WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

@gingin6789 okay so travelling that much is super tiring! Make sure you stay well hydrated on the plane, in the airport, everywhere!! 

Seconding the rolling your clothes advice, it really saves a lot of space. I buy shampoo/conditioner where I end up but that's because I have super thick hair and hotel sized hair products barely wash 1/10th of my hair. You'll be amazed at how versatile clothes can be, but make sure you travel in comfy clothes and shoes you don't mind walking a long way in.

In airports I always have my headphones on and tend to just settle down and find a place to read my book as it keeps me calm. Packing wise, you'll need undies, PJs (if you wear them), smart clothes, travel clothes, make up if you wear it, smaller versions of your toiletries and one or two very comfy pairs of shoes. When I was travelling I took 2 pairs of shoes (trainers and flip flops), 3 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 dresses, 1 pair of jeans, about 10 bikinis (I have a problem), one hoody and one pair of summer PJs and one pair of winter PJs. That was for 18 months (yeah I pack light). For school visits, I'd throw in a booklet/notepad/ipad type thing where you can jot down your thoughts of people and places at the end of the day. This is really helpful a bit later on! Also water (you can never go wrong with too much water), snacks (I have food issues so always bring my own food, on planes too), tissues and lip balm are all pretty much immediately to hand. 

If you want any specific tips let me know! I am a master traveller :)

3 hours ago, pterosaur said:

@katpillow - holy cow I just saw how many schools you applied to! 22? I can't imagine the stressful process of checking all of those hoping for updates. Why did you apply to so many?

A great question, friend. I brutalized my GPA (very sub-3.0) as an undergrad due to a number of family issues that had my attention outside of class throughout the majority of my time in school. I would have loved to have pursued a masters to obtain a more robust record as soon as I got out, but my undergrad GPA also made that impossible. Alternatively, I could have tried to take some extra courses to show what I've got, but economically that has been very difficult to attain with student loans and no parental support. Instead I've been industry-side for the past ~3 years doing relevant pharmaceutical R&D.

Pretty much everything on my apps is up to par with the exception of GPA, went to #10 undergrad, I've been published 2x (with one bun in the oven, too), 2 (soon to be 4) patents, have about 4.5 years of research experience, GRE scores are average (159V, 161Q), even got a rec from a previously Nobel-nominated chemistry professor). The unfortunate truth is that many programs will simply screen people out straight away based on grade point, so I figured if I increased the number I'd have at least a shot that a few might say "well his GPA is shit, but let's bring him in for an interview to see if he's the real deal or not". Worked for MSU, hasn't shown signs of working elsewhere yet. I'm hoping the first-author paper I've got cooking is accepted soon (might get it this week), so I might be able to shoot programs an email saying there's been a change on my end. Likely too late to help in many cases, but hey, why not? Also I'm about to turn 28, and I want to get moving onto the next step ASAP. I'm already about 4 years behind the originally intended schedule, but life happens.

Edited by katpillow

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Like what's up with New Girl?  I get that Zooey had a baby, but the show is weird without her and I don't like Megan Fox at all.  I have this weird feeling The Big Bang Theory is winding down which is irritating because Shamy just got interesting.  And that whole brother switcheroo on Young & Hungry was icky.  Those tv execs need to quit messing with my crack!

Ugh ugh ugh, New Girl without Zooey is painful. I didn't mind it before they brought in Megan Fox, who is honestly very talented but I feel like her character is set up to be every guy's weird dream woman, a sort of woman who does not exist in real life AT ALL. Jess is kind of the opposite and equally unreal, the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, whereas I like Cece and felt like they would have been just fine letting her fill the Jess void while Zooey finished maternity leave. Megan's character is humorless and dour and ticks off too many boxes of ick for me.

Today has been such a slow day...and of course, still haven't gotten any emails.

At least the Grammys are tonight. I will probably be snacking in front of the TV for three hours, and hopefully I will eventually fall asleep early and wake up to important emails (I can dream, right?)

4 minutes ago, flop said:

Today has been such a slow day...and of course, still haven't gotten any emails.

At least the Grammys are tonight. I will probably be snacking in front of the TV for three hours, and hopefully I will eventually fall asleep early and wake up to important emails (I can dream, right?)

I haven't heard either. 

4 hours ago, Neist said:

You know, I've probably learned more about English taking Spanish classes than I have in English classes.

The way they formalize language training is really something. I don't think I could have told you want the subjunctive was before taking Spanish courses, and I'm a well-read history buff. :) 

Right? I'm all about learning languages, partly because they teach you a lot about your own native language, and just generally make you a better communicator/writer, even if you're not all that good at learning languages. :D 

4 hours ago, raaawr said:

Sounds like a solid plan. that's great! :) I hope I can come up with my own plan soon too. lol. the waiting and the depression that goes with my assumed rejection is just making me lazy and stress eat and just watch stuff on netflix. I'm stuck in a rut right now. I really should get moving. lol

I was in a super-rut for a while. I started trying to cook healthier food, and filled the time I would have been Netflixing with swimming or reading. I mean, I obviously still Netflix (I'm human), but just moving around or doing something that uses different parts of your brain might help you feel better, and start thinking of backup plans in case you need them!

1 minute ago, FoxAndChicken said:

We can do ittttt. 

It's sooooo hard. I ran out of shows to binge-watch, so I've resorted to watching the Home & Garden channel and Food Network, lol. I also listen to really lengthy songs so that after each play, I tell myself, "Oh, yay! Six minutes just passed!" Man, I'm going crazy.

1 minute ago, flop said:

It's sooooo hard. I ran out of shows to binge-watch, so I've resorted to watching the Home & Garden channel and Food Network, lol. I also listen to really lengthy songs so that after each play, I tell myself, "Oh, yay! Six minutes just passed!" Man, I'm going crazy.

I've been lying on the floor in the math department for an hour. I'm starting to question whether I have actual depression. Is it depression if there's a known cause?

Just now, FoxAndChicken said:

I've been lying on the floor in the math department for an hour. I'm starting to question whether I have actual depression. Is it depression if there's a known cause?

Oooh, I love lying on the floor! Sometimes I prefer doing that to lying in bed, lol. Funny thing. I keep finding myself listening to sad, dark songs. Depressed applicants, there are probably thousands of us.

@flop Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Bob's Burgers? Futurama? Parks and Rec? 30 Rock? Firefly? There are more, but these are some of my favorites for binge watching.

@FoxAndChicken Depression can totally have a known cause! I can't tell how much you're joking (because...text), but maybe it would help if you have a counsellor or something you could talk to? I don't know if you're still at university, but most places have short term counseling for students. Feel better!

4 minutes ago, flop said:

@rosali Is Parks and Rec good? A friend actually recommended that to me. I don't know if you're familiar with Suits, but I really want to watch something like it. I live for drama, lol.

Parks and Rec is so good. S1 is kind of terrible, though. You have to kind of grind through it as fast as you can, knowing that by the end of the final season, it's basically a different show.

5 minutes ago, rosali said:

@flop Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Bob's Burgers? Futurama? Parks and Rec? 30 Rock? Firefly? There are more, but these are some of my favorites for binge watching.

@FoxAndChicken Depression can totally have a known cause! I can't tell how much you're joking (because...text), but maybe it would help if you have a counsellor or something you could talk to? I don't know if you're still at university, but most places have short term counseling for students. Feel better!

Not joking, sadly. The school has a pretty system for that set up but last time I went their advice was to drop a class. Which I did and it didn't help at all. (What helped was the stimuli being removed—financial aid messed up and the university froze my account. It was a mess. Once it was sorted out I was fine.)

2 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Parks and Rec is so good. S1 is kind of terrible, though. You have to kind of grind through it as fast as you can, knowing that by the end of the final season, it's basically a different show.

Ugh, it's so hard for me to get hooked, especially if the first few episodes are boring. But there are so many episodes already, so it may be a good time killer. I'll start it tomorrow, ha.

Random, but I see you love pop culture, lol. SAME HERE. 

Edited by flop

Just now, flop said:

Ugh, it's so hard for me to get hooked, especially if the first few episodes are boring. But there are so many episodes already, so it may be a good time killer. I'll start it tomorrow, ha.

Its already awesome by Season 2.... you really just have to power through the first season and then the rest is golden. It is probably one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. 

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

Its already awesome by Season 2.... you really just have to power through the first season and then the rest is golden. It is probably one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. 

Okay, green light from three GC members. I'll definitely give it a shot, then. 

@flop You could start with Season 2! You won't miss a ton by skipping the first season.

@FoxAndChicken Sorry to hear that! Maybe if you tried a different counsellor? Or asked for a list of off-campus providers who accept your insurance/don't cost a ton? I feel like we students (of really any age, because my high school students are crazy stressed all the time and it's ridiculous) really don't get access to the mental health care we need a lot of the time. Being a student is really high-stress and demanding, and we put a ton of pressure on ourselves, too. Take care of yourself, friend!

43 minutes ago, flop said:

I do! I'm trying to get into an American Culture Studies program where one can emphasize in a few areas that have crossover with pop culture. Like, I would literally teach a class about Parks & Rec or something, haha. (No, probably not that narrow, but maybe loftier sounding, like Depictions of Women in American Situation Comedies, 1970-2015 or something.)

Edited by The Interdisciplinarian

19 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

I do! I'm trying to get into an American Culture Studies program where one can emphasize in a few areas that have crossover with pop culture. Like, I would literally teach a class about Parks & Rec or something, haha. (No, probably not that narrow, but maybe loftier sounding, like Depictions of Women in American Situation Comedies, 1970-2015 or something.)

Haha, that sounds interesting! Are you all kept up with, say, the Kardashians and the music world? I am obsessed with the music industry, even though I have no musical talent whatsoever, haha.

@rosali Thank you for the suggestion! I hope I end up liking it as much as you guys do!

@FoxAndChicken Aha, I spent an entire day lying on my couch and binge watching depressing anime shows because it's taking so long to hear back from universities…I skipped classes and refused to move from the couch. Needless to say, after a day of moping, I feel a lot better (marginally, actually)… Good luck to you and all my other fellow applicants!

Edited by Bookaddict

21 minutes ago, Bookaddict said:

@FoxAndChicken Aha, I spent an entire day lying on my couch and binge watching depressing anime shows because it's taking so long to hear back from universities…I skipped classes and refused to move from the couch. Needless to say, after a day of moping, I feel a lot better (marginally, actually)… Good luck to you and all my other fellow applicants!

Ever watch Haibane Renmei? It's a great poignant, melancholic anime. I highly suggest it!