Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

5 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Accepted to Rutgers, wait listed for funding! *twirls about*

Yay! Congratulations Gingin!

3 minutes ago, krispykreme said:

To the BROWN poster in the results page that said "email received, decisions out later today" -- are there additional offers? Or, just "decisions" aka... rejections?

I was wondering the same. Though I think it's probably rejections, I'd rather know than not know, ya know? ;)

Edited by HopefulSocPhD

1 minute ago, goofylemon said:

I think the offers for Brown has not completely went out at this point because we are having small cohort this year.

just guessing.

Sorry, could you clarify? As in, they are trying to keep the cohort small, or they are being more careful with rejections since this year's cohort ended up smaller than intended?

1 hour ago, SincerelyI said:

For Chicago applicants, I called the Department and the lady said the results would be out by the 1st week of March! Much later than expected :(

Btw I'm facing this weird problem of having to reset my password for Gradcafe every time I try to sign in (the existing password will never work). Does anyone know how to solve it?

I had the same problem - use your username, not email, to log in. :)

43 minutes ago, lioneironaut said:

Sorry, could you clarify? As in, they are trying to keep the cohort small, or they are being more careful with rejections since this year's cohort ended up smaller than intended?

Sorry for the confusion. I mean, programs with small cohorts normally have a waitlist so that when the cohort size is running **too small** it is the time to place the waitlisted applicants in. This is true for all small-cohort program.

Edited by goofylemon

1 hour ago, krispykreme said:

To the BROWN poster in the results page that said "email received, decisions out later today" -- are there additional offers? Or, just "decisions" aka... rejections?

Hey ! That was me. Basically I emailed yesterday in the afternoon (UK time) asking when decisions would be made/we would be notified and they replied about an hour ago saying " Decisions are expected to be sent sometime later today". 

2 minutes ago, Hesty said:

Hey ! That was me. Basically I emailed yesterday in the afternoon (UK time) asking when decisions would be made/we would be notified and they replied about an hour ago saying " Decisions are expected to be sent sometime later today". 

Ah! mystery solved. Thank you

5 minutes ago, Hesty said:

moveatglacialpacememe.jpg

7 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

No brave soul has asked nyu/columbia their eta, right?

I have not contacted either program. NYU's website says specifically NOT to contact them until after March 15th. NYU notified acceptances last year starting on February 9th. Columbia started notifying acceptances last year on February 6th. So, realistically they could start to notify anytime now I suppose.

@HopefulSocPhD I have an essay due tomorrow morning- I need this rejection to be over with. Pretty certain there are no more places and it'll just be rejections from here on out.... ugh. Anyone think there is any hope for people who haven't heard yet ? 

3 minutes ago, Hesty said:

@HopefulSocPhD I have an essay due tomorrow morning- I need this rejection to be over with. Pretty certain there are no more places and it'll just be rejections from here on out.... ugh. Anyone think there is any hope for people who haven't heard yet ? 

Where have you applied?

3 minutes ago, Hesty said:

I'm trying to hold on a little bit of hope, but realistically I think Brown is most likely done with their offers of admissions. As @goofylemon mentioned, they have a small cohort and the accepted posts on the results page roughly match what I have seen from past years. *le sigh*

Just now, Shay825 said:

Where have you applied?

Brown, Berkeley and Yale. I have a strong undergrad record and good recommendations but pretty low GRE scores... I'm from the UK where you can drop maths at age 15 so... quant is not a strength ! If I'd have known that it would matter I would never have applied ! But hey- you live you learn :/ 

1 minute ago, Hesty said:

Brown, Berkeley and Yale. I have a strong undergrad record and good recommendations but pretty low GRE scores... I'm from the UK where you can drop maths at age 15 so... quant is not a strength ! If I'd have known that it would matter I would never have applied ! But hey- you live you learn :/ 

I feel your pain. I completely bombed the math portion. I'm doubtful that I'll get an acceptance this season, but my plan is to get a math tutor, kick ass on the GRE retake, get a couple of papers published, and try again in the fall.

FYI - here's the message that I received from Northeastern, in response to my emailed status request...

" Thank you for reaching out about your PhD application! The Admissions Committee is currently reviewing all Fall 2016 applications and will be finalizing their decisions within the next few weeks. We have not extended any offers yet. "

1 hour ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

I have not contacted either program. NYU's website says specifically NOT to contact them until after March 15th. NYU notified acceptances last year starting on February 9th. Columbia started notifying acceptances last year on February 6th. So, realistically they could start to notify anytime now I suppose.

if anybody dares to contact nyu or columbia please report back...

Thanks, everyone! Very excited for good news from Rutgers! Hope the funding comes through as well! Will anyone be joining me at the open house on March 2?

WOW, it looks like Columbia and Brown folks are on the edge of their seats, and I'm on the edge of mine for Boulder because I heard their decisions have been made!

As always, let's wait together. <3

9 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

Me after submitting my six apps in october and haven't gotten a decision or anything at all back since

c4jt321.png

One of the most accurate depictions of waiting to hear back from grad schools that I've ever seen lol