Foreveronward said:

@raaawr Don't give up hope! You could have been waitlisted too. I know it's no acceptance, but one of the girls in my cohort got into my M.S. program that way. There are a surprising number of people who pick other options/schools. And remember, you haven't hear back yet, there's still hope!

I will try my best to look at the bright side but applying to this program was definitely a reach for me. It's also my fault for not giving myself more time in perfecting my portfolio. I really really hope we hear some good news. I hope we will all be studying in our dream schools come fall 2016 lol

So I think I've got a brain crush on my masters research advisor. He is so awesome! The most supportive and understanding mentor I think I've ever had. Project sounds amazingly exciting, we're getting started next week. He's already said that if I don't get in to PhD programs this time round he'll personally deliver my application to his contacts next year and make sure I get accepted! He wants me to publish my research in one of the top journals in the field and we haven't even started it yet. "This is the goal from the outset. We want to have something publishable for XYZ journal and presentations for XYZ international conferences. We will train you to be awesome and have the best reputation before you apply"

You guys, why couldn't I have found him a year ago??? 

Rejections are going to hurt, but plan Bs and proactive approaches are the way forward. Good luck everyone as Februgatory continues, I hope happy news comes your way shortly!

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

He's already said that if I don't get in to PhD programs this time round he'll personally deliver my application to his contacts next year and make sure I get accepted!

A professor who has your back like this is awesome and gives you a huge confidence boost. And his enthusiasm and commitment to you will definitely come through in your applications and recommendations. This is actually one of the things that's drawing me to a particular PhD advisor - not only is she doing amazing research, but she seems like an incredibly awesome and supportive person.

Some interesting news came my way this morning: first interview! I emailed the guy back, but he hasnt responded. I'm not sure if I should go to my internship today or not, because the POI hinted he'd prefer to meet today on campus (it's a program at my current university, which is kinda weird haha). I don't want to be 30 minutes away at my internship then have to rush back, but I also don't just want to skip it. Ahh!

8 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

/end whining 

You know what I did? Go buy the cheapest box fan you can find. The cheaper the better. 

Box fans are advertised with silence as a positive, but cheap ones are usually noisy as hell. My neighbor might be watching a movie on the other side of the wall, yet I hear nothing.

It's wonderful.

@anthrostudentcyn, Congrats! Hope it goes well! :) 

Edited by Neist

16 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

@The Interdisciplinarian

We are currently tied to my partner's job... which is wonderful. But if I don't get into this grad program, the market for my field here is shitty. I am really hoping that if I don't get in I don't end up resenting moving here with him.  At least he bought me a kitty. 

Kitties are lovely stress relievers. Mine has been a bit of a help during this tough waiting game.

blah. I had another grad school admissions dream where I was sent an email saying "A change was made to your online application" and I log in and it says that "decision sent by USPS" (I'm not expecting an admit from this university anyway)...so I end up driving to the University and try to track down the department to find answers, getting lost on campus multiple times. Apparently, even my subconsciousness is getting impatient. 

Edited by nevermind

2 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

grr said professor still hasn't gotten back to be about time for interview. now i'm getting nervous it's a fake and they actually made up their minds and rejected me. this is me being crazy, right?

I'm sure it's fine. :) Have you checked class schedules to make sure he/she isn't teaching right now?

17 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

grr said professor still hasn't gotten back to be about time for interview. now i'm getting nervous it's a fake and they actually made up their minds and rejected me. this is me being crazy, right?

It seems like it's a super casual thing, if he's not setting up an appt. in Outlook or anything. My advice? Just roll with it. S/he contacted you for a reason...but professors (especially this time of year) have hectic schedules and other things on their minds too. 

The interview time will probably be confirmed with an email, something akin to "can you swing by at 3:30?" (when it's like 2 p.m.). I had a professor set a time for a (second) Skype interview and didn't show up, so I had to send a follow up email, just stating that there must've been a miscommunication and suggesting an alternate time to meet (He forgot about the meeting and apologized). The lesson? Professors are human. Applicants probably aren't even on the top 3 things on their radar, so cut them a little slack. If you don't hear from them later today, then just send a follow up email. :)