WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Haha, I'm finding the little random Mindy Project thread hilarious. I'm still on season 2, but I'm spoiled and know where everything is headed. Jeremy is only JUST now starting to turn into a mess, which is so sad. I'd still go for flabby, neurotic Jeremy in a heartbeat (hello, he's still British, which trumps everything, really).

No news. Februgatory marches on. In the novel I'm writing, my protagonist has now gotten really drunk A LOT of times, and her best friend is making questionable life choices as well. If I wind up getting a rejection this week, I may kill off the primary male love interest just for funsies. :P

21 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

So it's officially been a month for those of us with Jan 15 deadlines. I check my status constantly even though it still hasn't changed from "received".

I've got December 1st apps that have yet to say anything (I've pretty much counted them out at this point)

41 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Haha, I'm finding the little random Mindy Project thread hilarious. I'm still on season 2, but I'm spoiled and know where everything is headed. Jeremy is only JUST now starting to turn into a mess, which is so sad. I'd still go for flabby, neurotic Jeremy in a heartbeat (hello, he's still British, which trumps everything, really).

No news. Februgatory marches on. In the novel I'm writing, my protagonist has now gotten really drunk A LOT of times, and her best friend is making questionable life choices as well. If I wind up getting a rejection this week, I may kill off the primary male love interest just for funsies. :P

I had to write a portal fantasy for a random elective I'm taking, and so I wrote it about logic stuffs, because that's my field. The protagonist is something of a walking contradiction and is not paying attention in a logic class and gets into an elevator, where she presses the A button for alley, but wonders if they know it's upside down. So, this elevator opens to the alley and she realizes she's in a place where first order logic is the literal basis for all of the laws of physics and stuff. Being a walking contradiction, she can derive anything, and that gives her a lot of power but also make the universe start to fall apart because it isn't consistent. I was feeling a bit dark when I wrote it though and toyed with the idea of her deriving herself out of existence. (It ended up having a funny and happy ending instead. :P )

Snow days in the south are the worst... No one puts down enough salt on the roads to make it safe enough for me to go for a jog, or drive elsewhere to exercise, and there's not nearly enough snow for snow sports. Another day relentlessly sitting indoors by my email.

5 minutes ago, nightfarmer said:

Snow days in the south are the worst... No one puts down enough salt on the roads to make it safe enough for me to go for a jog, or drive elsewhere to exercise, and there's not nearly enough snow for snow sports. Another day relentlessly sitting indoors by my email.

Be careful! A big mistake people make when walking on ice is that they try to go all graceful dancer, but you'd be better off mimicking how a penguin walks. If you sort of waddle, you won't fall over. You will probably look ridiculous. But less ridiculous than falling people, so I guess there's that.

Random thought, but I just realized that every time I've had to send an important email about grad school I've put it off until right before I leave for work. I host at a restaurant so my phone isn't anywhere near me while I'm on shift. I can be a very anxious person and I think that's my way if alleviating some of the anxiety I get when waiting for an answer. 

15 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I had to write a portal fantasy for a random elective I'm taking, and so I wrote it about logic stuffs, because that's my field. The protagonist is something of a walking contradiction and is not paying attention in a logic class and gets into an elevator, where she presses the A button for alley, but wonders if they know it's upside down. So, this elevator opens to the alley and she realizes she's in a place where first order logic is the literal basis for all of the laws of physics and stuff. Being a walking contradiction, she can derive anything, and that gives her a lot of power but also make the universe start to fall apart because it isn't consistent. I was feeling a bit dark when I wrote it though and toyed with the idea of her deriving herself out of existence. (It ended up having a funny and happy ending instead. :P )

Oh, my gosh, @FoxAndChicken, that sounds pretty amazing! I kind of like the original idea for your ending, but I think a funny/happy is better for the audience. Fiction writing can be great therapy for getting out frustrations and working through things.

15 minutes ago, nightfarmer said:

Its 80 here today.... and tomorrow... and every day until next week. I miss seeing snow sometimes. 

11 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Oh, my gosh, @FoxAndChicken, that sounds pretty amazing! I kind of like the original idea for your ending, but I think a funny/happy is better for the audience. Fiction writing can be great therapy for getting out frustrations and working through things.

It still has a cute twist! And the logic world is destroyed, so it's not like the happiest. But she escapes into the elevator and hits the 3 button and is back into her normal world, and as she's taking the stairs down, it becomes evident that it's an exact copy of her world, but they use three state logic. :P Things relating to my field have been really depressing me lately, so I'm glad that I could do something cute that reminded me of why I love logic. :) The other day I walked into the math department's undergraduate study lounge, and someone had written "No logic in the math room please" with another person having added that "Set Theory doesn't count as math." For a while now my major has been the running joke in the department, but now I'm kind of over putting up with it. :(

Edited by FoxAndChicken

1 hour ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

I know riiiight? He's British! I would go for Jeremy in a heartbeat too! lol!!

2 hours ago, rosali said:

@raaawr I think I'll probably apply either this coming year, or the next one, depending on how I feel about whatever job I get. The one I'm looking at right now is being a full-time literacy tutor at a urban charter school. It's a yearlong program, so if I get in and I love it, I could get teaching certification and continue to work at that school, or if I don't, I can go to grad school. Plus, the work kind of relates to what I want to do in grad school, since a huge portion of the students are English Language Learners.

I still have to get accepted to the program, but I'm definitely really qualified for it, so that's comforting! 

Good luck to you, too! You'll definitely figure something out in terms of plan B, but I'm sure you won't need it! :D

Sounds like a solid plan. that's great! :) I hope I can come up with my own plan soon too. lol. the waiting and the depression that goes with my assumed rejection is just making me lazy and stress eat and just watch stuff on netflix. I'm stuck in a rut right now. I really should get moving. lol

2 minutes ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

Whoa, @bugabooo and @FoxAndChicken - where in Michigan are you guys? I'm in Grand Blanc, near Flint (near the lovely lead water crisis).

So, so far north. Mama Superior is my neighbor. I don't know what brought on the "woah" part, but I can tell you that it was -24 with windchill at my place yesterday morning and -26 in ANTARCTICA. It's dumb. It's much warmer today, in we might even get above freezing in the next few days. I hate that that's "warm."

I've been to Grand Blanc quite a few times, though not in the last five-or-so years. :)

12 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

So, so far north. Mama Superior is my neighbor. I don't know what brought on the "woah" part, but I can tell you that it was -24 with windchill at my place yesterday morning and -26 in ANTARCTICA. It's dumb. It's much warmer today, in we might even get above freezing in the next few days. I hate that that's "warm."

I've been to Grand Blanc quite a few times, though not in the last five-or-so years. :)

Hey! Another Latina in Michigan! Woah! How is that? I grew up in a small town in Michigan surrounded by corn, but my dad is from Mexico. It was weird. Like, people always tell me I'm basically just another white girl from Michigan, but then I go home any my uncle is watching telenovelas or listening to mariachi music. (Seriously, he does both of these fairly regularly and when I tell my friends they think I'm kidding or something.) 

So I've been told I should be getting a letter (unsure if it's rejection or acceptance) either today or tomorrow.

I'm hoping for the best. It might be one of the better fitting programs I applied to.

Just now, FoxAndChicken said:

Hey! Another Latina in Michigan! Woah! How is that? I grew up in a small town in Michigan surrounded by corn, but my dad is from Mexico. It was weird. Like, people always tell me I'm basically just another white girl from Michigan, but then I go home any my uncle is watching telenovelas or listening to mariachi music. (Seriously, he does both of these fairly regularly and when I tell my friends they think I'm kidding or something.) 

Yeah, I was the ONLY Latin@ in my high school. Diversity basically... isn't a thing here, which led to me losing most of my (spoken) Spanish language abilities during my years in public school. My abuelita doesn't really speak English, so I speak English to her and she speaks Spanish to me and it all works out! I get the "white girl from Michigan" thing a lot, too, and it can get really frustrating. Like, I know I have light skin, but no one outside my family gets to dictate my identity!

5 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

Yeah, I was the ONLY Latin@ in my high school. Diversity basically... isn't a thing here, which led to me losing most of my (spoken) Spanish language abilities during my years in public school. My abuelita doesn't really speak English, so I speak English to her and she speaks Spanish to me and it all works out! I get the "white girl from Michigan" thing a lot, too, and it can get really frustrating. Like, I know I have light skin, but no one outside my family gets to dictate my identity!

Ohmygosh. When I went to high school I signed up for Spanish and went to the teacher and was like "Uh. Can I be in Spanish 2?" And she was like "Conjugate bailar." And I was like ". . . I don't know what conjugate means." And she's like "Like, bailo, bailas, baila, bailamos, bailan?" And I was like wut. So I was put in Spanish one. But the only thing I learned in Spanish one was some new vocabulary and what the word conjugate meant. (Because dude, I knew that I would said soy and I would say to you eres, but like I didn't know that was called something fancy.) So, like, eventually I started working ahead. By like the second year of me taking Spanish I was like 200 pages ahead of whatever my classmates were doing and she hands me a quiz on like the preterite or whatever and I fill it out and then the class scores like 12 percent average on it, and I got like a 98 or something. They were super upset and the teacher is like "Well, FoxandChicken managed to do it, why can't you?" And then they all hated me. :wacko:

Note: I can't actually speak much Spanish these days.

Edited by FoxAndChicken

2 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Ohmygosh. When I went to high school I signed up for Spanish and went to the teacher and was like "Uh. Can I be in Spanish 2?" And she was like "Conjugate bailar." And I was like ". . . I don't know what conjugate means." And she's like "Like, bailo, bailas, baila, bailamos, bailan?" And I was like wut. So I was put in Spanish one. But the only thing I learned in Spanish one was some new vocabulary and what the word conjugate meant. (Because dude, I knew that I would said soy and I would say to you eres, but like I didn't know that was called something fancy.) So, like, eventually I started working ahead. By like the second year of me taking Spanish I was like 200 pages ahead of whatever my classmates were doing and she hands me a quiz on like the preterite or whatever and I fill it out and then the class scores like 12 percent average on it, and I got like a 98 or something. They were super upset and the teacher is like "Well, FoxandChicken managed to do it, why can't you?" And then they all hated me. :wacko:

You know, I've probably learned more about English taking Spanish classes than I have in English classes.

The way they formalize language training is really something. I don't think I could have told you want the subjunctive was before taking Spanish courses, and I'm a well-read history buff. :) 

Just now, Neist said:

You know, I've probably learned more about English taking Spanish classes than I have in English classes.

The way they formalize language training is really something. I don't think I could have told you want the subjunctive was before taking Spanish courses, and I'm a well-read history buff. :) 

I didn't understand commas or how they worked until I took Latin and learned about different types of clauses. O.o

1 minute ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I'm laughing so much (in a Starbucks, where people totally saw). I had a very similar experience as a freshman in high school, but my teacher knew my situation and kept quiet about my progress. He just gave me more advanced work on the sly. My older sibling was nearly a teenager when we went to public schools, so they retained much more of the language. I'm definitely jealous of that. Then add in the random differences in my family's language style and what I was being taught... Yikes. The vocabulary was helpful, but even my dad can't always conjugate words "properly" and Spanish is his first language. That's just not how language is learned naturally, I think.