WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Hello fellas.

Not quite whining, but rather a stupid question! I didn't know where I should ask this, therefore in line with my frustration, I just leave it here:

I've been offered an interview for PhD and I don't frigging know what they want to ask and talk about. This is my first ever interview and I'm completely blind. Should I concentrate on my statement?! Should I prepare something?! Should I study something?!!!

Any help is much appreciated.

36 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@The Interdisciplinarian and @flop in case you like reading dissertations, a professor I know did hers on the Real Housewives and feminist political economy of media, and it is pretty fantastic. You can read it (for free! yay!) here if you'd like.

Oh,  neat, what a fun topic!

39 minutes ago, Medule said:

Applied to 6 schools, rejected by 4, waiting on two... when explaining to my mom the amount of stress eating I was doing she responded "well I hope you're also stress running or stress going to the gym too, because you don't want to be rejected AND fat!"  Thanks, mom. :unsure: off to do some trail running!

Yep. Just got my fourth rejection in a row. Going to hit the gym tonight. I wonder if I can log "crying softly into my pillow" under workout activities on MyFitnessPal.com...

39 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Yep. Just got my fourth rejection in a row. Going to hit the gym tonight. I wonder if I can log "crying softly into my pillow" under workout activities on MyFitnessPal.com...

I want to give you positive rep for your sense of humor, not for the news. So sorry about those notices you've received.

42 minutes ago, nevermind said:

I wish MyFitnessPal had a "Stress eating" option where you select "Stress eating" and it just....ignores that day, as if it never happened.

1 hour ago, mrbabaee said:

Hello fellas.

Not quite whining, but rather a stupid question! I didn't know where I should ask this, therefore in line with my frustration, I just leave it here:

I've been offered an interview for PhD and I don't frigging know what they want to ask and talk about. This is my first ever interview and I'm completely blind. Should I concentrate on my statement?! Should I prepare something?! Should I study something?!!!

Hey,

I had a 30 min Skype interview for a PhD program a few days ago (also my first experience of this nature). They asked why I had chosen to apply to their program, and also asked if I had any questions (I had like 5 prepared in advance). They also asked about my research interests, currently and in the future -- but this shouldn't have to be something you need to study in advance for an interview. :) It was slightly awkward because that's the nature of the beast, but the conversation carried itself. If I were you I'd simply spend a few minutes on the school site reminding myself why I'd decided to apply there (small/large department size? really awesome POI(s)? resources? location?) and don't stress about it a ton. 

27 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

I wish MyFitnessPal had a "Stress eating" option where you select "Stress eating" and it just....ignores that day, as if it never happened.

Not only ignores it. Somehow sends you more chocolate. (and maybe booze for those who are old enough.)

Edited by nevermind

1 hour ago, mrbabaee said:

Hello fellas.

There are a lot of good threads on this over in the Interview Section of the Application Forum. A lot of help over there from actual grad students... not just lame applicants like us (just kidding everybody). 

Most of the time, a grad interview is more of a semi-formal process to get to know your personality and whether you as a person are as good as you seem on paper. You stats and research could be great.... but you could also be a sociopath. Interviews help figure that out. I've heard that it's a good idea to read some abstracts/conclusions of professors that will be there, to have an idea of what people do. 

Also, just have an "elevator pitch". A good 30 second- minute long explanation of what you want to research/ why you want to go to grad school. (Not all robot like saying the same thing over and over.... just a general idea).

2 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Not only ignores it. Somehow sends you more chocolate. (and maybe booze for those who are old enough.)

If MyFitnessPal is listening, y'all gotta partner up with Postmates/Seamless/Grubhub/Delivery.com. Whenever someone hits "Stress eating," you refer them to a food and booze delivery service.

OOOH! And maybe include a period tracker in MFP so it gives you discount codes during that time of the month.

34 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Another day of no word. I am going absolutely bonkers. Friends who've applied to things are getting word (different programs). I'm getting nothing.

I'm seriously getting depressed, folks.

*pours a brew for you, @BooksCoffeeBeards, and whoever else wants one/is in Februgatory*

*or tea or coffee or apple juice*

No really, I have a friend who gets apple juice whenever we all go out. It's just really cute ... 

5 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Some of you were accepted to UMich for things I think I recall. Just saying, our squirrels should be a selling point. http://m.imgur.com/H8zbZb4 I named this one Tree and today Tree gave me a hug. :) (In exchange for food obvs.)

OMG!!! So cute!!! And friendly!!

3 hours ago, nevermind said:

Funny what a difference 3 hours can make! No more crying softly into my pillow! (Well, until I see my stipend, knowing how broke I'm going to be for the next five years.) But no more whining for me! 

Random and off topic but I just ended a very close friendship. We were best friends since sophomore year in high school and today I made the decision to end it. And her response was "whatever is best for you, I guess." Depressing, but I suppose it means I made the right decision. Growing up sucks. :unsure:

22 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Also, how long after an informal interview do people usually hear?

My first informal interview (for UCSD) was January 21st. My second informal interview (For UCSD...a follow up because our first call was so long) was January 29th. I just got accepted today (via email, the website shows no change), so it took a little less than a month, but felt like fooooorever. :)

41 minutes ago, nevermind said:

My first informal interview (for UCSD) was January 21st. My second informal interview (For UCSD...a follow up because our first call was so long) was January 29th. I just got accepted today (via email, the website shows no change), so it took a little less than a month, but felt like fooooorever. :)

I got an interview for the same day (Jan 21st) and the professors said that they hoped to get results within 2-3 weeks. Should I wait or contact them to ask about my status?