WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

12 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

This is literally one of the best feelings I've ever had (I got into a top choice after being rejected by four other programs). Thanks to everyone for being supportive and amazing!

Congratulations! ?

Im at my ucr interview weekend and i cant tell if i have a roommate or not. The 3 hr time difference means im super sleepy right now even thoughits only 8, but ill be pissed if a person wakes me up i  the middle of the night. 

Im getting really anxious about moving. Thankfully my parents are gonna help me do the move, but all of my friends are still in ga. My biggest fear is that i pick penn state and my sister has to move to the westcoast bc of the military. I dont want a whole country bn us

On 2/10/2016 at 8:09 AM, gingin6789 said:

The important thing is that, while the person who said this means a lot to me, my mom, my husband, and my siblings are all on my side, and they're the ones who are most important...

Anyone else experience something like this? 

Small town, first generation student- not only does my family never leave the town I grew up in, but none of them have ever even attended college. Meaning that they are all "happy" for me, but clearly resentful that I'm going to be moving out of state- because that's just not something they've ever had to deal with. My dad says he understands it's important for my career and that he supports me- but I can tell my family isn't very happy when I've told them about my acceptances so far. It doesn't help that my SO is in a similar situation with his family-it makes me feel like I'm abandoning them and taking him away from his family too. When I told my grandmother that I got into Washington State today she said, "Am I supposed to be excited about that?" I get that it hurts them that I'll be leaving, but the guilt trip is killing me, because I know the move is going to be hard on me as well. So I understand, some acceptances have a tinge of sadness to them and family members that aren't going through the process just don't understand how hurtful they can be.

2 minutes ago, renea said:

Small town, first generation student- not only does my family never leave the town I grew up in, but none of them have ever even attended college. Meaning that they are all "happy" for me, but clearly resentful that I'm going to be moving out of state- because that's just not something they've ever had to deal with. My dad says he understands it's important for my career and that he supports me- but I can tell my family isn't very happy when I've told them about my acceptances so far. It doesn't help that my SO is in a similar situation with his family-it makes me feel like I'm abandoning them and taking him away from his family too. When I told my grandmother that I got into Washington State today she said, "Am I supposed to be excited about that?" I get that it hurts them that I'll be leaving, but the guilt trip is killing me, because I know the move is going to be hard on me as well. So I understand, some acceptances have a tinge of sadness to them and family members that aren't going through the process just don't understand how hurtful they can be.

I'm so sorry to hear people actually behave like this. I moved out of home at 17, and have lived abroad on my own on and off for years. My family aren't batting an eyelid at the prospects of me moving from Europe to the US  for 5+ years and I'm so grateful for that response. I'm not sure how well I'd cope with the kind of situation you describe renea, that's very unfair of your family! Friends who have reacted that way have been cut out of my life (normally because they've said and done other hurtful stuff too) but family is different.

That's why we have grad cafe and friends who are supportive. At some point you have to be a little selfish in following your dreams - plus moving out of state isn't like you're leaving the country. Internal flights aren't going to break the bank and you can still call and stuff. It's only a maximum of a 3 hour time difference which is easy enough! Okay I realise I might be slightly biased in that area (me & the boy are back to 8 hours time difference now, it sucks). Anyway, my point being, I'm sorry your family doesn't get the supportive thing with grad school. Congratulations on getting into Washington State though :D 

@hippyscientist Thanks! It's rough, but it helps to know that it's not intentional. It's just a culture difference, most people from my hometown don't end up living farther than a couple hours away. I agree, it's just a few hours on flight, but I guess in a way I'm officially leaving the nest and it's pretty hard on my family. It doesn't help that I'm also getting married this summer so to my dad it's a lot of changes all at the same time. I know they're happy for me they just don't really know how to show it (ok, well my grandmother is kind of a bitter woman to begin with and refuses to fly, but everyone else is trying to be more open minded). I'm so happy your family is so understanding, mine is flipping out over a move out of state, I don't know what they would do if I moved out of the country.

Edited by renea

11 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@raaawr and @rosali getting your LoR team to review your SOPs is always a great idea! They can offer the kind of feedback as to what ad comms are looking for, since most faculty members serve on admissions committees from time to time. If there is any kind of career-building service nearby, like a place that looks over resumes, you may be able to have them review your SOP as well to check for grammatical correctness, organization, etc.

I did that. It was pretty helpful, but obviously not helpful enough haha. I kind of went into this cycle blind, and I think I made a lot of little mistakes that really added up. I'm getting increasingly excited about my plan B, though!

I only applied to one school (location + fit made it my top choice by a longshot), and got an interview, but feel like I blew the interview. I got so nervous I could hardly interact other than robotically asking the questions I had memorized. I'm on such pins and needles. Now every time I get an email and it turns out to just be from uber I want to throw my phone. 

--just wanted to add to the whine thread of this thread with people who feel my pain. Someday soon this torture will be over. :)

You guys! It's friday!! This means wine time to accompany the whining and waiting :D Still waiting on 3 schools...one reach (but great fit and ties to my current MSc school), one that I know I'll hear about fellowships on the 2nd March and one that I've heard literally nothing from. Bring on the wine!!

Happy Friday,  everyone!  May we have some luck receiving any form of admission news today. 

I shouldn't be complaining since I already have some admits, but my inbox has been so damn quiet the last two weeks. At least March is almost here; I know I'll be getting more decisions back then. 

Happy Friday and congratulations to all those getting acceptances!

This is the last weekend I won't know anything. I am a sweaty-palmed, nail biting mess and ate a whole lot of ice cream last night.

Like, a LOT a lot, you guys.

It was ugly.

Yeah congrats to everyone! I'm still waiting on some schools, but I honestly don't think I'd pick any of them over the one I currently am accepted to, except for maybe one or two. 

On another note, I have a job interview for a job that's kinda a dream job and pays well on Tuesday (it's ironically in the same department as where I got accepted). Do I take the interiew? Cancel it? Consider the job over a PhD? Input pls. 

6 hours ago, renea said:

So hurtful. I'm so sorry you're going through this, too :-( *hugs* it's really hard. Luckily, everyone except the one person seems to be supportive. I can't imagine if my entire family was doing that to me. People don't get how necessary it is for some people to get their PhD! Ugh. It's so disheartening. 

1 hour ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Happy Friday and congratulations to all those getting acceptances!

This is the last weekend I won't know anything. I am a sweaty-palmed, nail biting mess and ate a whole lot of ice cream last night.

Like, a LOT a lot, you guys.

It was ugly.

At least was it good ice cream? :) Good ice cream is my kryptonite. I really love Talenti gelato.

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I've officially been accepted to all 12 schools I applied for.

On the results search, I said something on the order of "Step 1 of success: have vagina"
So now I am referred to as "the vagina below".

COOL

Agh, I've already used all my positive rep points for today! This was hilarious!

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I've officially been accepted to all 12 schools I applied for.

On the results search, I said something on the order of "Step 1 of success: have vagina"
So now I am referred to as "the vagina below".

COOL

Congrats! You're Amazing with capital A!!!!

37 minutes ago, Neist said:

At least was it good ice cream? :) Good ice cream is my kryptonite. I really love Talenti gelato.

Talenti is soooo gooood!

It is actually Happy Friday! I got my first admission today after two ( assumed) rejections.

Now I am really happy that I do not need to find a job after my graduation :D Huray... Goodluck everyone. This thread has saved my life in those dreading waiting days.