Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

18 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

How many offers will a top school send out that accepts 6-10 applicants a year? Roughly? 20? 30?

I'm sure it depends on the school because they probably work from data on their typical 'yield' of acceptances, but the stats for the schools I applied to suggest they accept around 2 to 2.5x their ideal incoming cohort as a first wave, then keep a few more on unofficial/official wait lists.

1 hour ago, s0ciology1992 said:

anyone else waiting for berkeley and princeton? gahhhhhh

I applied to Berkeley. Given the acceptance dates from the past three years on the results board, I wasn't expecting to see any movement until the 28th or after. 

16 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

craaaaaaaapppp UC davis acceptance posted.............................. 

Yes, would the person accepted care to share whether it was a personalized email from their POI or more of a mass email? Davis is high on my list! 

Whoever it was, congratulations! *throws confetti*

Hi!  I created an account just to reply to this thread.  I was the one who was just accepted to UC Davis! 

To answer your question, it was a personal email from someone on the admissions committee.  She said they're working on the funding still, but they wanted to let me know about their decision asap.

Hope that helps!  Good luck to you all!

55 minutes ago, 123letsgo said:

Hi!  I created an account just to reply to this thread.  I was the one who was just accepted to UC Davis! 

To answer your question, it was a personal email from someone on the admissions committee.  She said they're working on the funding still, but they wanted to let me know about their decision asap.

Hope that helps!  Good luck to you all!

You're so kind to create an account just to reply to my question!

First of all: CONGRATULATIONS!! *Shares some of the cookies from earlier in the thread with you* I'll make some fresh cookies for the thread tomorrow ...

Second of all: Thank you for answering my question! I sure hope to join you at the accepted kids table!! :D 

5 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

I'm pretty sure this means no for us........they would have done it all at once.

Hey, you never know. Acceptances don't always go out all at once, not even for Davis (last year, most went out at once, yes, but there was one posting where someone got an acceptance several days after the bulk of them went out). 

Two years ago, a good friend of mine thought she might not have made the cut, but she awoke one morning to a pleasant surprise: a notification of acceptance days after the bulk of acceptances were sent out. She's now there at Davis as a grad student.

It's not over until we get that rejection notice, friend =) We'll hang in there together!

Edited by gingin6789

1 minute ago, nowayjose said:

Any predictions for this lovely tuesday

Did I just hallucinate a whole day or is it actually Wednesday? :P 

I predict several rejections and a handful of acceptances... from some graduate programs... in sociology. (I'm going with the prediction strategy of being intentionally vague so that I'll be right no matter what.) :) 

11 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

Did I just hallucinate a whole day or is it actually Wednesday? :P 

I predict several rejections and a handful of acceptances... from some graduate programs... in sociology. (I'm going with the prediction strategy of being intentionally vague so that I'll be right no matter what.) :) 

lol oh man, the law firm life is messing with my timing. thank god, rather it be wednesday.

6 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

lol oh man, the law firm life is messing with my timing. thank god, rather it be wednesday.

I understand. I'm a high school teacher at the moment, and I often do the same thing. But being Wednesday, it means only 2 more days until the weekend! And, hopefully we'll get some grand acceptances by Saturday too. Something to really look forward to! :) 

Edited by HopefulSocPhD
spelling

A while back I made a made a chart with the schools I applied to noting their first recorded date of acceptances in the past three seasons (2015, 2014, 2013). Of those it looks like we are in the ball park for these:

Washington  21-Jan, 25-Jan, 18-Jan

Princeton   26-Jan, 29-Jan, 1-Feb

Berkeley     28-Jan, 31-Jan, 31-Jan

Penn State   30-Jan, 1-Feb, 25-Jan

Can't speak to anything else and it might be completely different this year, but it's a prediction right? :P The wait is driving me nuts!

Note: There is an acceptance in the results forum for Washington already though.

3 minutes ago, Katastrophe said:

A while back I made a made a chart with the schools I applied to noting their first recorded date of acceptances in the past three seasons (2015, 2014, 2013). Of those it looks like we are in the ball park for these:

Washington  21-Jan, 25-Jan, 18-Jan

Princeton   26-Jan, 29-Jan, 1-Feb

Berkeley     28-Jan, 31-Jan, 31-Jan

Penn State   30-Jan, 1-Feb, 25-Jan

Can't speak to anything else and it might be completely different this year, but it's a prediction right? :P The wait is driving me nuts!

Note: There is an acceptance in the results forum for Washington already though.

We're also coming up on the realm of possibility for:

UW Madison     Feb 2,  Jan 28,  Feb 7

Stanford     Feb 2,  Jan 28,  Feb 1

Someone just posted on the results board that their status for UT Austin still said "in review." Mine also still says this. I looked back at last years Accept/Reject thread and it looked like the website status for some people didn't get updated for quite a while. I emailed the grad coordinator earlier this week to check and haven't heard anything back; just no response at all. I would guess that those who were not notified from UT are probably rejected (myself included) and that the program forwarded files to the grad school to make the official rejections happen, including changing the status on the website. Obviously, this is just a guess, but I imagine there are quite a few of us who have not heard anything from UT yet. Official rejections from UT Austin didn't happen until Feb. 4th last year. 

b701776b877ab6e626870389bde5894a.jpg

Edited by HopefulSocPhD
corrected date

1 hour ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

We're also coming up on the realm of possibility for:

UW Madison     Feb 2,  Jan 28,  Feb 7

Stanford     Feb 2,  Jan 28,  Feb 1

And also (at least based on 2015):

Duke 1/28-30, 2/4, 2/15

Maryland 1/31, 2/18, 1/31

Vanderbilt 2/3, 2/21, 2/11