WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

I guess my stress has hit a new level. Woke up with the unfortunately familiar feeling of my lip swelling... A cold sore is on its way. The last one I had was only a little bit over a month ago!!! I used to only get them once a year! And now two in two months? Ugh!!

At least this one will be gone by my first campus visit.

How freaking embarrassing. 

Thank you everyone for the nice words about the cards. I had never really thought about making them for other people. I have an entire smashbook of crap like that that I've been saving from our entire relationship. Movie tickets, event tickets, bottle caps, postcards, pictures, etc. I like the crafty stuff.

@gingin6789 That really sucks. When I get really really really stressed... as in "in front of everyone doing a presentation" or an interview or something big like that, I literally break out in hives on my chest. I even had a professor come ask me after a presentation if I was alright and if I was having an allergic reaction/ needed to go to the doctor. Lol. 

I guess you could say I'm allergic to public speaking. 

7 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Thank you everyone for the nice words about the cards. I had never really thought about making them for other people. I have an entire smashbook of crap like that that I've been saving from our entire relationship. Movie tickets, event tickets, bottle caps, postcards, pictures, etc. I like the crafty stuff.

@gingin6789 That really sucks. When I get really really really stressed... as in "in front of everyone doing a presentation" or an interview or something big like that, I literally break out in hives on my chest. I even had a professor come ask me after a presentation if I was alright and if I was having an allergic reaction/ needed to go to the doctor. Lol. 

Oh no!! That's awful! Do the hives go away soon after? 

Just now, gingin6789 said:

Oh no!! That's awful! Do the hives go away soon after? 

Yeah... probably 20 minutes or so after said "stressful event" is over. I've learned to wear button up shirts, silky scarves, put my rather long hair in front of my chest, etc. Because it IS embarrassing. Which is a shame because natural'ish things like cold sores and hives shouldn't be embarrassing. 

3 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Yeah... probably 20 minutes or so after said "stressful event" is over. I've learned to wear button up shirts, silky scarves, put my rather long hair in front of my chest, etc. Because it IS embarrassing. Which is a shame because natural'ish things like cold sores and hives shouldn't be embarrassing. 

You're so right! We shouldn't have to worry so much about covering it up! I've been getting cold sores since I was 5,and I dread each one! 

23 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Hey all *curls up in the thread and settles in*

Got 2 acceptances yesterday which was great, but I learned just how much someone resents me for even applying to these programs. And they said some very mean and hurtful things about me like how I'll *for sure* choose a program without letting my husband know, leaving him behind and destroying our marriage. It was a punch to the gut. This person said they loved me, and now they peg me as some she-demon who would leave her husband behind? 

The important thing is that, while the person who said this means a lot to me, my mom, my husband, and my siblings are all on my side, and they're the ones who are most important. 

So, this person turned my happy champagne into sad champagne last night. Ugh. 

Anyone else experience something like this? 

Oh no!  I'm so sorry gingin!  That was a really rotten thing for them to do.  Especially on a day when you should be celebrating!

As you said, your mom, husband and siblings are all on board.  That IS what is most important.  So let "someone" have his/her feelings and resentment, and you do your thing.  Don't let them spoil your victory of getting into these great programs.  Because that's what it is.  It's a great big awesome victory!  I know you are already giving strong consideration to the distance from your husband when making this decision.  And only you know what is best for the two of you.  You aren't making this decision unilaterally, from what you've told me, your husband has supported you through this process 100%.  And while being apart would be tough, it does not destroy your marriage.  That's B.S.

Can I be mad at this "someone" for you?  I'll do it, so you don't have to.  You can celebrate instead!

17 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I know what you mean! I have a tremor that gets exacerbated when I get stressed out and makes my whole body tremble--recently found out it is a movement disorder, which makes me feel better about it!

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

You're so right! We shouldn't have to worry so much about covering it up! I've been getting cold sores since I was 5,and I dread each one! 

I also have been getting cold sores my whole life and want to live in a hole every break out. They suck! Hopefully it will heal fast for you.

20 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

10 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Oh no!  That must be really annoying to deal with.  I can relate, in that I too have a very visceral reaction to stress.  Although admittedly, I have yet to break out in hives.  I completely agree that our bodies natural, if inconvenient reactions to streess shouldn't be a source of embarrassment or shame.  I do understand your prof's concern, but it made me chuckle.  You should get a doctor's note excusing you from public speaking!  Or maybe try toastmasters?

@SLPgradstudentthank you so much for the encouragement!! *hugs* Hahaha thank you for offering to be mad at them so I can be happy! You're so sweet! 

@whatamIdoing_hereI'm so sorry to hear that you get cold sores, too! It sucks so badly! 

@artsy16I'm so glad sorry to hear that... That really sucks *offers you a delicious coffee and sits in the thread with you*

8 hours ago, raaawr said:

That's so cute! I can't see it clearly since the picture is small but did you use canvas? 

It's a burlap canvas. My mother made a burlap wreath once and had a bunch of leftovers... so now I have like a whole yards worth of burlap with nothing to do with it lol. 

40 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

It's a burlap canvas. My mother made a burlap wreath once and had a bunch of leftovers... so now I have like a whole yards worth of burlap with nothing to do with it lol. 

Sounds like a fashion opportunity! 

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

I have this, but not with public speaking. (I do a lot of that, so it's not scary to me.) I was dating a guy for a while who had a grandmother who was very proper, and before I went to meet her both his sister and his mom were like wishing me good luck and stuff. It made me super nervous and I broke out in hives (on my face, no less). Turns out she was incredibly sweet. They had me scared for no reason. :P 

7 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

I'm waiting for my plane...for an in-person group interview. I'm nervous and excited and it's an overnight flight, and my nerves are all bundled and jumping. The next two days are going to be so intense, and I'm so worried about saying something stupid or having food stuck in my teeth or not knowing what to say next! This is my top choice school, and I've received some rejections, some waitlist notifications, so much is riding on this interview...anyone have tips for not having a panic attack? 

It's so ironic that I teach Public Speaking and Interpersonal communication and yet I can't seem to get my own act together.

You got this :D

Februatory, day 11. Stardate 11/2/2016, 10:03 EST.

These are the days that try our souls,

as the emails come and the emails go.

Inbox full of no import.

I will not sell my textbooks, nor

will I survive this waiting game.

My life is full of naught but pain.

Edited by The Interdisciplinarian

29 minutes ago, bioanth said:

I GOT INTO MY FIRST PHD PROGRAM!!! I only applied to two PhD versus eight MA's because I wasn't sure if I was competitive enough yet BUT APPARENTLY I AM. holy crap going to class today is going to be hard when I just want to CELEBRATE

Congratulation! Time to partyyyyyyyyyyyyy :D

24 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

i'm freaking out already for my interview at vanderbilt and it's a little over a month away.

oooh dear, this month is gonna be hectic.

@Effloresce The same for me, I am waiting for the result of my first interview 3 weeks back. February has never been this slow to me .

8 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

Congratulation! Time to partyyyyyyyyyyyyy :D

Thanks!!!! I'll be celebrating tonight at an early Galentine's day party with all my friends. Perfect timing basically!!

Just now, bioanth said:

Thanks!!!! I'll be celebrating tonight at an early Galentine's day party with all my friends. Perfect timing basically!!

Tonight, my left hand will cheer you with a beer from my location.. about my right hand? right click at the refreshing button on email :D

58 minutes ago, bioanth said:

I GOT INTO MY FIRST PHD PROGRAM!!! I only applied to two PhD versus eight MA's because I wasn't sure if I was competitive enough yet BUT APPARENTLY I AM. holy crap going to class today is going to be hard when I just want to CELEBRATE

Woo! Congrats!!!!