WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

11 minutes ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

I had a wild dream that all four of my remaining schools made me offers, but they all asked me to make a decision only after visiting. However, dream-logic was that I HAD TO VISIT THEM ALL IN A WEEK. So, I bounced between Oregon, Arizona, and Colorado, only to say "screw it" and ended up staying in the Rocky Mountains and avoiding civilization.

Waiting does weird things to your dreams.

Ha. I dreamt that I avoided making a decision by hiding in my office until after April 15th. 

2 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

@nightfarmergood! It sounds like you ended the night on a good note. 

@raaawrI'm sorry your friends haven't been very understanding :-( just know we totally get it! 

Thanks @gingin6789<3 I'm glad to be in this forum and have you guys to talk to through this hard time. lol. I just know if I don't get an interview invite this monday it's over for me. i'm really hoping for the best but i'm also expecting the worst. 

1 hour ago, nightfarmer said:

It's the weekend, aka the time when no admissions committees meet. To pass the time I'm going to watch the extended versions of all 3 LOTR movies.

that is a brilliant idea! i love LOTR! It's my favorite, and then star wars then harry potter. lol. I have the extended editions on bluray for the hobbit trilogy and the extended editions for lotr on dvd.

33 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Thanks @gingin6789<3 I'm glad to be in this forum and have you guys to talk to through this hard time. lol. I just know if I don't get an interview invite this monday it's over for me. i'm really hoping for the best but i'm also expecting the worst. 

that is a brilliant idea! i love LOTR! It's my favorite, and then star wars then harry potter. lol. I have the extended editions on bluray for the hobbit trilogy and the extended editions for lotr on dvd.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.

8 minutes ago, nightfarmer said:

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." -Samwise Gamgee

On 2/12/2016 at 6:51 PM, med latte said:

How's this for awkward:

I'm taking a course remotely, and at the beginning of the semester the professor scheduled phone conversations with every student to get to know us better, try to minimize hurdles that come with distance learning, etc. My scheduled time to meet with her via phone is tomorrow. She happens to be on the AdCom. The application deadline was Jan. 15th so the decisions are probably not made yet, but surely they have gone through one or two rounds by now. 

It's going to be sooooo hard to not scream out "I don't want to talk about the class! Tell me if I'm on the shortlist or not! I'm dyin' here!!!!"

OMG, it came out during our phone conversation that the adcom has not even received their application packets yet!!! The deadline was Jan. 15th. I could have handwritten copies of all the packets for them by now! WTF?!?! I had assumed they would have been through at least one round by now. Seems they are moving at glacial pace this year. The funny part came when the prof noted -- by way of encouragement -- "oh, but we are meeting this month!" This month. Not this afternoon. Not this week. But this month. Gee, thanks.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the adcom procedures I cannot change...

3 hours ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

I had a wild dream that all four of my remaining schools made me offers, but they all asked me to make a decision only after visiting. However, dream-logic was that I HAD TO VISIT THEM ALL IN A WEEK. 

This is actually startlingly close to my reality... In less than two weeks, I will be visiting all four of my schools over the course of 6 days. I think I will be dead at the end. And incredibly jet-lagged. There is no way that this ends well.

13 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny - It looks like that's also the last school you're waiting to hear from. I know the feeling of just wanting to have all the options on the table!

Yes! We're both pretty fortunate though, so I feel bad for complaining :)

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

Had a phone interview with a prospective advisor on Tuesday. I sent a thank you email the following day, with an innocuous question about the project I'd be working on. Haven't gotten a response. Probably a bad sign, right?

I didn't think to ask what the next steps would be during the interview, either.

Edited by magnetite

6 hours ago, med latte said:

OMG, it came out during our phone conversation that the adcom has not even received their application packets yet!!! The deadline was Jan. 15th. I could have handwritten copies of all the packets for them by now! WTF?!?! I had assumed they would have been through at least one round by now. Seems they are moving at glacial pace this year. The funny part came when the prof noted -- by way of encouragement -- "oh, but we are meeting this month!" This month. Not this afternoon. Not this week. But this month. Gee, thanks.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the adcom procedures I cannot change...

So, I am just checking out this thread since this long weekend is the death of me. For the first time, I am not excited about having a Monday off.

med latte, this revelation seems awful! It must be so hard becoming less informed from something that could've been helpful :/

As for everyone else, how are you all holding up? This is certainly a telling and revealing time for our patience, that's for sure!

This thread has gotten so entertaining :)  I don't remember waiting being so frustrating when I applied before so I'm not exactly sure what is different this time around.  As of right now I'm assuming a handful of rejections will arrive in the next week or so since I know interview invites have gone out.  Sure that's sad, but at the same time I just can't be bothered to get bent out of shape either.  I'll end up going where I'm supposed to go.  Otherwise I'm waiting without wine because I'm on painkillers and mixing the two is a no no.  I'm passing the hours with movies, naps, reading, short walks, and web surfing until I can return to work.

4 hours ago, DJS said:

So, I am just checking out this thread since this long weekend is the death of me. For the first time, I am not excited about having a Monday off.

med latte, this revelation seems awful! It must be so hard becoming less informed from something that could've been helpful :/

As for everyone else, how are you all holding up? This is certainly a telling and revealing time for our patience, that's for sure!

What holiday is it? Why is there no work on Monday? I noticed you're in NYC and the only school I applied to is in NYC. It seems Mondays are the only days they usually send interview invites so now I'm more anxious since it's a holiday. ?

4 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I think Monday is President's Day.  Banks will be closed, no mail is delivered....*sigh*

i like your signature quotes. lol! i love mindy project but i'm not enjoying the last season. they really steered off course with all the character personality changes. 

Edited by raaawr

So funny you say that because I have been angry since they put Mindy & Danny together.  It just isn't believable and single Mindy constantly dating weirdos was way more entertaining.  I'm struggling to stick with the show now that there's a baby, but ehhhh who knows.

Just now, MarineBluePsy said:

So funny you say that because I have been angry since they put Mindy & Danny together.  It just isn't believable and single Mindy constantly dating weirdos was way more entertaining.  I'm struggling to stick with the show now that there's a baby, but ehhhh who knows.

I don't mind the Mindy & Danny thing. They're cute but for me it's because Danny understands Mindy for all her quirks and accepts her but this season Danny became too controlling of her. Like the whole time they built up the relationship and now it's unraveling. I stopped watching halfway through the season cause I couldn't handle seeing Danny become that person. lol. I'm talking like I'm emotionally invested. haha!