Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

So I'm reading the 2015 thread and getting a little annoyed. It seems there's a perception that of the 6-10 spots a program has, 4-8 of them are filled before applications are even read simply due to networking with certain professors (maybe having your profs call them, speaking with them directly, etc).

How much truth is there to this? As an outside to sociology but with a pretty good GRE score (~100% verbal, ~70% quant), publications in my field, and two graduate degrees, I thought my profile was strong. Now it seems that at the top schools the pickings are super slim. What gives?

1 hour ago, nowayjose said:

So I'm reading the 2015 thread and getting a little annoyed. It seems there's a perception that of the 6-10 spots a program has, 4-8 of them are filled before applications are even read simply due to networking with certain professors (maybe having your profs call them, speaking with them directly, etc).

How much truth is there to this? As an outside to sociology but with a pretty good GRE score (~100% verbal, ~70% quant), publications in my field, and two graduate degrees, I thought my profile was strong. Now it seems that at the top schools the pickings are super slim. What gives?

It's true and not true. It also depends on the program. Professors have connections, and can reach out. However, this in itself will not get anyone accepted. All that this does is get an application looked at seriously. On the other hand, some programs operate through the buddy system a little more than others. 

12 hours ago, KLPLANTER said:

I got no news...no good and no bad. I'm dying over here. 

I just joined (after lurking for quite a while) so I could respond to this. I haven't heard anything good or bad yet either. I just wanted you to know that although there have been quite a few acceptances posted on here, you're not the only one who is in limbo sweating out the excruciating wait. :) 

However, I applied to UT Austin and didn't hear anything Friday so that is probably my first rejection. :( 

Edited by HopefulSocPhD

27 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

I just joined (after lurking for quite a while) so I could respond to this. I haven't heard anything good or bad yet either. I just wanted you to know that although there have been quite a few acceptances posted on here, you're not the only one who is in limbo sweating out the excruciating wait. :) 

However, I applied to UT Austin and didn't hear anything Friday so that is probably my first rejection. :( 

In the same boat as you all. Saw three Emory interviews and two Rutgers interviews on the board, but I'm still holding onto hope because I know I'm not rejected until I receive the official rejection notice!!

But still ... being in this limbo state is HARD.

But CONGRATULATIONS to the new UCSB admits I saw on the board today!

1 hour ago, redhillgirl said:

same here.  Feeling so insecure now...i hope im gonna at least hear from one on Monday. And hopefully an acceptance! That wud make the subsequent waiting so so so much easier. 

soooo insecure--I feel it

20 hours ago, nowayjose said:

I can't speak for all programs, but I don't think this is true at all. I've never served on a committee, or heard of a committee, where we already had a spot filled before the committee read the applications and voted. It is in these meetings where there might be discussion of a particular student who we've met or know or whose advisor made a personal call, but those are not shoo-ins, it's simply additional information to consider. Also, programs accept more people than they have space for, so if they want 6-10 people, they're making offers to 12-30 (or more, depending on how many they net).

I know it's a stressful time, but it is very early in the game. Many of the top programs who have accepted people will continue to make offers off their waitlists (even if students haven't officially been notified of such a status). Most places that can't guarantee funding now will find money later in the season. People doing interviews will schedule later interviews if they are unable to fill their cohorts with the earlier invites. Programs don't close up shop until April 15th. Don't lose hope until late March. There are certainly sociology superstars (and perfectly content - and employed - non-superstars) who were brought in off waitlists later in the game. Hang in there, everyone.

4 minutes ago, faculty said:

I can't speak for all programs, but I don't think this is true at all. I've never served on a committee, or heard of a committee, where we already had a spot filled before the committee read the applications and voted. It is in these meetings where there might be discussion of a particular student who we've met or know or whose advisor made a personal call, but those are not shoo-ins, it's simply additional information to consider. Also, programs accept more people than they have space for, so if they want 6-10 people, they're making offers to 12-30 (or more, depending on how many they net).

I know it's a stressful time, but it is very early in the game. Many of the top programs who have accepted people will continue to make offers off their waitlists (even if students haven't officially been notified of such a status). Most places that can't guarantee funding now will find money later in the season. People doing interviews will schedule later interviews if they are unable to fill their cohorts with the earlier invites. Programs don't close up shop until April 15th. Don't lose hope until late March. There are certainly sociology superstars (and perfectly content - and employed - non-superstars) who were brought in off waitlists later in the game. Hang in there, everyone.

Your post is just what so many of us needed to hear! Thank you! 

1 hour ago, faculty said:

Very awesome to hear, thanks so much. I only applied to a small # of programs who have yet to announce so I'm not freaking out, I was just worried that my application would not be given full consideration due to inside baseball. Glad to hear that is overblown.

I don't know if this is at all true, but I heard that some schools send offers to international applicants a bit later than domestic applicants. They need some time to prepare for your immigration information and additional documents. 

Just correct me if wrong, but in line with some of the previous postings, offers do shoot in at different dates. Hopefully this will relieve some of the anxiety for the folks here.

Congrats to the UW folk. I am applying there, too. 

3 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Your post is just what so many of us needed to hear! Thank you! 

Hey gingin! I think weekend offers are not actually made over weekends. Many of the schools I know closed their offices (i.e. UNC-CH) during weekends. Maybe that's just because some people don't report their acceptances at the same day they receive it, or some delays were set by the offices in the email delivery.

Edited by goofylemon
minor typo

40 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Hey gingin! I think weekend offers are not actually made over weekends. Many of the schools I know closed their offices (i.e. UNC-CH) during weekends. Maybe that's just because some people don't report their acceptances at the same day they receive it, or some delays were set by the offices in the email delivery.

I think it might also vary a little bit by program. One of my acceptances was a personal email from a professor first, followed by the official paperwork stuff later. She emailed on a weekend night and when I asked her about it she just said "That's when I got to it!" So maybe the program's own notification structure matters.

Either way, I would be okay with everyone emailing tonight! :P

@HopefulSocPhDHaha you are so sweet. Thank you for the support and the laugh. 

@isthisagoodideatthank you for your support, too! The publications aren't published yet, but they're in the works! Sometimes it just comes down to fit. Maybe one of the profs I wanted to work with wasn't taking on any new students *sigh* but still, I'm glad you and others think I am a strong applicant! That makes my day :-)

@redhillgirlAwww Thank you!! Seriously, you guys are helping me feel so much better. 

Edited by gingin6789