WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

3 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

What time do y'all conduct your daily admissions status check? I'm going to hold off until 1pm today to give the west coast some time to wake up, haha.

Hmm, let's see... 8am, 9am, 10am, 10:30am, 10:45am... :P

Seriously, it's bad, but these decisions can really come at any time! I was getting ready for bed the other night at 11:30pm, wasn't even bothering to check my phone because I figured it was way too late to hear anything (I'm in EST and so are almost all of my schools). Looked at it one last time, had an email notification: acceptance from Pittsburgh. There really is no rhyme or reason to it. I think I'll calm down at the end of next week, though--I'm bracing for a waterfall of decisions on the 17th and 18th based on previous year's results. I could feasibly hear from seven schools in one day. :wacko:

1 minute ago, polarimetric said:

Hmm, let's see... 8am, 9am, 10am, 10:30am, 10:45am... :P

Seriously, it's bad, but these decisions can really come at any time! I was getting ready for bed the other night at 11:30pm, wasn't even bothering to check my phone because I figured it was way too late to hear anything (I'm in EST and so are almost all of my schools). Looked at it one last time, had an email notification: acceptance from Pittsburgh. There really is no rhyme or reason to it. I think I'll calm down at the end of next week, though--I'm bracing for a waterfall of decisions on the 17th and 18th based on previous year's results. I could feasibly hear from seven schools in one day. :wacko:

Yeah, it's also weird because different disciplines are on totally different schedules. I haven't heard anything yet, but my friends in math have all been notified... It's hard, because they keep tiptoeing around the subject like "If you haven't heard, you may have been shut out..." But like, they actually haven't notified anyone yet. T_T 

8 hours ago, pterosaur said:

Last Friday evening I got an email that my application was ready for review and I should expect a decision in 8-10 weeks. I also know that they do Skype interviews for 3/4 of the candidates. So I resigned myself to a wait. This morning (less than 5 working days later!) I received a horribly generic rejection letter. I thought I was a strong candidate for the program, definitely at least above the bottom 1/4! My ego wants to believe I hit some auto-rejection, but I honestly don't know what to make of it. It feels like a slap in the face.

Oh, gosh, that's such a bummer. I'm sorry. :(

Thanks @raaawr and @RCtheSS!

It's definitely not an incredibly pragmatic master's degree, but it sure would be fun! :D I did apply for sensible reasons, however.

The popular culture program has incredible pedagogical training, and a lot of the theory they teach significantly informs my research. Solid option overall.

Edited by Neist

So Cornell sent out an email to their Physics PhD applicants at 9AM last Friday saying "All admissions decisions will go out over the course of the next week."

Well, it's been a week and from what I can gather, everyone has heard back EXCEPT anyone who applied for one particular research area. No admissions, no rejections. Just limbo. The lot of us are on the edge of our seats, posting on the results page to let each other know that we're not alone. Nobody knows what's going on. The radio silence is so much more nerve-wracking after getting the 1-week notice. I guess the business day isn't quite over so it's possible we will hear back tonight. Nevertheless, anxiety is at an all-time high. :wacko:

16 minutes ago, Neist said:

Thanks @raaawr and @RCtheSS!

It's definitely not an incredibly pragmatic master's degree, but it sure would be fun! :D I did apply for sensible reasons, however.

The popular culture program has incredible pedagogical training, and a lot of the theory they teach significantly informs my research. Solid option overall.

Yay! Congrats @Neist! I feel like I've been rooting for you for awhile--so glad it turns out well! What a great way to kick off the weekend! SO glad you got a better (funded) choice near the top of your list! 

7 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Yay! Congrats @Neist! I feel like I've been rooting for you for awhile--so glad it turns out well! What a great way to kick off the weekend! SO glad you got a better (funded) choice near the top of your list! 

Thanks! :) Hopefully things still come back positive for yourself!

Their stipend isn't very large, but they eat nearly all fees, and the cost of living in Bowling Green is pretty low. I could probably get through two years of school, supporting my wife and daughter, with maybe only 10-15k in debt. That's completely reasonable for a earning graduate degree with a family. I might even be able to float less debt if me and my wife can well-manage our EIC each year.

I'm really glad I Googled pretty much every relevant graduate program in the US to my interests. I would have never found out about this program otherwise.

Edited by Neist

Is anyone else waiting on other decisions in addition to grad admissions right now? I also expect, in the next month, to hear back from a major conference, a major seminar and 2 jobs that I've applied to. My entire life is consumed by waiting right now. It's fun.

1 minute ago, nightfarmer said:

Is anyone else waiting on other decisions in addition to grad admissions right now? I also expect, in the next month, to hear back from a major conference, a major seminar and 2 jobs that I've applied to. My entire life is consumed by waiting right now. It's fun.

Yep. I've had 3 interviews in the past week for jobs (fall back options)...so I just kind of want to lie in bed until everything is decided and blown over. 

10 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Yep. I've had 3 interviews in the past week for jobs (fall back options)...so I just kind of want to lie in bed until everything is decided and blown over. 

I believe we have quorum, so let's just take a vote. Everyone in favor of fast forwarding through the rest of February? The yeas have it.

Just now, nightfarmer said:

I believe we have quorum, so let's just take a vote. Everyone in favor of fast forwarding through the rest of February? The yeas have it.

I'd like to go through about half of March, too. At least by March it should be fairly evident to everyone what their options are.

Maybe even to April. By April spots could free up after people start making decisions.

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Wooo hooo! I got into the BGSU Pop Culture program with funding!

Of the programs I applied to, it was definitely closer to the top of my list.

Congratulation! Good new before valentine day :D

Friday is about to end, but no new email to me. May be weekend or next week. Anyway I choose to learn a new programming language to kill time :)

1 minute ago, RCtheSS said:

I don't understand why we can't follow the lead of some animals and just hibernate. My body pretty much wants to whenever I wake up and it's below freezing. Just let us sleep until March!

Applicants, yes. But professors on admissions committees need to stay awake and go into work.

1 minute ago, nightfarmer said:

Applicants, yes. But professors on admissions committees need to stay awake and go into work.

Aha, yes! This is a very important distinction. 

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I just saw an email titled "Good News!", it was just my physics teacher assigning us homework.....

Earlier today I got an email titled "Graduate Admissions," and it was a solicitation to apply to a graduate program I requested info on about a year ago. <_<

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

Earlier today I got an email titled "Graduate Admissions," and it was a solicitation to apply to a graduate program I requested info on about a year ago. <_<

I keep getting spam mail from NYU about joining their engineering program, I just laugh and click delete. Trust me, you don't want me to design bridges and buildings haha. I also keep getting emails from duquesne university, which is an expensive private college that doesn't even have a museum program.

The only grad school email I received today was info about a fellowship from a program I was admitted to. Alas, I don't meet the eligibility criteria for the fellowship.

At least I'm spending the holiday weekend visiting UChicago! I've never been to the Windy City before so I'm very excited to explore the campus and city as a whole.