Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

2 hours ago, SOCapp20 said:

Long time lurker but just received a belated acceptance to Columbia. has anyone heard of this happening before? I had not been notified i was on any type of wait list and had been expecting a rejection after seeing acceptances go out earlier this month. Just got an email to check the website and there it was

1 hour ago, annika said:

i just got one, as well! Keeping my fingers crossed that it wasn't a mistake...

Another long time lurker - also received a belated acceptance to Columbia today and also hoping it wasn't a mistake. What sort of funding package were you all offered? I'm just wondering how similar our emails were. Anyways, congrats to you all!

5 minutes ago, soc2016 said:

Another long time lurker - also received a belated acceptance to Columbia today and also hoping it wasn't a mistake. What sort of funding package were you all offered? I'm just wondering how similar our emails were. Anyways, congrats to you all!

I PM'd you!

40 minutes ago, Frank Knight said:

By chance has anyone heard from UC Merced?

I'm in the psych program at UC Merced and we're having our prospective student day this friday, not sure what poli sci is doing though but almost all the programs are doing it Friday and Saturday this week.

1 hour ago, revquackers said:

I'm in the psych program at UC Merced and we're having our prospective student day this friday, not sure what poli sci is doing though but almost all the programs are doing it Friday and Saturday this week.

Thanks for the head's up.

Lurked for a while. No news happened. 

No news from Princeton as well, checked my spam.

Edited: Ahahahaha! Oh it was sent to another email system, Rejected, woohoo! Did not expect at all, so there is no reason to be sad.

claim an earlier NYU admits though. <- will be declining it, so finger crossed for the waitlisted friends.

Edited by goofylemon

25 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

claim an earlier NYU admits though. <- will be declining it, so finger crossed for the waitlisted friends.

If I get off the waitlist based on your decline, I'll send you a thank you card and buy you a pizza :)

27 minutes ago, annika said:

In a cruel twist of fate, Columbia PhD acceptances yesterday were a clerical error. They didn't even apologize in the correction email. 

Oh my god... are you serious? That is so messed up!!!   WTF Columbia??? Get your shit together... seriously. Wow. I'm speechless and I bet you are pissed. Damn them.

30 minutes ago, annika said:

In a cruel twist of fate, Columbia PhD acceptances yesterday were a clerical error. They didn't even apologize in the correction email. 

Oh wow, that's terrible!!! How does that even happen?! They really owe all those mistakenly contacted last night some SERIOUS apologies. I'm really sorry it turned out to be an error. Seriously Columbia, do better!

Wow, that Columbia thing is horrific. Sympathy to those affected.

On another note: is there a way to reply to people on the results board? Occasionally people post questions there ("anyone accepting/rejecting xyz?" "anyone heard about funding?") but I'm not sure how people are meant to respond.

4 minutes ago, macadamia tea said:

Wow, that Columbia thing is horrific. Sympathy to those affected.

On another note: is there a way to reply to people on the results board? Occasionally people post questions there ("anyone accepting/rejecting xyz?" "anyone heard about funding?") but I'm not sure how people are meant to respond.

I've seen people use the "Other" option to do that (instead of "accepted", "rejected" or "wait-listed).

News for my fellow applicants waiting it out for Hopkins:

I reached out to their amazing program director to inquire about their hopeful timeline and was informed that they are still working though the final list and will be notifying folks near the end of the month.  So my earlier prediction -- based on years past -- that the first round would go out this Friday (tomorrow) looks to be incorrect. In any case, I hope this is helpful and will take some pressure off of their program admin in case some of you were also thinking of inquiring. 

I've played this waiting game 4 times now: one failed attempt during last year of undergrad, one for an MA that I ended up leaving, another for the MA I recently finished, and now. It never gets any easier.  The anguish is almost too much to bear. With that, I give my utmost condolences to those caught up in the Columbia debacle. That really is inexcusable. Folks in this forum know the desperation of this process and how just one acceptance can be a nothing short of a life boat in a stormy sea. I am so sorry. Whoever was responsible should be held to account. 

1 hour ago, annika said:

I truly cannot believe this. I let out a "NO WAY" in a public area reading this just now. Simply unacceptable. I can't imagine... I was considering applying there, too. My sincerest condolences to those who rode that high only to crash into the ground. You deserve at LEAST an apology. 

On ‎17‎.‎2‎.‎2016 at 4:32 PM, Paul_SOC said:

Anyone ever hear from U of Toronto or UBC (British Columbia)? , I apply for both these schools and both are masters. 

Nothing from Toronto yet. Results suggest bad news for the rest of us.