WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 minute ago, Cat_Robutt said:

I just learned how to knit, and hoo boy has it helped.... I'm like halfway through my first-ever scarf. Really ugly scarf, but I'm the proud papa about it.

That's great! My cousin recently joined the Navy and she's taken up knitting to pass the time. She's made so many beanies and scarfs for family and they're all so dang cute. I'd love to get into it as well.

8 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

I just learned how to knit, and hoo boy has it helped.... I'm like halfway through my first-ever scarf. Really ugly scarf, but I'm the proud papa about it.

I crocheted a whole queen sized blanket a few years ago.... good god did it take a long time. 

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Ugh. I'm so jealous! I'm still hoping either RPI or Cornell pans out because there's a lot of really quality wilderness areas around both cities. Troy, NY is pretty close to the Long Trail, and I'd love to hike it.

An impossible dream of mine is to hike the PCT, but it's just so expensive. Getting the free time is much easier than getting the thousands and thousands of dollars necessary to hike it.

Yup, the lower your EFC, the less the government expects you to be able to pay. I'm super poor, so mine's nearly always zero. Yay for poverty! :D 

Yeah, at Cornell there's a ton of hiking to do and beautiful state parks! There's a couple waterfalls around campus that you can hike to if you have time between classes. Before my office hours, I'd generally go out for a run through a little route that led me to the Plantations (and then around campus). It basically covered a wide variety of scenery (little neighborhoods, campus, farm lands, waterfalls), but was never too isolated. Cornell also has this little cemetery that's interesting and was a point of inquiry of an article by Aaron Sachs (http://oxfordindex.oup.com/view/10.1093/envhis/emq032), so it's kind of cool to encounter things in readings and then go find them in "real" life. 

11 minutes ago, Demeter said:

I've hit that awful headspace in the admissions cycle. I just want to know something, anything. Time seems to crawl. I need to say off the results page. Refreshing only slows my perception of time. 

Rensselaer has been a little annoying to check on the results here because it gets misspelled so often. It takes several searches. Ergh.

I've heard back from most of my programs now, but I'm not sure if that makes me necessarily feel better. I'm sitting on one funded offer, and I'm still curious about Cornell. It's definitely the most prestigious program I applied to, and their placement record is fantastic.

@Demeter I'm feeling it, too. I'm starting to second guess my life choices for the last 4 years. I just had to go back to finish my degree, turning down job opportunities to do so. I shudder when I think about how much of a monetary swing four years of working is, taking into account what I've taken out in loans.

@Neist I just really want to hear from New York Medical College. I know they're supposed to be slow but I'd love to hear something. Unfortunately, they don't have an online management system (WHY I don't know), and it's frustrating. I've got one offer, but honestly, that's only made me more antsy. Now I keep thinking, "So obviously decisions are happening for schools that had the same deadline (I know, I know, each school is different), so where's info on NYMC? Maybe they've forgotten me? I'll be in the city next week, maybe I should write and see if I should swing by! No! Bad Demeter, don't do that!" 

Waiting for PSU is easier because their deadline is ages away, yet. Well, two weeks. 

@magnetite Thinking about money right now is scary. So I try not to do so. Thankfully, I've got a part-time job right now. I finished my master's in December. It seems like the last two months have gone on forever. I hear you on comparing money. FB is horrible for that. My working friends are buying homes and new cars. It's just a different life path, right now. 

9 minutes ago, Demeter said:

@The Interdisciplinarian I can not up vote your post fast enough. <3 <3 Bowie. This song is perfect. 

Hee hee, thanks! Seriously, this song gets stuck in my head every time I check my email during this waiting game. :)

@gingin6789 and @nevermind et al... I remembered this scene from Austin Powers today and I think it perfectly encapsulates the waiting process for grad school admissions. You're waiting and waiting, and then you have to wait longer than you think, but it's just going to be over when it's over. And it's hilarious hearing her count down from 30.

I was reminded today of a funny story one of my physics professors told me after doing a seminar on "women in science." She is a Dr. So&So and her husband was not. However, they would often receive mail from different organizations addressed to "Dr. and Mrs. So&So" and boy did that piss her off. She didn't care if anyone called her Dr., she cared that people immediately assumed that Dr. So&So was obviously her husband (and her first name was pretty girly... like Jane or Jennifer or something.) She laughed about it but seemed disheartened at the same time. Of course she was the only woman in that department that I ever met. I'm sure there were a few others, but it certainly must have been interesting. 

Each day that goes by I grow a little more jealous of those who have at least one acceptance in hand. Especially when someone I met at an Interview Day (or two) texts me to tell me they received an acceptance call and to watch out for one my way (that so far hasn't come). Sigh. 

32 minutes ago, artsy16 said:

Each day that goes by I grow a little more jealous of those who have at least one acceptance in hand. Especially when someone I met at an Interview Day (or two) texts me to tell me they received an acceptance call and to watch out for one my way (that so far hasn't come). Sigh. 

Yeah, it sucks big time. So far I have 2 official rejections, and one informal email from a POI explaining/apologizing that I'm getting rejected (weeks ago, and the official notice has never come - 99% of me knows that doesn't mean they're reconsidering, but that 1% is getting its hopes up). This leaves 2 schools I'm now banking on. And this is year 2 of waiting in vain and wondering why my application never seems to impress people, or at least enough to admit me.

Edited by nightfarmer

I assume I get rejection from one school today. I got interview on 21 st Jan; the professors said they hoped to get results within 2-3 weeks. And now has been nearly 1 month, no news come. On top of that, I just saw an update on the survey, one people got in on 31st Jan. Should I contact them next week lol... to get me out of anxiety for that school?

3 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

I assume I get rejection from one school today. I got interview on 21 st Jan; the professors said they hoped to get results within 2-3 weeks. And now has been nearly 1 month, no news come. On top of that, I just saw an update on the survey, one people got in on 31st Jan. Should I contact them next week lol... to get me out of anxiety for that school?

I can only speak for myself, but I find that it's getting late enough in some program's application cycles that contacting them isn't necessarily out of the question.

I've contacted RPI. I don't expect a positive response, really, but I'd like a confirmation that I'm rejected so that program can occupy less mental real estate.

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

I can only speak for myself, but I find that it's getting late enough in some program's application cycles that contacting them isn't necessarily out of the question.

I've contacted RPI. I don't expect a positive response, really, but I'd like a confirmation that I'm rejected so that program can occupy less mental real estate.

Thank you for the info, @Neist I think I will wait until the end of this week, and if nothing happen, I will email them next week. Having not even one acceptance in hand drives me crazy now :(

Just now, iloveOM said:

Thank you for the info, @Neist I think I will wait until the end of this week, and if nothing happen, I will email them next week. Having not even one acceptance in hand drives me crazy now :(

Yeah, the first acceptances to RPI STS were posted as received on February 4. My application status still says "submitted," and there's no rejections for the program yet posted. It's possible that no one who was rejected frequents these boards (because STS applicant pools aren't exactly huge), I'd definitely like some resolution.

I'd be very confident contacting any of my programs other than Cornell by the end of next week. The month's practically over by that point.