WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

19 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

I got an interview for the same day (Jan 21st) and the professors said that they hoped to get results within 2-3 weeks. Should I wait or contact them to ask about my status?

I think it's probably best to sit tight for awhile. It feels like forever (I know), but give it a little bit longer!

I have to admit, I've been lurking on this thread for the longest to gain some sort of solace.  My top school doesn't review applications until mid-March (one deadline was 2/15 and the next is 3/15).  Fingers are crossed that they find it in their hearts to begin reviewing applications.

Anywho, ever since I submitted my app last month, I've been feeling nostalgic and began to constantly watch reruns of Rugrats and Hey Arnold! to get my mind off of grad school lol.

Edited by easybreezy

I feel all of your pain. I applied to eight programs and so far have just heard back from one (which was a rejection). Open house invitations and acceptances have been posted on the results page for several of the other schools.

Speaking of Better Call Saul, I imagine if I get rejected from all eight, I'd consider myself lucky to get a job managing a Cinnabon in Omaha.

Night Owls in the US... If you watch Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, I have one question: WHY do they make those creepy as heck animations during commercial breaks? Like straight up monster demon sh*t. just what my insomniac, in-pain, super jumpy self needs. 

I know the answer to my question though. Adult swim does whatever they want haha. 

39 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Night Owls in the US... If you watch Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, I have one question: WHY do they make those creepy as heck animations during commercial breaks? Like straight up monster demon sh*t. just what my insomniac, in-pain, super jumpy self needs. 

I know the answer to my question though. Adult swim does whatever they want haha. 

I completely agree. What happened to the good old cartoons :(

Also... these it's-2am-and-I'm-still-at-school nights make me wonder why I want to do grad school at all... who's with me?

37 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I completely agree. What happened to the good old cartoons :(

Also... these it's-2am-and-I'm-still-at-school nights make me wonder why I want to do grad school at all... who's with me?

Idk what happened, man. Adult swim has always been "I do what I want" but before it was weird rather than scary.

For me it's the opposite. I'm awake cause I'm in pain and nights like this it's like "I gotta keep going." ugh. So tired. 

11 hours ago, floatinggreenskull said:

Hey,

I had a 30 min Skype interview for a PhD program a few days ago (also my first experience of this nature). They asked why I had chosen to apply to their program, and also asked if I had any questions (I had like 5 prepared in advance). They also asked about my research interests, currently and in the future -- but this shouldn't have to be something you need to study in advance for an interview. :) It was slightly awkward because that's the nature of the beast, but the conversation carried itself. If I were you I'd simply spend a few minutes on the school site reminding myself why I'd decided to apply there (small/large department size? really awesome POI(s)? resources? location?) and don't stress about it a ton. 

Oh, perfect pal. This is so enlightening! 

11 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

There are a lot of good threads on this over in the Interview Section of the Application Forum. A lot of help over there from actual grad students... not just lame applicants like us (just kidding everybody). 

Most of the time, a grad interview is more of a semi-formal process to get to know your personality and whether you as a person are as good as you seem on paper. You stats and research could be great.... but you could also be a sociopath. Interviews help figure that out. I've heard that it's a good idea to read some abstracts/conclusions of professors that will be there, to have an idea of what people do. 

Also, just have an "elevator pitch". A good 30 second- minute long explanation of what you want to research/ why you want to go to grad school. (Not all robot like saying the same thing over and over.... just a general idea).

Thank you dear sjoh197 for your references. I'm going to check out those naughty sections! ;)

I also appreciate your other suggestions. 

I've entered a new form of paranoia: I got an unofficial acceptance from my top choice (saying the department recommended me and it needs official approval by the graduate school), and they said I should get official notification after this "typically routine" step in mid-February. Now I'm paranoid that the graduate school will deny me. I'm sure it won't happen (and other people in the results section are experience this same last step waiting anxiety), but still...

So before I left work yesterday, I texted my spouse to ask if I had any mail. He said I had two "mysterious" letters. I had to start driving, so I spent a half an hour wondering what those could be (I suppose I could have called him, but I am apparently a masochist). When I got home, they were mortgage refi offers.

*sigh*

I HATE EVERYTHING AND WAITING IS AWFUL. Februgatory, you are the WORST.

6 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

What stress relieving hobbies are you guys going to have in grad school?

I've taken up fencing during my master's degree, and I'd like to continue that. Or get back to curling, which I did in high school and really miss. Stabbing people and throwing 42 pound chunks of granite are great forms of stress relief.

Also baking. A lot of baking. Anyone want a chocolate layer cake or fresh-baked bread?

And then a lot of time coding things to avoid being social.

15 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I've gotten back into swimming this year. I'm doubting that I'll be in grad school next year, but I'm going to try to keep up swimming regardless of where I am.  Also reading for pleasure. I got more into TV at university, and I forgot how relaxing it is to read for fun. Cooking, too. Relaxing process, fun rewards. I just started baking bread this year (we couldn't find pita in Andorra, and things snowballed from there), and I love it!

21 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I'll continue to play video games. I don't want to think about how many hours I've put into The Sims franchise after all these years!

I also need to acquire a piano again; I was professionally trained for 10 years but haven't been able to move a full-sized keyboard with me over the past couple moves. Also, I want to learn how to knit.

32 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

During my Masters, I picked up drinking. IPAs make As. But on a serious note, I like to draw, play the piano, play video games, run, rockclimb, and drink. 

1 hour ago, RCtheSS said:

I'll continue to play video games. I don't want to think about how many hours I've put into The Sims franchise after all these years!

I also need to acquire a piano again; I was professionally trained for 10 years but haven't been able to move a full-sized keyboard with me over the past couple moves. Also, I want to learn how to knit.

I like video games as well.

Oddly enough, the only funded program I've been accepted into is a program in which I can focus my interests on video games, if I so desire. Or comics. Or tv shows. 

What's better than a funded graduate program that marries the intellectual with the nerdy? My only apprehension is the unknown of where a MA in Popular Culture takes me, but it really is an amazing program.

Edited by Neist
Edited for clarity.

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

Ive been painting a lot recently. And prepping for more backpacking.... That's a struggle in and of itself. 

Backpacking? Like... Going into nature and stuff? That's super intense! . . . Sometimes I take the elevator when only going up one flight of stairs. Me and a backpack in nature would probably be no bueno. 

Just now, FoxAndChicken said:

Backpacking? Like... Going into nature and stuff? That's super intense! . . . Sometimes I take the elevator when only going up one flight of stairs. Me and a backpack in nature would probably be no bueno. 

It's actually amazing how comfortable you can be going into nature carrying little to nothing.

Backpacking gear has progressed quite a long way. In the summer, I could probably go out for a couple nights carrying less than 15lbs.

Just now, Neist said:

It's actually amazing how comfortable you can be going into nature carrying little to nothing.

Backpacking gear has progressed quite a long way. In the summer, I could probably go out for a couple nights carrying less than 15lbs.

When I was thirteen my mom packed a bunch of stuff into the car and we drove to Maine for my birthday to go camping. The inflatable mattress deflated EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. I woke up every morning like :unsure: Is this a fat joke?! (It was a cheap inflatable mattress.) 

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

@FoxAndChicken Hahah.... yes outside. We're hiking over the Salkantay pass in May... over 15,000 ft elevation. Soooo, lots of prep on that one. It's basically a requirement that you enjoy climbing shit if you want to be a geologist. ;) 

What does a geologist do? I mean obviously that's like rocks, I think, but what kinds of research things do you do? What's your favorite mineral? O.o

Hey all. First post here. Decided I can't take the wait along anymore so I thought I'd sign up and partake in some collective anxiety ridden comradery. I applied to two programs and, judging by information on their websites and the results on grad cafe, I can expect to hear back from them mid to late March...so I guess i'll be here for the long haul, haha.

Really nervous, but hoping for the best.

1 minute ago, architronic said:

Hey all. First post here. Decided I can't take the wait along anymore so I thought I'd sign up and partake in some collective anxiety ridden comradery. I applied to two programs and, judging by information on their websites and the results on grad cafe, I can expect to hear back from them mid to late March...so I guess i'll be here for the long haul, haha.

Really nervous, but hoping for the best.

Hi! Welcome!