Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

38 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

I'm not sure if there's something else I'm missing since I've never been through this application process before, but it seems as if three acceptances at this point in the game is pretty impressive! I am just hoping for one acceptance. I only need one and that's where I'm going! :) You must have done something(s) right Kata. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence :):) 

9 minutes ago, redhillgirl said:

Is it me or does anyone else feel this thread seems rather deserted compared to the 2015 acceptance thread? I know it's too early in the game but i can almost rmbr the alias of everyone who ever replied to this thread by now.

Seems like some of the notifications are a little bit slower this time too. At least, that's how it looks according to the crazy chart I made where I listed the first acceptance for every school I applied to (over the last 3 cycles!) and the results board. I'm just glad the academic semester has started back up again so I have a little less time to obsess!

I know one of the schools I was accepted to told me they received 20-25% or so more applications than usual this time, which might help explain some of the delays too. 

Edited by Katastrophe
Generally poor grammar skills

11 minutes ago, redhillgirl said:

Is it me or does anyone else feel this thread seems rather deserted compared to the 2015 acceptance thread? I know it's too early in the game but i can almost rmbr the alias of everyone who ever replied to this thread by now.

I've been lurking for a bit but just now joining the conversation. This is my first year applying. I only applied to UC Berkeley and feel a little insecure compared to you all. I am braced for rejection but hoping for the best. UCB is my top and at this point only choice because of their availability of a gender concentration, their family inclusive campus culture,  and distance to Sacramento. I'm taking this as a learning experience and I am learning SO much from you all. Maybe next year, I'll apply for multiple programs. If rejected, I'll def work with UCB to find out what I need to do to strengthen my app. All of you great posts have been super helpful as I anxiously wait to hear back!

I'll list some info but if someone could PM me how you did your amazing signatures, that be great!

Masters in Social Work, lots of direct service and program management experience (particularly with survivors of sexual violence and the LGBT community), currently adjunct instructor in the field of diversity, I am a queer identified single mom and survivor myself, strong LOR, mediocre GRE, research interests are community responses to gender based violence within the lgbt community and the impact of intersecting identities, lots a presentation experience  (media and community), no publications.

7 minutes ago, DaisyGamble said:

I've been lurking for a bit but just now joining the conversation. This is my first year applying. I only applied to UC Berkeley and feel a little insecure compared to you all. I am braced for rejection but hoping for the best. UCB is my top and at this point only choice because of their availability of a gender concentration, their family inclusive campus culture,  and distance to Sacramento. I'm taking this as a learning experience and I am learning SO much from you all. Maybe next year, I'll apply for multiple programs. If rejected, I'll def work with UCB to find out what I need to do to strengthen my app. All of you great posts have been super helpful as I anxiously wait to hear back!

I'll list some info but if someone could PM me how you did your amazing signatures, that be great!

Masters in Social Work, lots of direct service and program management experience (particularly with survivors of sexual violence and the LGBT community), currently adjunct instructor in the field of diversity, I am a queer identified single mom and survivor myself, strong LOR, mediocre GRE, research interests are community responses to gender based violence within the lgbt community and the impact of intersecting identities, lots a presentation experience  (media and community), no publications.

Welcome! I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute to you other than saying that you and your interests sound very interesting and I wish you the best of luck! :)

Just now, mm3733 said:

Welcome! I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute to you other than saying that you and your interests sound very interesting and I wish you the best of luck! :)

Thanks! Unfortunately the only PhD program with a POI specifically doing this work is in Europe. UCB is the best fit on the west coast... so of course they have an 8% acceptance rate :/

BTW, I too am interested to know of Kat thinks anything in particular stands out in her applications that may have increased her chances :)

14 minutes ago, DaisyGamble said:

I've been lurking for a bit but just now joining the conversation. This is my first year applying. I only applied to UC Berkeley and feel a little insecure compared to you all. I am braced for rejection but hoping for the best.

To be perfectly honest, I am also bracing for rejection with an intense level of insecurity that I applied well above what I'm "qualified" for. Not to mention the horrid thought of application committees reading my packet and laughing at me for even applying... Insecurity; it's so real.

I lurked all through the application process and only joined the conversation once I realized that I was going to drive myself crazy checking my email every 5 minutes. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through the process of waiting. I applied to Berkeley too, and based on last year's results, it looks like they could notify acceptances as early as the end of this week. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us! :)

No real advice on creating a signature except I mostly copied @gingin6789's and replaced with my own stats. :D The signature editing is in Account Settings, I believe.

27 minutes ago, DaisyGamble said:

I think it's really great that you found such a great fit with Berkeley! I truly hope you get in, and I wish you the best of luck! I bet your statement of purpose was awesome, and that should resonate well with the adcomm.

As for how to do your signature, follow these directions:

1. at the top-right corner of your computer screen, you'll see a little bubble with your profile pic/avatar/forum pic and your username right next to that. 

2. Click on your username in the top-right corner.

3. Go to "account settings."

4. Under "account settings," there is a tab called "signature."

5. Click that and create your signature

6. Click "save."

Voila!

Haha @HopefulSocPhD I didn't notice you copied my signature until now because I've rarely been on my pc recently! I think that's awesome, and I'm flattered that you thought my signature layout was that nice! :D

Just now, KimchiRamen said:

Sorry, lurker here too. I just didn`t have anything to contribute. Just waiting around like everyone, I suppose. 

Congrats on UC Irvine and Ohio State though! Fantastic! *throws some confetti and shares some of the cake from before with you* 

Also, now I really want some ramen thanks to your username ... 

44 minutes ago, DaisyGamble said:

Wow! I myself am particularly drawn to applicants with "weird" profile - not the 4.00 GPA straight out of UG aiming to finish by age 25 i-only-wanna-publish ones. Your experience n work seem relevant to ur research agenda,  which i think is a big plus. I say that becos my work is also related to my research and im hoping it really is a plus, haha. Good luck n thanks for contributing to the thread! 

Edited by redhillgirl

@DaisyGamble I also only applied to one soc program that is a total reach, but fits my interests. I am highly doubtful I will be accepted (especially after seeing the boards today) but still would regret not applying! I think your experiences sound like the would be beneficial to a program! 

I applied to other non soc programs that are up my alley, and have heard from 3. I am going a little nuts waiting for all the apps to come back with decisions!!! 

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

Congrats on UC Irvine and Ohio State though! Fantastic! *throws some confetti and shares some of the cake from before with you* 

Also, now I really want some ramen thanks to your username ... 

Buahahaha Ramen is delicious, isn`t it?!?!  I think I'm concerned with food about as often as I'm concerned with this whole graduate school business. Added a profile picture just for you, gingin6798!

And thanks for the positive comment too. I am quite happy to get into those two programs, and, honestly, if I don't get accepted anywhere else, I will still be satisfied. 

Oh! And good luck to everyone who is still waiting for their first good news! It will come! :) 

Edited by KimchiRamen

2 hours ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

To be perfectly honest, I am also bracing for rejection with an intense level of insecurity that I applied well above what I'm "qualified" for. Not to mention the horrid thought of application committees reading my packet and laughing at me for even applying... Insecurity; it's so real.

I lurked all through the application process and only joined the conversation once I realized that I was going to drive myself crazy checking my email every 5 minutes. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through the process of waiting. I applied to Berkeley too, and based on last year's results, it looks like they could notify acceptances as early as the end of this week. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us! :)

No real advice on creating a signature except I mostly copied @gingin6789's and replaced with my own stats. :D The signature editing is in Account Settings, I believe.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

I think it's really great that you found such a great fit with Berkeley! I truly hope you get in, and I wish you the best of luck! I bet your statement of purpose was awesome, and that should resonate well with the adcomm.

As for how to do your signature, follow these directions:

1. at the top-right corner of your computer screen, you'll see a little bubble with your profile pic/avatar/forum pic and your username right next to that. 

2. Click on your username in the top-right corner.

3. Go to "account settings."

4. Under "account settings," there is a tab called "signature."

5. Click that and create your signature

6. Click "save."

Voila!

Haha

Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and help! I'm glad there's a great group to be anxious with me!

4 hours ago, KimchiRamen said:

Sorry, lurker here too. I just didn`t have anything to contribute. Just waiting around like everyone, I suppose. Also, I live half way across the world so I guess everyone is sleeping when I`m active.

Also lurking. Also live halfway across the world.

Yes, lurking as well with nothing to add as of yet. I think Washington decisions will trickle in this week (as results history indicates). It's frustrating that universities withhold rejections for so long.

21 hours ago, liesandfish said:

I am freaking a little too, Harvard is the only Soc program I applied to, as a complete long shot, I was not aware they interviewed// do most Soc programs interview? 

Some do, but none of the school's that I applied to have a precedent of doing so. I think most of the interviews for sosh programs are intended to help POI's gauge the language proficiency of international applicants. 

3 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

I have lurked for far too long on this page. Question: does anyone know of non-west coast programs that are good for sociology of law?

Northwestern is the one that comes to mind as potentially missing from your list.

13 hours ago, KimchiRamen said:

Sorry, lurker here too. I just didn`t have anything to contribute. Just waiting around like everyone, I suppose. Also, I live half way across the world so I guess everyone is sleeping when I`m active.

Welcome! Looks like we've applied to a couple of the same schools (Harvard and UMass). Boston is an amazing - albeit expensive city- to live in. Good luck with your admissions, and keep us posted! :)

Claim UT-A rejection.

I am not so active in the forum so perhaps no one cares. However, I still cannot express how sad I am about the results.

The fact when I heard my application got into the final cut but still lost before the finishing line is extremely depressing.

I thought my application was strong and a good fit with the program. Sadly I cannot say a word in the judgment process.

4 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Claim UT-A rejection.

I am not so active in the forum so perhaps no one cares. However, I still cannot express how sad I am about the results.

The fact when I heard my application got into the final cut but still lost before the finishing line is extremely depressing.

I thought my application was strong and a good fit with the program. Sadly I cannot say a word in the judgment process.

Wow, you had the 167v 170 q GRE, right? That's pretty shocking. Maybe they figured you would turn them down for elsewhere?

50 minutes ago, Shay825 said:

Some do, but none of the school's that I applied to have a precedent of doing so. I think most of the interviews for sosh programs are intended to help POI's gauge the language proficiency of international applicants. 

Ahhh. Thank you for the info! I mainly applied to crim/CJ programs but met a prof. from Harvards soc program at a conference who suggested I apply. But I know very little about how soc programs are, just that he studies what I have/do/want too.

i am sure you will be fine! Your stats are impressive!