WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

So I've applied to eight masters programs.  Most of them will return decisions in March but one of them (near the top of my list) has sent out admits between February 12 and February 14 every year.  I'm going crazy.

46 minutes ago, seaweed sheets said:

Waiting to hear from Boulder, Edu PhD...

My girlfriend and I are just waiting on the news so we'll know where we're moving in 4 months.

If I check my inbox 10 time every hour, does that make the College of Education secretary send the emails quicker? Should I up it to 20 times an hour? Any help appreciated.

A watched pot never boils. ;)

I finally resorted to letting Outlook display new email in my system tray and a little floating notification on my screen. Usually I leave those options turned off during my workday, since knowing I have new work email is gross, but that's also the address I'll get my inevitable PhD rejection in, so. Better to know faster.

I'm almost at the point where I'm going to set my phone to autocheck email with great regularity. :(

20 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

A watched pot never boils. ;)

I finally resorted to letting Outlook display new email in my system tray and a little floating notification on my screen. Usually I leave those options turned off during my workday, since knowing I have new work email is gross, but that's also the address I'll get my inevitable PhD rejection in, so. Better to know faster.

I'm almost at the point where I'm going to set my phone to autocheck email with great regularity. :(

Yeah, I turned back on the Gmail alerts on my phone. Now every time my phone buzzes and it's another message about a stupid sale at Macy's, I get flustered.

6 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Another Februgatory week is about to end and still no email. I am going crazyyyyyy

Don't fret, there's still another 28.5 hours or so until it's completely done!

11 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

Yeah, I turned back on the Gmail alerts on my phone. Now every time my phone buzzes and it's another message about a stupid sale at Macy's, I get flustered.

STORY OF MY LIFE. I just adjusted my inbox settings on Gmail to only notify me when "primary mail" comes, so all those promotional emails don't bother me anymore. My phone has been so quiet ever since. Not sure if I prefer the silence to the false hope I get whenever it vibrates...

Since it's Lincoln's birthday tomorrow and Washington's birthday on Monday, can we expect not to hear anything from schools? Ugh. I can't believe this whole application process has made me dread weekends. 

Edited by flop

Every time I look at my phone my boyfriend says "you get in yet?" 

Dying

Accepted: 2/4    Rejected: 0/4    Awaiting: 2/4 

Edited by khaaps

42 minutes ago, WendyWonderland said:

Do they send notifications on weekends? My inbox has been so silent I am going crazy. I hate it that they wait untill March/ April to send out rejections. 

Sometimes. It's not unheard of.

Still nothing on my front. I'm assuming rejection from RPI, but I'll wait until the end of next week before it's official in my mind. They haven't responded to emails, so who knows? School I'm currently attending is supposedly making decisions by early next week. I imagine BGSU will be the week after. Cornell a week or two after that.

The wait is tedious.

36 minutes ago, Neist said:

The wait is tedious.

I have to say....that getting rejected (including assumed rejections) from 3/6 schools I applied to is somewhat liberating. I can use that valuable time checking the website doing other things. Honestly, despite the initial disappointment, I feel like I'm finally coming out of this fog I've been in since the beginning of December. It's nice not to stress out so much about decisions.

23 minutes ago, nevermind said:

I have to say....that getting rejected (including assumed rejections) from 3/6 schools I applied to is somewhat liberating. I can use that valuable time checking the website doing other things. Honestly, despite the initial disappointment, I feel like I'm finally coming out of this fog I've been in since the beginning of December. It's nice not to stress out so much about decisions.

I agree! I'd rather just know and move on with my life. :D 

I'm hoping I get some peace next week. 

13 minutes ago, Neist said:

I agree! I'd rather just know and move on with my life. :D 

I'm hoping I get some peace next week. 

Same here. It seems like BG last year had a big flurry of notifications on or around Valentine's Day, so it's possible that wait might end very soon. If only. But seriously, I would almost rather just know so I can start planning the rest of my year in terms of income, vacations, courses for fall. If I don't get into this program, there's a few one-year grad certs I could still do, and I'd want to jump on that.

It seems like NYU has already notified accepted students for comparative lit, so it looks like I'm 3/3 with rejections. You guys, I'm SO GOOD at getting rejected from grad school. I should turn it into some kind of career. Print business cards, the works.

Yesterday I really shut down after finding out I didn't get into my top school, went to bed so early just so I wouldn't be sad and awake. I'm glad I had a paper due today, or else I might've stayed in bed and moped all day. Tomorrow is a big day, I'll hear if I'm waitlisted or rejected from my top choice (my POI notified the person who was accepted yesterday, but is still finalizing their waitlist choices) and I'll hear if I'm definitively waitlisted at my second top choice (found out last week I'm waitlisted but have a "good chance" of getting accepted, I believe it's a funding issue?). Won't hear from a third school until maybe early next week, and the fourth school, who knows. They sent acceptances early this week. I have another interview coming up later in the month that I planned to cancel if I got into my top choice(s). Looks like I may have to shell out an exorbitant amount of money for a last minute plane ticket. Still have my fingers crossed for good news tomorrow. Hoping money falls into my POIs' laps!

19 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Same here. It seems like BG last year had a big flurry of notifications on or around Valentine's Day, so it's possible that wait might end very soon. If only. But seriously, I would almost rather just know so I can start planning the rest of my year in terms of income, vacations, courses for fall. If I don't get into this program, there's a few one-year grad certs I could still do, and I'd want to jump on that.

You know that's a good idea to keep myself busy if I'm not satisfied with applications this season.

I sent out thank you notes after my interviews, and just got a response that included the fact that the faculty are meeting tomorrow to make the decision on who to accept. I was told in the email to keep an eye on my mailbox for the next week, maybe two if the mail is slow. I don't know if it's going to end up at my apartment or my permanent address. I'm sitting here like, "if I'm really nice, I bet I could get some of the local post office workers to keep an eye out for that letter..."

Reasonable. 

4 hours ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:
41 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

I sent out thank you notes after my interviews, and just got a response that included the fact that the faculty are meeting tomorrow to make the decision on who to accept. I was told in the email to keep an eye on my mailbox for the next week, maybe two if the mail is slow. I don't know if it's going to end up at my apartment or my permanent address. I'm sitting here like, "if I'm really nice, I bet I could get some of the local post office workers to keep an eye out for that letter..."

Reasonable. 

Well, I got rejected from my top choice.

This completely sucks.

Do they all reply to your thank you email?  I have sent out three thank you emails and only received one reply ( 3 different schools).

I wonder those two school just hated me so much after my bombed interview so that they dont even bother to reply ( and it mean rejection lol)

54 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

Do they all reply to your thank you email?  I have sent out three thank you emails and only received one reply ( 3 different schools).

I wonder those two school just hated me so much after my bombed interview so that they dont even bother to reply ( and it mean rejection lol)

I sent five on Monday evening and so far, there have been four replies including the one I was talking about today. I had two replies Monday night, one from faculty. Then one from my host yesterday and the one from faculty today. I don't think it means anything about the decision they'll make, honestly. The replies have all been short, polite, and neutral. I think it'd be a little rude for them to not reply at all, but maybe I would think something else if no one had responded to my letters. I hope they respond to you! I sent notes to the three faculty who each interviewed me, my host, and the student who organized the interview weekend.