WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

I thought I had a while to wait for Cornell STS, but it turns out I might be wrong. 

Out of boredom I dug through previous years' results. There's only two acceptances in recent years, and they were on the 18th and 21st of February. Ergh. Rejections came later. Guess if I don't hear anything in the next two weeks I should consider the worst. I was already expecting the worst, but I always held out hope. :) Cornell STS is a career-making program.

I have a middle schoolers proficiency playing the cello.

I got an electric one off amazon a couple months ago and am trying to pick it back up. I've never been so thankful for an instrument you can plug headphones into.

2/3 of my schools have roller derby teams really close by, I kinda want to make that a grad school hobby.

You all are so accomplished in non-academic stuff!

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

I thought I had a while to wait for Cornell STS, but it turns out I might be wrong. 

Out of boredom I dug through previous years' results. There's only two acceptances in recent years, and they were on the 18th and 21st of February. Ergh. Rejections came later. Guess if I don't hear anything in the next two weeks I should consider the worst. I was already expecting the worst, but I always held out hope. :) Cornell STS is a career-making program.

Yeah I know what you mean about career making programs. I'm debating whether to email the graduate coordinator.  On my portal it says that one of my references hasn't started his letter. But he had technical difficulties so he emailed the letter to her. We corresponded and she said she received the letter and it has been uploaded to my file. I still feel super nervous though. I have this paranoid feeling that my application isn't even being reviewed....

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah I know what you mean about career making programs. I'm debating whether to email the graduate coordinator.  On my portal it says that one of my references hasn't started his letter. But he had technical difficulties so he emailed the letter to her. We corresponded and she said she received the letter and it has been uploaded to my file. I still feel super nervous though. I have this paranoid feeling that my application isn't even being reviewed....

That sounds like a perfectly acceptable excuse to contact the program and ensure your program was completed. :)

At least I'd consider using it as an excuse. Might be a good way to feel out how things are progressing.

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

That sounds like a perfectly acceptable excuse to contact the program and ensure your program was completed. :)

At least I'd consider using it as an excuse. Might be a good way to feel out how things are progressing.

What do you think of this?

Ms. person,

I logged onto the graduate portal and for Dr. ROC the portal says he hasn't started his letter. I'm double checking to see if I have everything completed. Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide. Have a great weekend.

Paranoid undergrad

You might add something about knowing their time is valuable and that your hesitant about contacting them. However, you want to ensure that your application was successfully completed given previously discussed technical difficulties.

Or something like that. I try to be as cordial as humanly possible. If you're hesitant about emailing someone, smother them in cordiality.

Just my two cents. I claim to be no expert. :) 

I ended up sending this. I hope this sounds ok.

Ms. gatekeeper,

My portal doesn't show Dr. mentor's letter as submitted. Is this because he submitted his letter through a different setup? I really just want to make sure the faculty has access to all of my materials and my application is complete. Would you mind double checking? Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

about to throw up person

8 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I ended up sending this. I hope this sounds ok.

Ms. gatekeeper,

My portal doesn't show Dr. mentor's letter as submitted. Is this because he submitted his letter through a different setup? I really just want to make sure the faculty has access to all of my materials and my application is complete. Would you mind double checking? Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

about to throw up person

Surely Ms. gatekeeper is kind enough to arrange for that.

I have a similar dilemma - usually I post my documents overseas with the cheapest Air Mail option (just like regular mailbox - postman - mailbox), but for added security I tried the Registered option, which includes Signature on delivery, for my latest application postage to Germany.

Now I'm panicking that if the office of the destination uni is unstaffed, the signature won't occur and the delivery won't occur...

Could anyone soothe my worries?

Much xoxo and love!

1 minute ago, thingii said:

Surely Ms. gatekeeper is kind enough to arrange for that.

I have a similar dilemma - usually I post my documents overseas with the cheapest Air Mail option (just like regular mailbox - postman - mailbox), but for added security I tried the Registered option, which includes Signature on delivery, for my latest application postage to Germany.

Now I'm panicking that if the office of the destination uni is unstaffed, the signature won't occur and the delivery won't occur...

Could anyone soothe my worries?

Much xoxo and love!

I'm the last person that can be described as soothing ha. Paris Geller is a free spirit compared to me. But you can always call tomorrow and ask!

@Need Coffee in an IV, I think that's fine. :)

While I wait I'm writing an abstract to submit my senior capstone paper to an undergraduate research conference. They want a 300 word abstract, which seems a little big for an abstract, but I'm very confident in my paper. It's probably the best research I've ever done, and I could probably grow the paper into a master's thesis. 

@thingii, I can't say for certain, but I think it'll be fine! I don't think Germany is one of the countries that I'd worry about their postal system. Italy, maybe, but not Germany.

@Neist That does seem huge for an abstract. Then again I can't really remember the word count for my friends' research so it may be normal? I'm happy you like your research so much/has potential for expansion. And thanks for helping me out! My boyfriend keeps telling me to breath ha.

Just received more upsetting news. It's looking really grim for me right now. I remember how happy I was to get so many interviews, but now I found myself wondering what went wrong. 

@Neist If you think 300 words is a lot for an abstract, look up what's required for the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference abstracts. Two full pages, which is practically a mini-paper. After doing one of those, I was very relieved to find that for the American Geophysical Union meetings, a few paragraphs is all you need. I about fell out of my chair as I was preparing to write that abstract.

40 minutes ago, magnetite said:

@Neist If you think 300 words is a lot for an abstract, look up what's required for the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference abstracts. Two full pages, which is practically a mini-paper. After doing one of those, I was very relieved to find that for the American Geophysical Union meetings, a few paragraphs is all you need. I about fell out of my chair as I was preparing to write that abstract.

Ack! My abstract is going to be pretty dry, but I gotta do what I gotta do. My research project was a piece of digital humanities research, so it's very statistical and most of the paper is remarking concessions that I've considered. Fascinating, I think, but dry.

In other news, I've been reviewing syllabus from the BGSU Pop Culture program that I obtained when I visited several months ago. These. Classes. Sound. Amazing. Every week would be amazing in this program. I almost don't care that I have no clue what I'd do with the degree. I'd enjoy myself and they are willing to pay me to attend. What else does one need?

Edited by Neist

Been trying to stay away from grad cafe for a bit so I can stop worrying but so far it hasn't worked. My anxiety is through the roof! Had a major headache last night from over sleeping during the day so I couldn't sleep all night. It's either I sleep too much or not sleep at all. Grad school application isn't too good for the human body. Lol

9 hours ago, nevermind said:

Ahhh, a Gilmore Girls reference. Probably my favorite show of all time! So pumped for the reboot!  :)

I'm so paranoid that the reboot will ruin everything ha. So if I hear through the grapevine Luck and Lorelai didn't end up together I'm ignoring the reboot ha.

Ugh! I'm feeling so depressed right now. I finally opened up to my brother about my assumed rejection and he didn't care at all. First time I said out loud that I might've failed already but he just doesn't understand what I'm going through and didn't even try to comfort me. :/

36 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Ugh! I'm feeling so depressed right now. I finally opened up to my brother about my assumed rejection and he didn't care at all. First time I said out loud that I might've failed already but he just doesn't understand what I'm going through and didn't even try to comfort me. :/

Does your brother really not care, or not know how to express it? My brother isn't great at communicating, but after 23 years and a lot of hardship we've gone through together, I know that his apparent lack of emotion isn't a reflection that he doesn't care. Not knowing anything about your situation, though, that may just be asinine to try and interpret a relationship I know nothing about. I really hope you can find someone to talk to, but no matter what know that people care about you!

Just wrote a few cordial emails to programs.

I am not a man of many skills, but I have to pat myself on the back when it comes to writing correspondence. I think it's a skill that will serve me well in my career.

7 minutes ago, Neist said:

Just wrote a few cordial emails to programs.

I am not a man of many skills, but I have to pat myself on the back when it comes to writing correspondence. I think it's a skill that will serve me well in my career.

I love sending emails. Literally my favorite thing to do. I probably sound really pretentious in them... Except there are like five people who really intimidate me that I prefer to just show up at their office like "Hi! I just had a quick question!" 

But usually I spend forever crafting an email like: 

Greetings Professor!

I was reading about a person, who's argument was that they argued a thing. I've been thinking about this problem a lot, and I believe I've come up with something relevant, but it requires a somewhat complicated explanation. I was wondering if you had time to speak about this matter sometime next week?

FoxandChicken
Student at a University
Undergraduate Class
Professional Web Developer at a Business.
City, State 

And then of course five minutes later I get back

k

sent from my iPhone