WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

16 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:
2 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Why is "patience" a virtue?

Why can't "hurry the f*ck up" be a virtue?

I regret that I only have but one positive reputation point to give to this post.

I went ahead and made it the entire contents of my GRE analytic writing section. Got a 7.0 score.

Applied to ten places in Physics/Astro and haven't heard any damn thing from 9. 3 have already sent out a batch of acceptances, so I am not very confident about them. I don't think I am making it anywhere this year. Mainly because I don't have a physics major. Did self-study and research projects, good PGRE score, good LORs. Maybe I was always chasing something impossible. 

Whining all day long. 

I don't drink, so instead of wine, I occupied my Saturday baking dozens of chocolate chip cookies and then watching Netflix while drawing a very nice picture of a cow. Only one week until my Hertz interview and then all my visits! 

Late to the party, but glad it exists. I've heard from one program, but no funding letter yet. Waiting on two more, but at this point I'm ready to just be done with it and commit to the school that accepted me in January. No one in the boards for my field is talking about Penn State (ack?) but I'm getting psyched about living in State College.

Not psyched enough yet to stop refreshing my email every five minutes, though. Can we just fast forward to March? 

Heading to my last interview. If this school follows its notification pattern for the last few years, then I'll have an acceptance on Thursday or Friday, and a waitlist or rejection if I don't hear by then. Fingers crossed its an acceptance—it'll be my first and probably only (low chances of getting off any of the waitlists since I know that the applicants given offers accepted them immediately). I'm fine with just one! Only one school I visited gave me bad vibes (not the people, but the program structure or lack thereof) but I expected that going in given their stats. Trying not to freak out but this is pretty much my last chance. I don't know how to wow them into giving me an offer instead of putting me on the waitlist! I'm grateful for a waitlist vs an outright rejection, but the outcome has been pretty much the same for me :(

24 minutes ago, artsy16 said:

Heading to my last interview. If this school follows its notification pattern for the last few years, then I'll have an acceptance on Thursday or Friday, and a waitlist or rejection if I don't hear by then. Fingers crossed its an acceptance—it'll be my first and probably only (low chances of getting off any of the waitlists since I know that the applicants given offers accepted them immediately). I'm fine with just one! Only one school I visited gave me bad vibes (not the people, but the program structure or lack thereof) but I expected that going in given their stats. Trying not to freak out but this is pretty much my last chance. I don't know how to wow them into giving me an offer instead of putting me on the waitlist! I'm grateful for a waitlist vs an outright rejection, but the outcome has been pretty much the same for me :(

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you.

Does anyone else kick themselves for not applying to a program? I just found Arizona State's program and they have a faculty member who does exactly what I want and the offer funding. I didn't know about their program until now and their deadline was Dec 1st. Booo. Hopefully I won't need it and I'll get funded offers this round. If Not I guess there is always next year!

7 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Does anyone else kick themselves for not applying to a program? I just found Arizona State's program and they have a faculty member who does exactly what I want and the offer funding. I didn't know about their program until now and their deadline was Dec 1st. Booo. Hopefully I won't need it and I'll get funded offers this round. If Not I guess there is always next year!

Me! Lol. I didn't apply to 1 program cause I wasn't sure of the location but now that I'm unlikely to get accepted to my only application I was thinking of applying to the other program but they raised their gpa requirement from 3.0 to 3.5 so now they'll probably throw my application in the trash without even looking at it just based on gpa when I apply for the next season. ?

1 minute ago, raaawr said:

Me! Lol. I didn't apply to 1 program cause I wasn't sure of the location but now that I'm unlikely to get accepted to my only application I was thinking of applying to the other program but they raised their gpa requirement from 3.0 to 3.5 so now they'll probably throw my application in the trash without even looking at it just based on gpa when I apply for the next season. ?

Glad I'm not alone! That sucks, wish graduate schools wouldn't be so nerve wrecking. Tbh, a gap year wouldn't be ideal but I wouldn't mind if its just me. But my boyfriend is moving with me so his life is affected too. I got really good vibes from kansas, texas, and indiana so I hope those work out.

10 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Not a specific program, necessarily, but I kind of wish I'd pushed myself a bit more. I didn't think I was qualified for robotics PhD programs, so I applied to bioengineering programs that would let me go in a robotics direction. But for my top choice program, the advisor that accepted me is in robotics/computer science. And when I interviewed with another program, they asked why I hadn't also applied to the robotics program. So apparently I was more qualified than I gave myself credit for (or my personal statement was more effective than I thought). I'm a risk averse person in general, though. I don't really regret it, though, since I'm pretty sure my top choice would still have been my top choice!

15 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Oh yeah, there's 2 programmes that I would have loved to applied to this time round but unfortunately I was not eligible (I enquired). If I don't make it this time round, one of them is basically my top choice (needed my MSc in the bag before applying) and the other has an awesome reputation. 

14 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

There's some extra programs I might apply to, but I'm pretty aware of every program that applies to my research interests.

I sort of wish I had applied to the digital humanities MA at Loyola University Chicago. I probably would have enjoyed that a good deal.

2 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

Not a specific program, necessarily, but I kind of wish I'd pushed myself a bit more. I didn't think I was qualified for robotics PhD programs, so I applied to bioengineering programs that would let me go in a robotics direction. But for my top choice program, the advisor that accepted me is in robotics/computer science. And when I interviewed with another program, they asked why I hadn't also applied to the robotics program. So apparently I was more qualified than I gave myself credit for (or my personal statement was more effective than I thought). I'm a risk averse person in general, though. I don't really regret it, though, since I'm pretty sure my top choice would still have been my top choice!

Yeah I can understand that! I was kinda on my own when looking into programs since my professors only knew about geology programs. I saw several universities but I decided that the cost would be too high. I just wish I used my application fee on arizona instead of north carolina since greensboro is such an awful fit.

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh yeah, there's 2 programmes that I would have loved to applied to this time round but unfortunately I was not eligible (I enquired). If I don't make it this time round, one of them is basically my top choice (needed my MSc in the bag before applying) and the other has an awesome reputation. 

Too bad grad schools can't be like undergrad sometimes and see "potential" haha

2 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah I can understand that! I was kinda on my own when looking into programs since my professors only knew about geology programs. I saw several universities but I decided that the cost would be too high. I just wish I used my application fee on arizona instead of north carolina since greensboro is such an awful fit.

Kind of similar, actually. My background is in motor neuroscience, so the professors I was consulting with weren't terribly familiar with bioinspired robotics programs!

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

There's some extra programs I might apply to, but I'm pretty aware of every program that applies to my research interests.

I sort of wish I had applied to the digital humanities MA at Loyola University Chicago. I probably would have enjoyed that a good deal.

Yeah I was kinda using the internet as my main guide for programs, and Oregon was my "I will enjoy this a lot" choice. But I'm now starting to realize that this university will be not afforable, which is kinda sad. It looks amazing but I can't see myself being 51,000 in debt for a career that won''t make a lot of money.