WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just spent a week on vacation and I was successful in not dwelling over my application the entire time! Even better, but not best-yet, I returned to see the status of my on-line application is now Under Review; changed from Received all documents.

How exciting.

Two years ago, when applying for Master's programs, I received an acceptance and a recruitment visit invitation on President's Day.

I know that will make you all feel better or worse. I mean for it to make you feel better though!

Do with that anecdote what you will!

@nightfarmer I'm sorry to hear that =( My first notification was a rejection, too. It really sucks =( *offers you some cake*

@artsy16 nooo I'm sorry to hear that because it's like going from purgatory to purgatory! Ah! *offers you some cake, too, and sits with both of you*

Feeling so blue right now. Still no news on my end. I should really quit expecting that an email with good news will magically come for me. Also, my best friend is leaving the country for her new school in Australia tonight. So sad since she might be gone 3 years or more :(

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

@nightfarmer I'm sorry to hear that =( My first notification was a rejection, too. It really sucks =( *offers you some cake*

@artsy16 nooo I'm sorry to hear that because it's like going from purgatory to purgatory! Ah! *offers you some cake, too, and sits with both of you*

It's always good to hear words of encouragement from people who actually know what this process is like. thanks

1 hour ago, raaawr said:

Feeling so blue right now. Still no news on my end. I should really quit expecting that an email with good news will magically come for me. Also, my best friend is leaving the country for her new school in Australia tonight. So sad since she might be gone 3 years or more :(

The wait is agonizing and seems to last forever. 

I'm so sorry your friend left for Australia... And for three years... I wish I were there with you to go grab a late night snack and a drink. We could totally just talk about how crap this whole wait is.

Guys, I propose grad cafe rl support groups/weekly happy hour. 

1 minute ago, nightfarmer said:

It's always good to hear words of encouragement from people who actually know what this process is like. thanks

Of course, friend. You're so invited to the late night happy hour with me and @raaawr. You ALL are. Waiting and rejection sucks, and I'm glad we can all whine about it together with no fear of judgment. 

7 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

Count me in. Friday is over and no more news. I just wonder whether any school send out results on Valentine day @@

Yay! *gets you a beverage of your choice* alcoholic drink or not, your drink will be served in a fancy glass! That's what happy hour is about!

Omg that would be great! Get a message that says "will you be mine?" from the program haha. That's the dream!  

3 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

The wait is agonizing and seems to last forever. 

I'm so sorry your friend left for Australia... And for three years... I wish I were there with you to go grab a late night snack and a drink. We could totally just talk about how crap this whole wait is.

Guys, I propose grad cafe rl support groups/weekly happy hour. 

Yessss! I would love to go out and have a drink tonight! Wish all of us were nearer so we could all hang out in real life lol

3 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Of course, friend. You're so invited to the late night happy hour with me and @raaawr. You ALL are. Waiting and rejection sucks, and I'm glad we can all whine about it together with no fear of judgment. 

That's true! I love that I could talk/whine/rant here about my misery without fear of judgment. My friends have totally given up on my grad school anxiety and whining and told me they can't deal with it anymore. Lol. They don't understand the stress cause they didn't apply. :( and I didn't tell my best friend that I applied cause I don't want our to ruin our goodbyes with my anxiety. Lol

3 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Has anyone else been so stressed that they've gotten less social? I feel like I've been just too emotionally drained to make plans/go out/etc. 

Yes! So much! I sleep late, I wake up late, I barely go out. I'm too lazy for meetings. I feel like I just want to stay in bed until mid March and then when I get my official rejection letter I will stay in bed some more. Lol

Edited by raaawr

3 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Has anyone else been so stressed that they've gotten less social? I feel like I've been just too emotionally drained to make plans/go out/etc. 

I'm with you. Like no, I'm sorry I can't go out, I'm too busy checking my e-mail every 30 seconds :P

I did a little too much wine-ing and whineing last night and feeling the repercussions this morning. 

I log into my laptop to go online to check emails and no internet. Turns out it won't be fixed until Monday. ? 

So no Netflix, and the only work I can do is paper writing and even that is limited to whichever articles I have saved on the laptop. 

At least there's smartphones meaning I can still come commiserate on the waiting front with you all here. 

11 hours ago, nightfarmer said:

Well, after all my sitting around saying "I wish I'd hear something" I got the first official response and it was a rejection. Doesn't exactly make waiting on other programs any easier...

Right? I'm 2/2 on rejections. I have two more applications out, and according to the message board, people have heard back from both, so it's looking prettttty grim for me this year. Regardless, waiting to hear back from the other two programs is even more stressful after the first couple rejections.

12 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Whoops - didn't ignore this, just saw it. I had to get off the email machine aka computer last night. Ended up watching spectre with a bottle of merlot.

So I emailed grad admissions at one of my schools to ask about my application status. The good news is that they haven't rejected me yet. The bad news is that if I want to find out when I'm going to hear I need to ask the department. I found an email address for the department rather than a specific person and I'm going to email them if I work up enough nerve. Can it be March now? Ugh. <_<

I had a wild dream that all four of my remaining schools made me offers, but they all asked me to make a decision only after visiting. However, dream-logic was that I HAD TO VISIT THEM ALL IN A WEEK. So, I bounced between Oregon, Arizona, and Colorado, only to say "screw it" and ended up staying in the Rocky Mountains and avoiding civilization.

Waiting does weird things to your dreams.

Edited by BooksCoffeeBeards
Grammar