WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

12 minutes ago, Neist said:

I like video games as well.

Oddly enough, the only funded program I've yet to be accepted into is a program in which I can focus my interests on video games, if I so desire. Or comics. Or tv shows. 

What's better than a funded graduate program that marries the intellectual with the nerdy? My only apprehension is the unknown of where a MA in Popular Culture takes me, but it really is an amazing program.

That sounds like an awesome program to me! Here's hoping for some geeky good news. :lol:

3 minutes ago, architronic said:

Hey all. First post here. Decided I can't take the wait along anymore so I thought I'd sign up and partake in some collective anxiety ridden comradery. I applied to two programs and, judging by information on their websites and the results on grad cafe, I can expect to hear back from them mid to late March...so I guess i'll be here for the long haul, haha.

Really nervous, but hoping for the best.

Welcome! Please enjoy some whine and wine while you wait. 

3 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

When I was thirteen my mom packed a bunch of stuff into the car and we drove to Maine for my birthday to go camping. The inflatable mattress deflated EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. I woke up every morning like :unsure: Is this a fat joke?! (It was a cheap inflatable mattress.) 

What does a geologist do? I mean obviously that's like rocks, I think, but what kinds of research things do you do? What's your favorite mineral? O.o

I may sound bias but geology is the best field ever! There is such of range of different things to study. I study meteorites in thin section. I am hoping one day to travel to Antarctica and collect some samples! Meteorites are my babies and they are a major part of my life.

1 minute ago, ETRXRock said:

I may sound bias but geology is the best field ever! There is such of range of different things to study. I study meteorites in thin section. I am hoping one day to travel to Antarctica and collect some samples! Meteorites are my babies and they are a major part of my life.

Space rocks! Cool! I went to a lecture from a scientist that was part of that program that landed the mini-laboratory on a comet. It was awesome! (I was bribed into going to this because I took a super intro rocket science course and he offered extra credit for attending seminars around campus. Like a scavenger hunt for your grade.)  

@FoxAndChicken OMG.... mini rant coming. Most people are just like.... 

"Oh you're a geologist.... you just like look at rocks and say what kind they are right?".... No... no I don't. " What kind of rock is this one? What about that one? What kind of dinosaur is that"  ... don't know... I don't know... I maybe know a little bit.

I applied to do research with alpha particle and Ar/Ar thermochronology. I take lasers and shoot them at stuff.... and then tell you either how old the rock is or whenever the last time it went through a certain temperature range was. You can use that info to reconstruct mountain building, metamorphic transitions, and basin uplift/burial. Super cool. You can use geochron to date meteorites and stuff too... which is what I hope to maybe one day do. 

Geology is super diverse... lots of subfields. And my favorite mineral is graphite... its so under appreciated. 

Just now, sjoh197 said:

@FoxAndChicken OMG.... mini rant coming. Most people are just like.... 

"Oh you're a geologist.... you just like look at rocks and say what kind they are right?".... No... no I don't. " What kind of rock is this one? What about that one? What kind of dinosaur is that"  ... don't know... I don't know... I maybe know a little bit.

I applied to do research with alpha particle and Ar/Ar thermochronology. I take lasers and shoot them at stuff.... and then tell you either how old the rock is or whenever the last time it went through a certain temperature range was. You can use that info to reconstruct mountain building, metamorphic transitions, and basin uplift/burial. Super cool. You can use geochron to date meteorites and stuff too... which is what I hope to maybe one day do. 

Geology is super diverse... lots of subfields. And my favorite mineral is graphite... its so under appreciated. 

I super didn't mean to do that! I have something like that too, within my field. I actually started off my personal statement in my apps with " When I tell people that I am a logic major, the most common response is to ask if I have heard of the one with the fox, the chicken and the bag of grain. Believe me, I have. " Likewise, my math friends get asked what arbitrarily large numbers multiplied together are. "Oh! You're a math major? I suck at math. . . . What's 43 times 5?"

My favorite mineral is kyanite! I think I was given one my by crazy aunt who tells me about her fairies when I go to visit her, but it's super pretty.  

2 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I super didn't mean to do that! I have something like that too, within my field. I actually started off my personal statement in my apps with " When I tell people that I am a logic major, the most common response is to ask if I have heard of the one with the fox, the chicken and the bag of grain. Believe me, I have. " Likewise, my math friends get asked what arbitrarily large numbers multiplied together are. "Oh! You're a math major? I suck at math. . . . What's 43 times 5?"

My favorite mineral is kyanite! I think I was given one my by crazy aunt who tells me about her fairies when I go to visit her, but it's super pretty.  

Oh... no.. I didn't mean you. I just mean that people tend to do that. I would much rather people ask what geologists do than just assume we walk around looking at rocks like... "that one's a granite... and that one over there's a gabbro... and that one over there probably has some oil in it." Lol. 

When people find out that my partner works on parking garages.... they're always like "What? Do you like park cars or something?" Nope... he has 2 engineering degrees. He designs them and manages their construction. He works ON them.... not IN them. Lol. 

I got brave and emailed the admin of my target program and got a better idea of when to expect an answer. I feel a tiny weight lifted, as at least I know when to resume panic. ;)

Stress-busting activities: I need more of these. I think all my hobbies are stress-inducing, rather than stress-busting. I love video gaming but sometimes it just makes me more stressed out than relaxed. I need more sitcoms, knitting, and exercise in my life, I think, and less consumption of both alcohol and caffeine.

Just now, sjoh197 said:

Oh... no.. I didn't mean you. I just mean that people tend to do that. I would much rather people ask what geologists do than just assume we walk around looking at rocks like... "that one's a granite... and that one over there's a gabbro... and that one over there probably has some oil in it." Lol. 

When people find out that my partner works on parking garages.... they're always like "What? Do you like park cars or something?" Nope... he has 2 engineering degrees. He designs them and manages their construction. He works ON them.... not IN them. Lol. 

I mean, I assume if you're planning to get a Ph.D. in it, it's not trivial. Though if you could just walk around finding oil, that would be impressive too, I think. Because, you know, that's probably worth a lot of money. :P

I'm in an English class where we had to write an outline of a portal fantasy, and I wrote this pretty elaborate story involving logic. I was pretty excited about it, and then I got comments back just now and it was like 5/5  What a fun story-- great play with logic and philosophy. Nice work bringing in anarchy through the elevator."  T_T That was a universal quantifier (upside down A) not a symbol of anarchy. 12480327_191956637826069_185544561_n.gif

It does get irritating when people assume we only play with rocks. Yes, that is what we do, but there are way more aspects to this. The program is difficult for most as you REALLY REALLY have to love what you are doing. In my current university, most attend the program to get into the oil and gas industry. I followed my childhood dream and now I get to study the most bada$$ rocks there is. Meteorites are what inspired to further my education. There is so much to learn from them!

5 hours ago, pterosaur said:

I've entered a new form of paranoia: I got an unofficial acceptance from my top choice (saying the department recommended me and it needs official approval by the graduate school), and they said I should get official notification after this "typically routine" step in mid-February. Now I'm paranoid that the graduate school will deny me. I'm sure it won't happen (and other people in the results section are experience this same last step waiting anxiety), but still...

I was dreading that too..I got the unofficial notice of acceptance and then a week passed and I heard nothing from the graduate school. Turns out they typed my name wrong when they recommended me for admission to the graduate school. :P

18 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

I was dreading that too..I got the unofficial notice of acceptance and then a week passed and I heard nothing from the graduate school. Turns out they typed my name wrong when they recommended me for admission to the graduate school. :P

Wait, so they put in the email wrong on the unofficial acceptance (accidentally telling you that you were accepted when you weren't) or on the official acceptance? The first one would be just cruel!

1 minute ago, pterosaur said:

Wait, so they put in the email wrong on the unofficial acceptance (accidentally telling you that you were accepted when you weren't) or on the official acceptance? The first one would be just cruel!

On the official acceptance, haha. Typed my email wrong into the ApplyWeb system or it glitched or something according to the department. 

I just... I just want to KNOW. I interviewed eleven days ago and I know the faculty (AdCom) met this past Friday to make the decisions and they're sending notice through the MAIL that I was told to expect this week or maybe next week and I'm SO ANTSY. I'm just going to melt into a puddle of stress if the weekend comes without a letter. I was totally fine until this morning. I am no longer totally fine. 

And I have literally no experience with loans or finaid so I have a constant underlying crisis about how unequipped I am to deal with all that. I know this isn't the thread for finance, but really I'm whining about how I somehow have to figure all this out on my own and it's very confusing. (Yeah, I did the FAFSA and I've applied for assistantships. I just don't know what happens now with the FAFSA tbh.)

Plus my manager keeps trying to open my position at work! My district manager came to our office yesterday to kinda scold her, because I'm not leaving until probably August-- yet she keeps saying how I'm "about to leave/ about to be gone" and how they're "going to be short staffed any time now since I'm leaving." It's honestly nerve-wracking because she's always talking about my departure as if it's days or weeks away. 

6 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

On the official acceptance, haha. Typed my email wrong into the ApplyWeb system or it glitched or something according to the department. 

Nerve-wracking, but must have been a relief once it was sorted out!

1 minute ago, bugabooo said:

I just... I just want to KNOW. I interviewed eleven days ago and I know the faculty (AdCom) met this past Friday to make the decisions and they're sending notice through the MAIL that I was told to expect this week or maybe next week and I'm SO ANTSY. I'm just going to melt into a puddle of stress if the weekend comes without a letter. I was totally fine until this morning. I am no longer totally fine. 

And I have literally no experience with loans or finaid so I have a constant underlying crisis about how unequipped I am to deal with all that. I know this isn't the thread for finance, but really I'm whining about how I somehow have to figure all this out on my own and it's very confusing. (Yeah, I did the FAFSA and I've applied for assistantships. I just don't know what happens now with the FAFSA tbh.)

Plus my manager keeps trying to open my position at work! My district manager came to our office yesterday to kinda scold her, because I'm not leaving until probably August-- yet she keeps saying how I'm "about to leave/ about to be gone" and how they're "going to be short staffed any time now since I'm leaving." It's honestly nerve-wracking because she's always talking about my departure as if it's days or weeks away. 

Mail? Mail? Who sends these things by the postal system anymore? We have fancy instant communication systems now, and have for decades! Since I'm overseas, I think I would die waiting. Also, glad your district manager is keeping your rabid manager at bay, at least for the time being.

6 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

Dude. The FAFSA gives me anxiety. I think I've been late filling it out every year, on account of my mom refuses to give me anything financial, and then tells me to fill it out. 11400244_10155663710135652_2082813614_n.

Just now, pterosaur said:

Nerve-wracking, but must have been a relief once it was sorted out!

Mail? Mail? Who sends these things by the postal system anymore? We have fancy instant communication systems now, and have for decades! Since I'm overseas, I think I would die waiting. Also, glad your district manager is keeping your rabid manager at bay, at least for the time being.

Okay, for context: literally everything else at this school has been hosted online. I couldn't even send my LoR by mail, they too had to be uploaded to the school's application portal. Other programs at this school seem (looking at results search) to notify applicants through email that a decision has been posted in the message center of the application portal. The email from a faculty member told me it'd be through the mail, and I was really surprised. Plus mail takes a long time to get to me as I'm in a pretty rural area, so it's basically guaranteed that other applicants will find out before I do. I told another applicant about watching their mailbox and he mirrored my reaction: "It's 2016. Do you think they realize it's 2016?"

2 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Dude. The FAFSA gives me anxiety. I think I've been late filling it out every year, on account of my mom refuses to give me anything financial, and then tells me to fill it out. 11400244_10155663710135652_2082813614_n.

I'm filing it myself for the first time- my parents are pretty hush hush about their finances even to me, so my mom has always just done it for me. But now that I'm filing independent and don't need to factor my parents in, my EFC is really low. I think that seems to be a good thing? I think it means I qualify for more... help? I filed it a month ago when I did my taxes. I don't know. I don't know anything. 

2 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

What stress relieving hobbies are you guys going to have in grad school?

Well, my boyfriend and I rock climb (boulder, mostly)...and one of the perks of being accepted to UCSD is that it's pretty close to some climbing and not too terribly far from Joshua Tree National Park (3 hours). We also yoga, hike, backpack and camp, so I'm excited to check out parts of the PCT. If the weather is 70 degrees all year round, it's really going to facilitate our active lifestyle in a way that St. Louis (where we are right now) really doesn't. :)

1 minute ago, nevermind said:

Well, my boyfriend and I rock climb (boulder, mostly)...and one of the perks of being accepted to UCSD is that it's pretty close to some climbing and not too terribly far from Joshua Tree National Park (3 hours). We also yoga, hike, backpack and camp, so I'm excited to check out parts of the PCT. If the weather is 70 degrees all year round, it's really going to facilitate our active lifestyle in a way that St. Louis (where we are right now) really doesn't. :)

Ugh. I'm so jealous! I'm still hoping either RPI or Cornell pans out because there's a lot of really quality wilderness areas around both cities. Troy, NY is pretty close to the Long Trail, and I'd love to hike it.

An impossible dream of mine is to hike the PCT, but it's just so expensive. Getting the free time is much easier than getting the thousands and thousands of dollars necessary to hike it.

5 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

I'm filing it myself for the first time- my parents are pretty hush hush about their finances even to me, so my mom has always just done it for me. But now that I'm filing independent and don't need to factor my parents in, my EFC is really low. I think that seems to be a good thing? I think it means I qualify for more... help? I filed it a month ago when I did my taxes. I don't know. I don't know anything. 

Yup, the lower your EFC, the less the government expects you to be able to pay. I'm super poor, so mine's nearly always zero. Yay for poverty! :D 

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

Ugh. I'm so jealous! I'm still hoping either RPI or Cornell pans out because there's a lot of really quality wilderness areas around both cities. Troy, NY is pretty close to the Long Trail, and I'd love to hike it.

I'm just hoping to befriend someone with a car so I can get to wilderness areas.

18 minutes ago, nevermind said:

According to my weather app, it's gonna be warm tomorrow and this weekend! I can finally jog in Forest Park without feeling like Mr. Freeze is punching my face. But yeah, this makes me miss SoCal and it's fantastic weather :/

23 minutes ago, nevermind said:

UCSD is in an awesome location for climbing! My boyfriend lives in San Diego and we boulder around there. So much fun!!! If you like mentally-challenging bouldering, trying to get from Blacks beach up to the glider port is pretty entertaining.

@rhombusbombus stress-relieving hobbies: yoga, yoga, yoga, baking and cooking all sorts of elaborate meals, weightlifting, kickboxing, muay thai, Assassin's Creed, Netflix and adventuring. Adventuring is something I've tried to do this year. I pick a day a week and go on an adventure, with the caveat that no money can be spent. Normally this involves a lot of wandering around looking lost and ending up in dodgy neighbourhoods but it's always an adventure! I'd go hiking/backpacking/camping more if I could a) reach locations easily (I have no car), b ) it decided to stop raining or stop being so freaking cold yet not cold enough for snow. So for now it's most of the above. I used to knit but have carpal tunnel so I can't any more :(

20 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

I'm just hoping to befriend someone with a car so I can get to wilderness areas.

Apparently Bowling Green is pretty close to the Buckeye Trail. No clue how wilderness-y that trail is, but it's something. :) 

I solder electronics for my hobby, mostly building sound synthesizers. Something about liquifying metal into a shiny alloy feels so good.

Other than that it's binge watching X-files and playing Rocket League with friends.

just like many of you, I'm still waiting, my heart beating more heavily this last week than ever before. It's a constant state of panic always in the background. Just let me know I'm rejected so I can let the other school know!

Also lying in bed wondering if this is worth it, leaving a salary job to not get paid for 3-4 years. eek.

Soldering is so 

1 minute ago, seaweed sheets said:

I solder electronics for my hobby, mostly building sound synthesizers. Something about liquifying metal into a shiny alloy feels so good.

Soldering is so intensely satisfying! I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's actually one of the major reasons I enjoyed doing some hardware work (usually I'm on the software side) on the robots.

3 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

I'll continue to play video games. I don't want to think about how many hours I've put into The Sims franchise after all these years!

I also need to acquire a piano again; I was professionally trained for 10 years but haven't been able to move a full-sized keyboard with me over the past couple moves. Also, I want to learn how to knit.

I just learned how to knit, and hoo boy has it helped.... I'm like halfway through my first-ever scarf. Really ugly scarf, but I'm the proud papa about it.