WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

@Neist It isn't over until there's a letter in your inbox! Don't lose heart just yet. 

@rosali Pizza is the best. I love pizza. I hope it brightens your night and your in the morning, should you have leftovers. Pizza for breakfast cures many an ill. 

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Aww, man. Cornell STS just posted an acceptance. 

Well, my heart just sunk a little.

Think it's time to get drunk. 

You will be fine! Just drink on Friday night, and you will fly to the sky ....

Lol you're not alone @flop because I was doing the same thing.  What I can't seem to make sense of is a few schools I've applied to have held interview weekends that I was not invited to (bummed, but life goes on) and some applicants have already received rejections, yet my status still says "under review."  If I wasn't chosen for an interview then it would seem I'm to be rejected, but then why not just send one?  The delay seems odd and it would also be odd if they were still reviewing my materials without an interview.  Just seems like unnecessarily dragging out the process.

6 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Lol you're not alone @flop because I was doing the same thing.  What I can't seem to make sense of is a few schools I've applied to have held interview weekends that I was not invited to (bummed, but life goes on) and some applicants have already received rejections, yet my status still says "under review."  If I wasn't chosen for an interview then it would seem I'm to be rejected, but then why not just send one?  The delay seems odd and it would also be odd if they were still reviewing my materials without an interview.  Just seems like unnecessarily dragging out the process.

Yup, knowing that notifications have been sent out is the worst. If I were on the admissions committee, I would just send out everything at the same time. We can only wish...

I lost my mind earlier and decided to make a fake email account to email the admissions director. I feel like l'm the craziest one here.

21 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I know that feeling! NC State sent out what seem like a lot of acceptances/wait list notifications for pure math, and I still haven't heard anything. I'm pretty sure I'll be rejected there, but I don't have my heart set there more than my other applications, thanks goodness!

2 hours ago, flop said:

Yup, knowing that notifications have been sent out is the worst. If I were on the admissions committee, I would just send out everything at the same time. We can only wish...

I lost my mind earlier and decided to make a fake email account to email the admissions director. I feel like l'm the craziest one here.

Omg you didn't?!  What on earth did you say?!  I pondered emailing them, but decided not to bother.  Good news seems to arrive early and not so good news arrives eventually so rushing it doesn't seem to have any benefits.

A lot of the schools I applied to are on the results board, but the only one with anything even in the broad college has already let me know "thanks but no thanks". It's a real guessing game right now because I have no idea when they'll start sending stuff out. Apparently graduate assistantships are decided "early in the spring semester" but it says nothing regarding notifications of decisions. 

No fair haha. Wine helps, and agreeing with @rosali so does pizza! Mmmmm pizza (I had some last night - it was delicious)

33 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Got my funding letter from penn state yesterday and i almost cry everytime i see it. Shit is real, yall. 

I would have never thought a student job would ever lead me to this. 

I'm glad it worked out for you. :) 

13 hours ago, Demeter said:

@Neist It isn't over until there's a letter in your inbox! Don't lose heart just yet. 

I appreciate the kind words. :) However, the results page lends little hope. I know that the results probably don't represent a statistically significant portion of the applicant pool to that program, but the results always show early acceptances followed by a week or two of rejections. I know there's a possibility that the results are not completely representative, I'd be shocked if I was wrong.

In other news, I'm going to pitch my new backpacking tent this weekend at a local park and get some initial impressions. It should keep me occupied for a few hours. :) 

Does anyone have any positive experiences with the "no news is good news" thing? One of the schools I applied to has acceptances, wait-lists, and rejections posted on the results... and I have no news... :/

Ughhhhh

Edited by wine-ing

1 hour ago, wine-ing said:

Does anyone have any positive experiences with the "no news is good news" thing? One of the schools I applied to has acceptances, wait-lists, and rejections posted on the results... and I have no news... :/

Ughhhhh

I'm in the same boat...a reach school for me just posted an email acceptance in my program. My status on their website remains unchanged, and I've yet to hear anything from them. Fully expecting to be rejected from this one, but still...

so, my rejection letter wasn't even sealed when it arrived. My dad read it before I did because it was open. 

I mean, I think I knew I wasn't going to be accepted there after I found out they were only accepting 3-4 people, and I've already been accepted to my top choice, but it still kinda sucks. But hey! now I know! No more waiting for that school.

7 hours ago, wine-ing said:

Ughhhhh

Yeah, for me it was UIUC. Didn't hear anything, not accepted or rejected or waitlisted when I saw plenty of results on the board for all 3. Then I got an acceptance like a month later :) 

36 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yeah, for me it was UIUC. Didn't hear anything, not accepted or rejected or waitlisted when I saw plenty of results on the board for all 3. Then I got an acceptance like a month later :) 

Oooh, well. I'll hold a tiny bit of hope. (It's so much better now that I have acceptance elsewhere so that would be nice from this school, but it doesn't make or break me.) 

Also: I have a glass of wine right now and it is glorious. 

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I hope this happens to me. :D But I'm not holding my breath.

You've done well this cycle!

20 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Omg you didn't?!  What on earth did you say?!  I pondered emailing them, but decided not to bother.  Good news seems to arrive early and not so good news arrives eventually so rushing it doesn't seem to have any benefits.

I just asked them when would be a reasonable date to expect a decision. I was told to be patient. LADY, I'VE BEEN PATIENT FOR MONTHS. DON'T TELL ME TO BE PATIENT.

Edited by flop

1 minute ago, flop said:

I just asked them when would be a reasonable date to expect a decision. I was told to be patient. LADY, I'VE BEEN PATIENT FOR MONTHS. DON'T TELL ME BE PATIENT.

Why is "patience" a virtue?

Why can't "hurry the f*ck up" be a virtue?

Oh no, I just realized tomorrow is Sunday, which is seriously the WORST day of the week (only because barely anything gets sent out).

How the application season has changed my perspective on life: weekdays = GREAT, weekends = HORRIBLE.

2 minutes ago, flop said:

I just asked them when would be a reasonable date to expect a decision. I was told to be patient. LADY, I'VE BEEN PATIENT FOR MONTHS. DON'T TELL ME BE PATIENT.

LMAO!  Well at least they don't know it was you.